cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious about some models not found in the site's compatible phone finder

MajorTalent
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Can anyone confirm/ advise which of the following would work on a Public Mobile plan that still has 4G LTE data speed included?

• Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 (X00T)
  • Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2 (X01BD)
  • HTC U Ultra (oce)
  • LG G7 ThinQ (judyln)
  • Moto G3 (2015) (osprey)
  • Moto G3 Turbo (merlin)
  • Nokia 6.1 (PL2)
  • OnePlus 7T Pro (hotdog)
  • OnePlus 8 Pro (instantnoodlep)
  • OnePlus 8T (kebab)
  • Realme X2 Pro (RMX1931)
  • Samsung Galaxy A30 (a30)
  • Xperia 10 (kirin)
  • Xperia 10 Plus (mermaid)
  • Xperia XA2 (pioneer)
  • Xperia XA2 Plus (voyager)
  • Xperia XA2 Ultra (dicovery)
  • Mi 9T Pro (raphael)
  • Mi 10 [5G] (umi)
  • Mi 10 Pro [5G] (cmi)
  • Mi A2 Lite (daisy)
  • Mi A3 (laurel_sprout)
  • Mi Mix 2s (polaris)
  • Mi Max Prime (helium)
  • Mi Pad 4 / Plus (clover)
  • Poco F1 (beryllium)
  • Poco M2 Pro (gram)
  • Poco X3 NFC (surya)
  • Redmi 5 (rosy)
  • Redmi 5 Plus (vince)
  • Redmi K20 Pro (raphael)
  • Redmi Note 5 (vince)
  • Redmi Note 5 Pro (whyred)
  • Redmi Note 6 Pro (twolip)
  • Redmi Note 7 Pro (violet)
  • Redmi Note 9S (curtana)
  • Redmi Note 9 Pro (curtana, joyeuse)
  • Redmi Note 9 Pro Max (excalibur)
  • Redmi S2 (ysl)

Thank You

40 REPLIES 40

MajorTalent

You are doing great, this is amazing. So 3G plans stay at 3mbps while 4G LTE should be 10X the speed but a good rate to expect as an average should be around 20mbps (though not guaranteed because sometimes you could get slightly higher or lower).

I think I've got this now, sounds great to me! Sorry that I have no idea how to reply with your name in the message yet (I click reply next to your answer but it doesn't include your message or name with the @ symbol)

One last request: aside from how to accomplish the above, can you instruct me on how to address my technical question to the @sheytoon user you suggested?

@MajorTalent 

Pm uses 3G for calling but you have the option to use it for data. But the speed you recieve can vary wildly which is hy throttled 4G LTE is better bbecause it stays the same but can handle lots of traffic. If you needed a higher speed you could switch to 3G at say midnite and likely get top speed but in the middle of the day when the network is busy watching a video would be frustrating due to buffering as the speed will vary and likely be very slow depending on traffic.

ashleyskye

Copied from an old post by @Lachlan_M

Public Mobile works on following frequencies: 

• For 3G use (UMTS/HSPA): 850MHz/1900MHz bands
  • For 4G/LTE use: 1700MHz/2100MHz bands
  • For 4G/LTE use: 700 MHz band

Which means most of the 3G,4G HSPA/ LTE phones that are compatible with these frequencies will work on Public Mobile.

@MajorTalent 

Wow well your testing everything i have learned in the last year but i will do my best....

1.  3gbps was a typo it should be 3mbps (already edited and fixed). If you are grandfathered in that means you get full speed average 20mbps but could go much higher or lower for that matter whereas throttled to "3G" speed is a misnomer it stays consistent at 3mbps.
  2. 9mbps is 3 times as fast as 3mbps. 4G LTE (unthrottled) is 10 times faster than 3G speed.
  3. Techinical question more for someone like @sheytoon  but different bandz work better for certain situations like short or long distances, penetrating buildings, flat vs hilly terrain etc...,

MajorTalent

I have done some work, I already confirmed 2 - 3 times that amount (of other models I was interested in) to be available in the phone finder first. Thanks for your help though

MajorTalent

Thanks for the reply. No not a joke, just trying to be thorough and able to grasp this stuff. Can you be a bit more clear:

1) Are you saying I need specific bands on both calling and LTE side?

2) If so, does that mean as long as I have at least one from each I should be fine?

3) Can you please specify all bands Public Mobile uses for both (I feel like I've been trying to get a proper list answering this exact question for years on this community forum)?

MajorTalent

The speedy reply is much appreciated. If I understand you correctly, would it be safe to assume that as long as it has the same LTE bands then it will work on our network (SIM and internet function, even if it's a foreign device)?

Oh and I believe I'm grandfathered but your reply has given me 3 additional questions:

1) When you say throttled to 3gbps, does that go for just the grandfathered 4G LTE plans or 3G plans also?

2) What's the difference between 9mbps and 3gbps?

3) What will be the difference between using a Google Pixel 2 on Band12-700MHz vs Band7-2600MHz (is the higher MHz faster, stronger etc. What does it mean/ How does it work)?

Thanks again, hopefully someone can finally help me understand some of the technical stuff a bit better after all these years

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@MajorTalent 

your list is too long.. 

you do some work too.. trim down to 2 or 3 and we can help.. not a long list like that

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@MajorTalent 

Firstly unless you have a grandfathered plan  there are no current plas offered that include full speed 4G LTE data. All offerings have 4G LTE throttled to 3mbps or you can manually choose 3G data with (YMMV) up to 20mbps average 9 -12mbps. 

Secondly.....that's a long list. You can always check on.......

https://willmyphonework.net/

Edit: But yes to most of the phones on your list.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This has to be a joke.

For calling the phone needs 3G/UMTS/WCDMA B2 and B5 - 1900 and 850

For LTE the phone needs B4 and B12 and others like 5 and 7.

Need Help? Let's chat.