cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious about some models not found in the site's compatible phone finder

MajorTalent
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Can anyone confirm/ advise which of the following would work on a Public Mobile plan that still has 4G LTE data speed included?

• Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 (X00T)
  • Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2 (X01BD)
  • HTC U Ultra (oce)
  • LG G7 ThinQ (judyln)
  • Moto G3 (2015) (osprey)
  • Moto G3 Turbo (merlin)
  • Nokia 6.1 (PL2)
  • OnePlus 7T Pro (hotdog)
  • OnePlus 8 Pro (instantnoodlep)
  • OnePlus 8T (kebab)
  • Realme X2 Pro (RMX1931)
  • Samsung Galaxy A30 (a30)
  • Xperia 10 (kirin)
  • Xperia 10 Plus (mermaid)
  • Xperia XA2 (pioneer)
  • Xperia XA2 Plus (voyager)
  • Xperia XA2 Ultra (dicovery)
  • Mi 9T Pro (raphael)
  • Mi 10 [5G] (umi)
  • Mi 10 Pro [5G] (cmi)
  • Mi A2 Lite (daisy)
  • Mi A3 (laurel_sprout)
  • Mi Mix 2s (polaris)
  • Mi Max Prime (helium)
  • Mi Pad 4 / Plus (clover)
  • Poco F1 (beryllium)
  • Poco M2 Pro (gram)
  • Poco X3 NFC (surya)
  • Redmi 5 (rosy)
  • Redmi 5 Plus (vince)
  • Redmi K20 Pro (raphael)
  • Redmi Note 5 (vince)
  • Redmi Note 5 Pro (whyred)
  • Redmi Note 6 Pro (twolip)
  • Redmi Note 7 Pro (violet)
  • Redmi Note 9S (curtana)
  • Redmi Note 9 Pro (curtana, joyeuse)
  • Redmi Note 9 Pro Max (excalibur)
  • Redmi S2 (ysl)

Thank You

40 REPLIES 40

@sheytoon  @computergeek541 

Is this like getting 19 ( not COVID-19) in your hand when playing crib?

@sheytoon wrote:

Fun fact: 42 Mbps for DC-HSPA and 21 Mbps for single carrier HSPA include overheads due to coding rates. It's impossible to get 42 or 21 Mbps, even inside an ideal lab.

You're right, but it's possible to get pretty close. I've been at around 35Mbps a few times, although I realize such tests are not 100% accurate.

Fun fact: 42 Mbps for DC-HSPA and 21 Mbps for single carrier HSPA include overheads due to coding rates. It's impossible to get 42 or 21 Mbps, even inside an ideal lab.

@computergeek541 

I had figured about 40mbps was the case right in between you and @sheytoon 's estimation but I wasnt absolutely sure so I stuck with what i knew to be true. Thank you for confirming that fact.

@MajorTalent 

As you can see the learning never really ends around here......

@darlicious wrote:

@MajorTalent 

Firstly unless you have a grandfathered plan  there are no current plas offered that include full speed 4G LTE data. All offerings have 4G LTE throttled to 3mbps or you can manually choose 3G data with (YMMV) up to 20mbps average 9 -12mbps. 

The maximum speed on the HSPA+ network is considerably higher than 20Mbps (about 42Mbps) in places that DC-HSPA is still implemented. 

Dang it I lost my post?!!

@sheytoon .

Thank you once again and for the links you supplied @MajorTalent . I read the first article and the way calls switch between VoLTE and 3G made me think about @Thom 's problem with no calling capabilities with his galaxy S8 and having no access to the VoLTE option on his phone so it was acting like VoLTE was enabled. Perhaps this fix for the S9 below would work for @Thom ?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Unable-to-make-or-receive-calls-but-h...

From the samsung community....

It happens when the phone is restarted the handset de-registers from the IMS try this to fix it:

•Put phone in Aeroplane mode

•Restart phone while still in Aeroplane mode

(When phone is restarted it should still be in Aeroplane mode)

•Take Aeroplane mode off and wait a few moments and it should be fixed.

To see if you're registered on the IMS navigate to Settings > about phone > status > SIM card status

B5 for LTE was not deployed everywhere and the only low band option in rural locations is B12 or B13. In most urban and suburban areas, low band is not necessary. B4 + B12 would be the best bands for coverage on this network nationally.

@sheytoon , interesting that you recommend B4 and B12 as the must have bands on LTE.  The Xiaomi brand is notorious for offering a very basic list of supported LTE bands on all their phones.  The 700 MHz bands are not available.  However, their phones work fine in Canada.  I find that B5 is a capable alternative.  Thoughts?

@darlicious 

I would say it like this:

• 5G = NR
  • 4G = LTE
  • 3G = UMTS or CDMA Ev-DO Rev. A, which are incompatible with each other
  • 2G = GSM or CDMA2000, which are incompatible with each other

In the past, networks were either on the GSM path or the CDMA(2000) path. Most operators in North America used CDMA, and most of the rest of the world used GSM. When you switched providers, you always needed a new phone.

There were 3 paths created for 4G, and initially it was not clear which way the industry would go.

• GSM > UMTS > LTE
  • CDMA > Ev-DO Rev. A > Ev-DO Rev. C (UMB)
  • WiMAX (brand new technology)

Because of the high costs of patent licenses and royalties demanded by Qualcomm, CDMA became increasingly expensive, and operators decided to abandon it, in favour of other options. A few operators started with WiMAX, but most went with LTE. Eventually early WiMAX adopters regretted their decisions and everyone settled on LTE.

In order to support transitions from CDMA to LTE, especially for voice calls, an operator would have to either deploy a brand new parallel technology overlay (i.e. Bell and Telus UMTS), or convince network + phone manufacturers to support inter-technology compatibility (Verizon). Verizon still had all of their voice traffic on CDMA, and with a new LTE network that had limited coverage and no VoLTE, they successfully convinced their vendors to support their hybrid strategy. But the long term goal was always LTE.

@sheytoon 

Thanks I knew you would come thru for @MajorTalent  and correct me in case ive misunderstood what ive learned over the past year. 

@MajorTalent over the years I've compiled a bit of info on common questions. Please start there and let me know if you have follow-up questions:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/LTE-network-fundamentals/td-p/1305...

Unfortunately PM's published list of frequencies is incomplete and misleading. The actual frequencies used by Telus are here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/td-p/130581/page...

Frequencies that I would recommend for a phone on PM:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/m-p/134356#M5822...

PM currently offers 2 technologies:

• 3G UMTS/W-CDMA, mandatory for voice calls, can also be used for text and data
  • 4G LTE, for text and data only

If you're on a grandfathered LTE plan, your speeds are not restricted. Theoretically you can get more than 1 Gbps (1000 Mbps) on LTE, but there's no practical purpose for this. If you're on a "3G" plan, you can still use LTE, but the speed is limited to 3 Mbps, which is good enough for any task except downloading very large files (which would simply take longer). Grandfathered plan and "3G" plan can both access the actual 3G network with no restrictions. Technically the maximum achievable speed would be around 37 Mbps under ideal conditions, but this is difficult in practice and 3G has more drawbacks than LTE overall (slower upload, worse cell edge performance, less capacity), so I would keep the phone on auto selection mode where it will prefer LTE.

@MajorTalent 

Aw shucks you made my night! Absolutely add me as a friend although im not too hard to find....

MajorTalent

@darlicious

OH bf duh. I thought it was something technical inside that particular model lol.

This was great, thank you so much for your knowledge and patience here (your bf sounds like a lucky guy... Whether or not he knows it, I sure hope he shows it 😊). I really do appreciate it, and wish everyone was just as detailed and pleasant as you. I learned a lot and it really helped!!! I would like to add you as a friend so I'll be able to find you again, if that is ok with you. As a great community member and resource, you have my vote Mayor darlicious.

@MajorTalent 

The bf (boyfriend) has a talent for killing phones either by dropping, smashing (screens usually), losing, recovering and losing again.  He just started on #7 right on schedule of 14 months.....he averages 8 weeks per phone.

MajorTalent

@darlicious 

@darlicious wrote:

@MajorTalent 

Lol.....my device whe i first switched to pm and occasional back up device was an alcatel A392A flip phone. The bf killed the screen so its only a phone now.

Just googled it, didn't notice the words flip phone until after... we have come a long way haven't we?

MajorTalent

@darlicious 

@darlicious wrote:

@MajorTalent 

Lol.....my device whe i first switched to pm and occasional back up device was an alcatel A392A flip phone. The bf killed the screen so its only a phone now.

what is a bf and, maybe knowing that will explain itself but, how did it kill the screen?

@MajorTalent 

Lol.....my device when i first switched to pm and occasional back up device was an alcatel A392A flip phone. The bf killed the screen so its only a phone now.

@MajorTalent 

One is by the latest post or chronologically the other is by the post replied to.....the problem with that is users dont always reply to a particular post but just the last one in the thread so it gets all mixed up.....better to have it sorted by time stamp.

It always helps to tag the person you are replying to but this happens all the time so no one is offended. Maybe they have gone to bed or being polite not wanting to interupt an easy back and forth conversation......

MajorTalent

@darlicious 

@darlicious wrote:

@MajorTalent 

Ok here goes.....( since each model/ brand of phone lists things different)......

1. 4G = LTE
  2. GSM = 3G & 2G
  3. CDMA = 3G & 2G
  4. 5G
  5. ISM

The general rule is that a CDMA phone wont work on a GSM network, and vice versa—they run on different frequencies. However, most new iPhones like the 8 and 8 Plus and some Google Nexus phones CAN run on both technologies. Before you switch, make sure you check whether your phone is compatible first.

Sounds like you have lots of options so a true international phone....what is it?

(I'm trying this quote button). I think I remember ages ago being told that cdma was basically any device that was before SIM card technology. My current device is Alcatel A50 (50850) aka A5 LED aka TCL 50850

MajorTalent

@darlicious 

What's the difference between sorting it by older VS threaded?

And are the other users not responding to my replies because I didn't include their names with the @ symbol before you taught me how?

@MajorTalent 

Ok here goes.....( since each model/ brand of phone lists things different)......

1. 4G = LTE
  2. GSM = 3G & 2G
  3. CDMA = 3G & 2G
  4. 5G
  5. ISM

The general rule is that a CDMA phone wont work on a GSM network, and vice versa—they run on different frequencies. However, most new iPhones like the 8 and 8 Plus and some Google Nexus phones CAN run on both technologies. Before you switch, make sure you check whether your phone is compatible first.

Sounds like you have lots of options so a true international phone....what is it?

@MajorTalent 

This comes from two threads the easier to remember to put in the search bar is "wonky notifications" which will bring you to this post.....

Mayor / Maire
Re: Data amount used tab versus data usage tab breakdown doesn't match
@wbg13 wrote:

My replies did not post at the end either.  So I was also scrolling around to find the replies from others that mentioned me also.  Let's see if this one posts at the end since this was the last post here.

Ah ha! So I was _not_ hallucinating again. Thanks for that.

@kb_mv : can you check My settings/Preferences/Linear Layout - what do you have selected at the first setting?

I was on default. Then went to Oldest first and it listed the way it always has.

Maybe they were just fiddling with things briefly.

MajorTalent

@darlicious 

Ok I don't have network mode but I have (A) "Enhanced 4G LTE mode" switched to recommended "ON" position. I also have (B) Preferred network type on "LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)" checked, with "WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)" "WCDMA only" and "GSM only" also available

@MajorTalent 

Lol now this i just learned lets see if i remember correctly...go to your settings in your profile and change the default setting for notifications to most recent....i think. This I have to search for the thread dealing with it to be sure.....

@MajorTalent 

Lol....now youre testing my recently learned skills....go to settings....connections....mobile networks .....network mode....tap that then it gives you the option to choose. Usually you leave it on automatic so your phone chooses the best option available. Also important so your phone can switch seemlessly between calling, texting and using data.

MajorTalent

@darlicious 

HEY IT WORKED! THANKS! Sorry about the message/ conversation order, when I refresh the page to look for new replies it doesn't seem to be in order

@MajorTalent 

Tap the "@" key for the username to pop up or start typing the name after the ampersand.

MajorTalent

You are blowing my mind! Are you saying I can choose whenever I use the 4G LTE or 3G speed myself? from my own device? I never knew this was possible. Please, teach me how is this done?

MajorTalent

Thanks for your reply. I noticed that the Pixel 2 has 7 different 4G LTE Bands available on the phone compatibility page, but you only mentioned 3. Can you please let me know which old post you copied your response from and direct me to a more updated list if possible?

@MajorTalent 

Having a foreign device work in the canadian market largely depends on whether ghe phone was produced for that countries domestic market or if its an international version of the phone. North American devices are made with a single sim capability. If you want a dual sim phone you have to search out the international version. I have a dual sim samsung galaxy A3 made in the UAE the only drawback is the samsung pay wont work here. A foreign phone is made for the bandz working on their networks 2G, 3G, 4G and/or 5G. For example India mostly uses 2G and 3G only whereas only rogers still offers 2G compatibility in Canada which it is phasing out over the next year.

Need Help? Let's chat.