cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Connectivity issues after upgrade to android 8.1

@MJH, can you add another APN with just the modifications/additions you require?  I've done this on my device as I can't modify the primary APN file.

Mayor / Maire

@MJH wrote:

Still not able to input APN settings.  Thankfully I have another phone which has Android 8.0 so I am using that.  I guess I'll have to contact CRTC as suggested by another PM user.  I hope I don't have to switch carriers but will if this problem isn't fixed.

CRTC's a little drastic. This is a known issue with Android 8.1 on some devices.

Seems the preferred fix is to insert a SIM from another provider that would open up the APN settings and then put back the PM SIM.

There are other more convoluted technical solutions but the SIM seems easiest with least disturbance.

Oracle

@MJH wrote:

Still not able to input APN settings.  Thankfully I have another phone which has Android 8.0 so I am using that.  I guess I'll have to contact CRTC as suggested by another PM user.  I hope I don't have to switch carriers but will if this problem isn't fixed.

Try using the apk developed by a RFD member.  Disclaimer, I have not used it myself.  It has been reported as a working solution. 

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/solved-fido-apn-miui-10-cant-add-apn-2239645/#p30122708

HAL
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had the same problem 8 days ago after receiving an update. 

I took my Zenfone 4 Max Plus to the Asus service depot and they confirmed that there was a problem with the update and that the only solution was to go back to the previous version. They are working on the issue and will resend the update when reworked.

This process however resets the phone to factory settings, so backup your information.

In addition, after this reset you have to re-enter your APN on the phone.

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/asus-zenfone-4-max-plus-zc554kl

Hope this helps

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I can confirm that the linked APK worked to manually set up an APN on an Asus Zenfone 4 Max. Did this with SIM out, then inserted SIM and it was good to go; the manually added APN had been selected, and data worked.

Still puzzles me why Android authors/maintainers would remove that manual APN add function. 

Thanks to contributors to this thread for helping me find the solution.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

No it's not drastic being as I am someone who knows nothing of phones .Numerous phones are 8.1so people should be made aware not after the fact .I already changed providers .I am beside myself trying to get my mobile data .This should not be complicated .If the phone works re calling mms then why cannot I get my data.called umig  whatever they say it is compatible pm says says something else .I don't know what to do .

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If data is is in your plan this should not be an issue.

contact an admin.

:https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Moder...