cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Connectivity issues after upgrade to android 8.1

After upgrading my Asus Zenfone Max Plus to android 8.1, my SIM card is no longer being recognized on the Public Mobile network. When I check the status of the SIM card it keeps toggling off/on between "unknown carrier/add number" to "Telus/ and my number". Have tried to manually add APN with no luck. have tried factory reset with no luck.Any ideas? thanks.

Oracle

Re: Connectivity issues after upgrade to android 8.1

@cmobrien Can you try the sim card in any other unlocked phone to see if it's sim issue or issue with your phone?

I am not a mod. Do not send me private message with your personal info.

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

unfortunately my only other phone takes a different sized sim. The sim worked fine in the Asus phone right up until after the android upgrade tookplace (from 7.x - 8.1)

Oracle

@cmobrien, when you say the SIM is toggling on and off, you mean the phone is unable to maintain a stable connection to the network?  I have never failed a SIM card ever and some get really heavy usage moving from phone to phone.  The obvious thing to look at is the recent software update as a possible culprit.  The other is hardware failure although that would be serendipitous.  By the way, having the correct APN is important for data and MMS only.  Connection to the network is independent of the APN settings. 

I have now confirmed that the Public Mobile SIM works in another phone, and that I can get a SIM card from another phone (an Iphone on Telus) to work in my Asus. What I cannot do at this point is to get the Asus phone to work with my Public Mobile SIM card. Now thinking I have to find a way to roll back the Android upgrade.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Are you able to revert to the prvious os (7) and see if it resets?

Haven't quite figured out how to roll back the android version yet.

Even stranger, SIMs from Telus and Koodoo are both working fine on the phone. Pretty odd to me that a SIM from Public Mobile (which uses the same Telus Network as those), doesn't work. Even stranger is that the PM SIM does work in an Iphone 5 and 6. Whole situation is more than a little frustrating. 

MJH

I am having the exact same issue after an upgrade to my Zenfone Max Plus.  Is ther any solution

Mayor / Maire

@MJH wrote:

I am having the exact same issue after an upgrade to my Zenfone Max Plus.  Is ther any solution

This thread seems to have some answers. Near the end from will13am a link to RFD.

This is a known problem with some 8.1 phones. Not sure if it's via update or new out of the box or both.

MJH

Still not able to input APN settings.  Thankfully I have another phone which has Android 8.0 so I am using that.  I guess I'll have to contact CRTC as suggested by another PM user.  I hope I don't have to switch carriers but will if this problem isn't fixed.