cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connectivity issues after upgrade to android 8.1

cmobrien
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

After upgrading my Asus Zenfone Max Plus to android 8.1, my SIM card is no longer being recognized on the Public Mobile network. When I check the status of the SIM card it keeps toggling off/on between "unknown carrier/add number" to "Telus/ and my number". Have tried to manually add APN with no luck. have tried factory reset with no luck.Any ideas? thanks.

16 REPLIES 16

wilts
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If data is is in your plan this should not be an issue.

contact an admin.

:https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Moder...

jesusisgod

No it's not drastic being as I am someone who knows nothing of phones .Numerous phones are 8.1so people should be made aware not after the fact .I already changed providers .I am beside myself trying to get my mobile data .This should not be complicated .If the phone works re calling mms then why cannot I get my data.called umig  whatever they say it is compatible pm says says something else .I don't know what to do .

kazoo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I can confirm that the linked APK worked to manually set up an APN on an Asus Zenfone 4 Max. Did this with SIM out, then inserted SIM and it was good to go; the manually added APN had been selected, and data worked.

Still puzzles me why Android authors/maintainers would remove that manual APN add function. 

Thanks to contributors to this thread for helping me find the solution.

HAL

I had the same problem 8 days ago after receiving an update. 

I took my Zenfone 4 Max Plus to the Asus service depot and they confirmed that there was a problem with the update and that the only solution was to go back to the previous version. They are working on the issue and will resend the update when reworked.

This process however resets the phone to factory settings, so backup your information.

In addition, after this reset you have to re-enter your APN on the phone.

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/asus-zenfone-4-max-plus-zc554kl

Hope this helps

@MJH wrote:

Still not able to input APN settings.  Thankfully I have another phone which has Android 8.0 so I am using that.  I guess I'll have to contact CRTC as suggested by another PM user.  I hope I don't have to switch carriers but will if this problem isn't fixed.

Try using the apk developed by a RFD member.  Disclaimer, I have not used it myself.  It has been reported as a working solution. 

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/solved-fido-apn-miui-10-cant-add-apn-2239645/#p30122708

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MJH wrote:

Still not able to input APN settings.  Thankfully I have another phone which has Android 8.0 so I am using that.  I guess I'll have to contact CRTC as suggested by another PM user.  I hope I don't have to switch carriers but will if this problem isn't fixed.

CRTC's a little drastic. This is a known issue with Android 8.1 on some devices.

Seems the preferred fix is to insert a SIM from another provider that would open up the APN settings and then put back the PM SIM.

There are other more convoluted technical solutions but the SIM seems easiest with least disturbance.

@MJH, can you add another APN with just the modifications/additions you require?  I've done this on my device as I can't modify the primary APN file.

MJH

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MJH wrote:

I am having the exact same issue after an upgrade to my Zenfone Max Plus.  Is ther any solution

This thread seems to have some answers. Near the end from will13am a link to RFD.

This is a known problem with some 8.1 phones. Not sure if it's via update or new out of the box or both.

MJH

I am having the exact same issue after an upgrade to my Zenfone Max Plus.  Is ther any solution

cmobrien

Haven't quite figured out how to roll back the android version yet.

Even stranger, SIMs from Telus and Koodoo are both working fine on the phone. Pretty odd to me that a SIM from Public Mobile (which uses the same Telus Network as those), doesn't work. Even stranger is that the PM SIM does work in an Iphone 5 and 6. Whole situation is more than a little frustrating. 

wilts

Are you able to revert to the prvious os (7) and see if it resets?

cmobrien

I have now confirmed that the Public Mobile SIM works in another phone, and that I can get a SIM card from another phone (an Iphone on Telus) to work in my Asus. What I cannot do at this point is to get the Asus phone to work with my Public Mobile SIM card. Now thinking I have to find a way to roll back the Android upgrade.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@cmobrien, when you say the SIM is toggling on and off, you mean the phone is unable to maintain a stable connection to the network?  I have never failed a SIM card ever and some get really heavy usage moving from phone to phone.  The obvious thing to look at is the recent software update as a possible culprit.  The other is hardware failure although that would be serendipitous.  By the way, having the correct APN is important for data and MMS only.  Connection to the network is independent of the APN settings. 

cmobrien

unfortunately my only other phone takes a different sized sim. The sim worked fine in the Asus phone right up until after the android upgrade tookplace (from 7.x - 8.1)

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@cmobrien Can you try the sim card in any other unlocked phone to see if it's sim issue or issue with your phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.