cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to home network

Catcave
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am a new Public Mobile customer.

I have internet service at home. When at home, I'd like to connect to my home network (wi-fi) instead of using my data plan. Can I do this with Public? If so, do I need to edit the settings in my phone?

I was previously able to do this, seemingly automatically. Now it seems to be using my data plan.

Appreciate any help. 

5 REPLIES 5

alts63
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

if you want to be reminded to "turn of cell data" or the reverse when you enter or leave home you can use an IFTTT applet.

IFTTT is free and has lots of neat applets.  You will have to enable "location" for this to work

.IFTTT stands for If This Then That  https://ifttt.com/  I'm not associated with the site, just a fan

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Catcave 

Yes in your phone’s settings you can select Wi-Fi and connect to your home network. Your phone will remember and auto connect when you’re within range.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Catcave  What's is the make and model of your phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Catcave 

Using your own wifi network as opposed to using the cell data network is absolutely doable. Just about any phone should be able to do that.

You might want to turn off the wifi failover to cell data option so that when you might be in a weak or no wifi spot, it won't use cell data.

Choosing wifi or cell data should be a clear and obvious option.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Catcave Of course you can. PM does not stop you from using any WiFi. Your phone should remember and auto connect anytime you are at home. If it is not connecting automatically, there is something wrong with your phone, os or router. You can also turn off data manually when you are at home and make sure you connect to your WiFi. 

Need Help? Let's chat.