cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility

TVM23
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi just wondering if the Telus LG K20 is compatible ... it's not on the list. Thanks for your help!

30 REPLIES 30

@flycastin  the first portion of that person's post. "Has an LG K20 with public mobile service".

Screenshot_20201012_020347.jpg

Maybe you have a friend or family member that is with public mobile?.. You could always put their sim card in your phone and see if it works

Checking the person's account that you sent a message to. The last time they were on the forums was September 8th. So hopefully they didn't turn of email notifications so they see your message and reply to you.

Have a great evening!

flycastin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks - messaged the user. I see is the LG K20 has a security update coming up on October 14th so will  wait after the update to see if my phone is compatible with Public Mobile.

@flycastin  the compatibility page is updated manually by PM. With the enormous amount of phones out there lots have not been added.

Link below has a K20 confirmed working.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Android-9-updates/m-p/590173

Also if you sign up using a referral code your account is credited with a $10 signup bonus within 72 hours off activation. Technically that would cover the sim card cost.

flycastin

Rereading the forum topics, I see another consumer mention the SIM CARD doesn’t work on their phone - and after checking the compatibilty drop down list, their phone was not there. I have now lost all faith due to the two fighting consumers above.

Are there any confirmed LG K20 phone users that were successful with PM connection that can confirm compatibility? Please send me a message - I am not interested in watching a power struggle when an answer to a simple question is what I need

@computergeek541 all good 🙄

Have a good turkey weekend!

@Jb456 wrote:

@computergeek541  So then back in April when I changed a bunch of posts to stay safe after you and another Oracle starting moving threads out of an Oracle's humor thread then a 3rd Oracle chiming saying Oracle's can't completely delete (or as you just said not 100% erased but moved to a place members can't see) ((likely Oracle archives))  caused all that issue instead of admitting certain posts were deleted by yous.

I see.........🤔🤔🤔🤔

I'm not going to discuss what another Oracle said, but if you would like to talk about this further, feel free to send me a message privately as this isn't related to the phone compatibility question.

@computergeek541  So then back in April when I changed a bunch of posts to stay safe after you and another Oracle starting moving threads out of an Oracle's humor thread then a 3rd Oracle chiming saying Oracle's can't completely delete (or as you just said not 100% erased but moved to a place members can't see) ((likely Oracle archives))  caused all that issue instead of admitting certain posts were deleted by yous.

I see.........🤔🤔🤔🤔

@Jb456 wrote:

@computergeek541 . So I have to ask this.

In the past you and other Oracle's have stated you do not have the ability to delete a post. 

I clearly just witnessed you erase your post completely from the thread🤔🤔🤔

I made a mistake in the way I read the other member's post. I erased the message's contents and moved the message. It's not actually 100% erased. It's in a place that can't be seen by most members.

@flycastin wrote:

1) No concrete proof my LG K20 phone is compatible

As @Jb456 was mentioning, if your phone is currently working at Telus Mobility on the 3g network, then it's compatible with Public Mobile. That goes for any model of cell phone.

As for the LG K20 that you already have, if you are connected to a 3g network at either Rogers or Bell, it will also most definitely work at Public Mobile.

@computergeek541 . So I have to ask this.

In the past you and other Oracle's have stated you do not have the ability to delete a post. 

I clearly just witnessed you erase your post completely from the thread🤔🤔🤔

@flycastin what provider is your k20 currently on? If it's Telus it will work. Telus owns Public Mobile.

flycastin

Excellent - that’s what I was looking for 🙂

1) No concrete proof my LG K20 phone is compatible

2) No refunds if SIM card is purchased if phone is not compatible

Thank you you for your expertise and guidance tonight - saved me some money 🤭

@flycastin wrote:

Thank you for your input on the LG K20 compatibility question.

If I decide to purchase a SIM card based on a Public Mobile employee confirming my phone model is compatible - and it turns out my LG K20 phone is not compatible - are refunds available?

If it's the Canadian version of this phone, it is absolutely compatible, and it not connecting could mean that it's a defective device, or that that the Public Mobile account wasn't set up properly. If you purchase the Telus Mobility prepaid version of this phone and it doesn't work, you would either have to get the retailer to exhcange the device for or the manufactuer to honor the warranty in the case of a device defect. if it's an issue with your Public Mobile account, customer service here will get your service up an running, but there are absolutely no refunds at Public Mobile. 

@flycastin wrote:

If I decide to purchase a SIM card based on a Public Mobile employee confirming my phone model is compatible - and it turns out my LG K20 phone is not compatible - are refunds available?

Public Mobile is a prepaid service and there are no refunds.  As well there isn't one person that has responded here that is a Public Mobile employee.  We are customers just like you.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@flycastin wrote:

I doubt you would get a refund. What you can do is purchase a sim card from Canadian Cell Supplies when it is on sale and then purchase the lowest cost plan from PM which is $15. You can also use the following store locator to call around to see if they are giving away free sim cards with an activation. I know that one of our local London Drugs does do that.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/store-locator

Also, use a referral code at activation for a $10 credit that will go towards your next renewal and set up autopay with your visa/debit card for a $2 credit for all future renewals.

flycastin

@Jb456 wrote:

@computergeek541  well then I don't know.

GSM arena only lists one LG K20 2019 model.

Screenshot_20201011_233513.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.gsmarena.com/lg_k20_(2019)-ampp-9828.php

But yes agree with you if it's on Telus it works on here.

GSM Arena and other specification and compatibility websites are generally good but not perfect. None are, nor could they ever be 100% complete, or accurate.

The giveaway that there are more than one version of this phone are in the GSM Arena specs. Telus isn't likely to sell a dual sim card phone, so we know right there, that whatever specs lsited there don't apply to the version that has Telus branding on the package.

@computergeek541  well then I don't know.

GSM arena only lists one LG K20 2019 model.

Screenshot_20201011_233513.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.gsmarena.com/lg_k20_(2019)-ampp-9828.php

But yes agree with you if it's on Telus it works on here.

@Jb456 wrote:

@computergeek541  here's a link for London Drugs.

TELUS LG K20 Prepaid Phone - Black - NPPLLGK20BK

https://www.londondrugs.com/telus-lg-k20-prepaid-phone---black---nppllgk20bk/L0747688.html

Screenshot_20201011_232231.jpg

Then on Bestbuy they have a Telus K20 model  with more bands.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/telus-lg-k20-16gb-black-prepaid/14192663?cmp=knc-s-717000000552...

Screenshot_20201011_232626.jpg

So looks like at some point Telus sold two different models of the K20 🤔

Well, both sites are actually wrong, because when it comes to the Best Buy Canada website, there's no way that Telus would be selling a phone without Band 5 for 3g (The 2005 is a typo).  As for there being two different versions for Canada, that just wouldn't happen as LG Canada would only be sourcing one specific variant, the variant that has the best bands for use in Canada.

@computergeek541  here's a link for London Drugs.

TELUS LG K20 Prepaid Phone - Black - NPPLLGK20BK

https://www.londondrugs.com/telus-lg-k20-prepaid-phone---black---nppllgk20bk/L0747688.html

Screenshot_20201011_232231.jpg

Then on Bestbuy they have a Telus K20 model  with more bands.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/telus-lg-k20-16gb-black-prepaid/14192663?cmp=knc-s-717000000552...

Screenshot_20201011_232626.jpg

So looks like at some point Telus sold two different models of the K20 🤔

@Jb456 wrote:

@flycastin it works but it is missing band 5.

Screenshot_20201011_230450.jpg

The question was if the phone that the OP had worked on Public Mobile. It most definitely did as this is a Telus Mobility phone with a SIM card slot.  I also believe that the above specs aren't correct for the Telus version.  That site's list of LTE bands used by Public Mobile is also incomplete.

Either way, band 5 LTE is far from the most important anyway. Band 2 and band 4 LTE are more common.  Being a Telus version of this model means that compatibility is as good as it's going to get. @flycastin  is gong to want to try to get the same version that @TVM23  has to ensure that.

@flycastin it works but it is missing band 5.

Screenshot_20201011_230450.jpg

@flycastin wrote:

Did the original poster have a successful connection to Public with the LG K20? I am planning on switching myself and just wanted feedback from a LG K20 user - thanks!

Yes, as it was the Telus version, it would have to have worked as Public Mobile is owned by Telus and uses the same network.

flycastin

Did the original poster have a successful connection to Public with the LG K20? I am planning on switching myself and just wanted feedback from a LG K20 user - thanks!

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@TVM23 according to this site, https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/lg-k20-plus its 100% compatible has both the required 3g and 4g LTE bands.

Please note LG phones require at minimum a network reset and sometimes a factory reset is required for it to work properly on PM. Ty the network reset first. Welcome to PM. 

Here's 4 articles on activation and porting and the Refer a friend reward  if you need them:

1. What you require to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/what-you-need-to-activate
2.How to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up
3.How to port https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number
4. Refer a friend https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/the-refer-a-friend-reward

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks. Noted.

I could have done a whole look-up and found specs but thought it easier to say that if it had been working at Telus recently (-ish?) then that would rule out CDMA.

I kind of cheated as I already knew that this is a model that they still sell at stores for around the $100-$130 mark.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@TVM23 wrote:

Hi just wondering if the Telus LG K20 is compatible ... it's not on the list. Thanks for your help!

If it was recently working on Telus then it will work here.

I doesn't have to have been used at Telus. It's a Telus-sold phone with a sim card slot. 

Thanks. Noted.

I could have done a whole look-up and found specs but thought it easier to say that if it had been working at Telus recently (-ish?) then that would rule out CDMA.

@Anonymous wrote:

@TVM23 wrote:

I doesn't have to have been used at Telus. It's a Telus-sold phone with a sim card slot. 

@TVM23 wrote:

Yes, it's compatible.. Public Mobile is owned by Telus. A phone doesn't need to be on the compatibility list to work. That is only meant as a guide.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TVM23 wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.