cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility issue

PierreGrange
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi !

It seems to me that the IMEI tool is not working right now (there is just nothing where it should be), and I'd like to be sure that my phone will be compatible with the network before booking a SIM card.
My phone is a WIKO Cink Slim, bought in France in late 2013: will it be OK ?

Thank you for your help !

Cheers

Pierre

15 REPLIES 15

Martin
Legend
Legend

Feedback, please, on my post dealing with frequencies and bands, on page 1 of the mobile version.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Martin wrote:

PierreGrange,

In order for your phone to operate on the PM/Koodo/Telus network, it must be UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA capable, not GSM capable. Do not confuse WCDMA with CDMA. Also, depending upon the website, you may see UMTS, WCDMA and/or HSPA. They are often used interchangeably.

For 3G, you need the 850 MHz and 1900 MHz frequencies. For 4G LTE, you require the 1700 MHz (UMTS Band 4) and 2100 MHz (UMTS Band 1) frequencies, and, optionally but ideally, the 700 MHz frequency.

Often, if a phone functions on the 1700 MHz frequency, 2100 MHz will not be listed on the packaging, but is nevertheless one of the frequencies on which the phone will operate.  

The phone must be locked to any carrier of the above network, or must be unlocked. If unlocking is necessary, you can find, usually for a few dollars, an unlock code on eBay.

Good luck!

Most of what @Martin said is correct except this part(For 4G LTE, you require the 1700 MHz (UMTS Band 4) and 2100 MHz (UMTS Band 1) frequencies, and, optionally but ideally, the 700 MHz frequency.)

For 4G LTE Data usage you Require AWS 1700Mhz Band 4  Device (Not to confuse it with AWS Band IV 1700 Mhz UMTS) and if you can get one that also includes the 700 MHz the better. Remember LTE is only used for Data in Canada 

Martin
Legend
Legend
See my March 20 post, on Page 1.

I'm looking for constructive, not destructive, feedback on this.

benwarez
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Stay optimistic, Telus is always advertising future is friendly....

Martin
Legend
Legend

Deleted by Martin.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
@OP, Lot of things aren't working on PM site

Martin
Legend
Legend
PierreGrange,

If your phone worked in France, it will not work in Canada, on any network, regardless of carrier.

DK
It looks like it will work for 3G for sure as according to this link...http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

benwarez

Don't say that Bro. DK, goodness is inside all of us, remember that (SA) that succeeded using his goodness to get his country its freedom.

DK
Yes just got that myself. My bad. It looks like you should be good.

benwarez

WIKO Cink Slim is not listed, Telus is listed

DK
Hi go to www.willmyphonework.net and punch in phone and chose Telus as network. Not sure if European phones are listed but give it a shot.

benwarez

These are this WIKO Cink Slim specifications 

GSM 850 MHz
GSM 900 MHz
GSM 1800 MHz
GSM 1900 MHz

W-CDMA 900 MHz
W-CDMA 2100 MHz

My guess is that it should work - PM spec. are 850/1900

compatibility tool is working http://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started

Need Help? Let's chat.