cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility help/flip phones

CrazedGinger
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I'm looking at replacing my old smartphone for a flip phone but I dont see the kind I'm looking for on the compatibility list. It's called the Nokia 2720 Flip, it's kind of new, released in September I think. All the descriptions I've read say it supports LTE and GSM carriers. If not can anyone recommend a similar flip phone? I would use it for talk/text and navigation mostly.

9 REPLIES 9

Ann_H

perfect thanks

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Ann_H wrote:

thank you, I am looking to get a flip phone for my grampa who finds smart phones too smart for him! He just wants to press buttons and talk.

@Ann_H    Try the link in @popping's post (solution above).  Alcatel Go-Flip might be something to consider for your grandfather.

Ann_H

thank you, I am looking to get a flip phone for my grampa who finds smart phones too smart for him! He just wants to press buttons and talk.

ichor
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

flip phone lover her!

These are excellent for those seeking digital minimalism and a battery life that lasts for weeks/months.  

The pain of using the number pad is a good way to discourage texting - for those of us who are trying to break the habit. 

The flip phone also really good for older family members who aren't quite up to date with the latest inventions like using an ATM or Computer.  

I ended up digging out my old phone and getting an unlock code from the carrier.  You could probably find some used ones pretty cheap and they seem easy enough to do a factory reset.  

Flip-phones tend to be better for talk because the form factor allows more robust (and properly oriented) radio hardware, bigger better speaker and mic hardwares, simpler but dedicated (faster more powerful) codec processing. They tend to have wonderful battery life because they aren't packed full of gigahertz and gigabytes running busy bloaty background bunk.

But texting on T9 is a real chore, lol. Maybe fine for terse messages ("yes", "no", "later", etc). If the people you text with are expecting real sentences made of real words then they'll probably think your abbreviated snippets are rude, lol, hardly anybody seems to actually use voice calling anymore unless they have no choice.

@CrazedGinger 

The phone has the following specs:

https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_2720_flip-9836.php

3G bandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100
4G bandsLTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800) - EU
 LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 28(700), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500) - MENA, APAC, GCR

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

It is missing the 1900 MHz band for 3G.  It might work with Public mobile, but also may have issues depending on where you are at....

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@CrazedGinger wrote:

Hi, I'm looking at replacing my old smartphone for a flip phone but I dont see the kind I'm looking for on the compatibility list. It's called the Nokia 2720 Flip, it's kind of new, released in September I think. All the descriptions I've read say it supports LTE and GSM carriers. If not can anyone recommend a similar flip phone? I would use it for talk/text and navigation mostly.

It looks a little light on some frequencies needed here but...seriously??? you wanna go back to pressing 7 four times to get an s??

Back in the day some people were magicians typing incredibly fast that way but how ridiculous nowadays.

Talk ..fine. Browsing...tiny...but typing??

It was painful when I was configuring APN manually on Alcatel Go Flip so that I can send picture MMS to use as wall paper.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CrazedGinger wrote:

It looks a little light on some frequencies needed here but...seriously??? you wanna go back to pressing 7 four times to get an s??

Back in the day some people were magicians typing incredibly fast that way but how ridiculous nowadays.

Talk ..fine. Browsing...tiny...but typing??

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CrazedGinger wrote:

You need a phone which support 3G and LTE because PM uses 3G for voice call.

PM does not support GSM(2G).  Therefore, phone works with Rogers network may not work with PM.

My mother was using a GSM flip phone with Speakout running on Rogers network. I need to get a new flip phone for her when I switched her to PM.  I purchased an Alcatel Go Flip for her.

https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/alcatel-go-flip-prepaid

Need Help? Let's chat.