cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatability of Nokia 6.1

naluukti
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is the Nokia 6.1 compatable with Public Mobile? It doesn't seem to be on the drop-down menu when you're checking.

And for the future, how does one identify whether a phone is compatible or not?

Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16

@Guspublic1  for the Nokia 6.1, it is not fully compatible.  Depends on the regional variant, some submodels might work slightly better, but again, it might give you trouble on the LTE network. 

If you have not buy it yet, I would avoid.  

But if you got it already, then test it yourself. 

@Guspublic1   at this point, look like only phones from the last 2 years, and iPhone from last 4 years are compatible.  I think PM might expand the list as the 3G shudown deadline is closer (end of 2025).  If your calls are working fine on 3G, you can still use data on LTE and there is really no rush for VoLTE.

You can check my post here, I am trying to gather a list of compatible phones (and incompatible) from community members 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/VoLTE-Phone-Compatibility-Community-membe...

as to frequency compatiblity, please note this is different from VoLTE compatibility.   You can try to search from gsmarena.com

To be compatible with PM network, these are the bands used on PM

E-Band-Frequency.jpg

Any phone should ideally have 3G B2, B5 and LTE B4 (or B66 instead of B4), B12 (or B17 instead of B12) for minimum coverage.

Guspublic1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I purchased Nokia 6.1 but P.M. says NOT compatible to Volte. It says on LTE/3g/2g on my phone is active.

@YYZmanJensen  I am happy to hear that, welcome to PM hopefully you have a smooth ride!

YYZmanJensen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks!

@YYZmanJensen  thats great welcome

YYZmanJensen

Thanks for the help. I bought a SIM this morning and the phone works!

YYZmanJensen

Well, I was silly enough to buy it on e-bay, new, but who knows where it actually came from? I just checked a tech website that listed it as being compatible (with Freedom). I should have known better - if we can't make VCR tapes and DVD's to work everywhere, why on earth would a cell phone? 😄

@YYZmanJensen  if you bought this phone in north america you should be good to go use the  link from above to check good luck

YYZmanJensen

Hi. Just bought a Nokia 6.1 Plus (TA-1103 64GB Dual SIM) International version. I checked the links with no results. If I provide the IMEI # could you let me know for sure? I just wasted ten bucks on my Freedom SIM, then found out it is not compatible with their network.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@naluukti wrote:

Is the Nokia 6.1 compatable with Public Mobile? It doesn't seem to be on the drop-down menu when you're checking.

Thanks!

@naluukti  Other customers have reported not being able to connect to the PM network after Nokia pushed their latest update to that phone. Nokia is aware of the issue and will provide a fix in their next update.

@naluukti wrote:

Thanks!

Look specifically for UMTS/3g/HSPA/WCDMA bands 2 and 5 (1900 and 850MHz).

Note that 850 and 1900MHz on 2g will not help.

I can tell you for sure that the North American variant of the Nokia  6.1 is compatible.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

According to this site, the Nokia 6.1 should be fine with Public Mobile.  Unfortunately, PM's compatibility check uses willmyphonework.net, which is missing many phone models.

PM's compatibility requirements are listed here:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Getting-Started/ta-p/162

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Check your phone specs on-line to confirm if they fall within PM frequency ranges.

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS)

Looks like your Nokia 6.1 should work here as long as it's unlocked.

Good luck.

RossN
Mayor / Maire
Need Help? Let's chat.