cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheaper Samsung Galaxy phones

helenhelen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am in need of a new phone (currently using a borrowed one) and am wondering what people think of the cheaper Samsung Galaxy models? They seem pretty inexpensive but I wonder if you get what you pay for...?

45 REPLIES 45

@darlicious wrote:

@CannonFodder  You bought your phone used so what percentage of battery charging capacity do you have left?

And I would know this how? I have two relatively new batteries for it(long story, won't bother with it here).

I charge my galaxy A3 once every 2 days but could probably make it 3 days with a 2350mah battery. Maybe you should go in and adjust the battery settings in your apps to reduce unnecessary battery usage.

ATM, there ARE no apps currently active, other than the default stuff that the phone came with, since I have it in Safe Mode. That, and I have VERY few apps on it anyway, because of the issues.

Change your battery setting if it's set on high as well.

I don't THINK there actually are battery settings on Android 4.4.2 ...... at least I don't recall seeing any.

@darlicious wrote:

@CannonFodder   On average the bf was charging his phone every three days. So I would say that's very good battery life for someone who spends a lot of time on his phone.

Definitely! And if he was getting 3 days, I'd probably get 4, or 5.

Further testing has been halted due to the fact that a 14 year old existing in a grown man's body he has lost...like lost lost the new phone.

OMG..... AGAIN!!!?? 🙄  But I guess "lost lost" is NOT like last time..... IIRC, left at a friend's place.

With the SIM number replaced he now gets the $40 RCA phone back up phone on a permanent basis and I get to file an insurance claim and keep the the claims pay out because the bf is on his own now when it comes to phones.....

Ah well, some people just CANNOT take care of, and/or keep an eye on, their own stuff.....

@CannonFodder  You bought your phone used so what percentage of battery charging capacity do you have left? I charge my galaxy A3 once every 2 days but could probably make it 3 days with a 2350mah battery. Maybe you should go in and adjust the battery settings in your apps to reduce unnecessary battery usage.  Change your battery setting if it's set on high as well.

@CannonFodder   On average the bf was charging his phone every three days. So I would say that's very good battery life for someone who spends a lot of time on his phone. Further testing has been halted due to the fact that a 14 year old existing in a grown man's body he has lost...like lost lost the new phone. With the SIM number replaced he now gets the $40 RCA phone back up phone on a permanent basis and I get to file an insurance claim and keep the the claims pay out because the bf is on his own now when it comes to phones.....

@gblackma wrote:

@CannonFodder  my mom has the A3S model. The downfall is the battery. It doesn't have much standby time. Has to be charged every 2 days. With the Umididgi line get a minimum (A5 pro) 4150mAh battery.. With the 5150 mAh battery on my F1, I'm getting around 4 days.  With the 6150mAh battery, the time must be almost 6 days.

Well, the amount of time between charges is a relative thing, since my current phone(a Samsung Galaxy S3, 2100mAh, bought used, on Craigslist) requires charging daily. I don't know how often @darlicious 's BF's A5 Pro needs charging, BUT at 4150mAh of battery capacity, it's barely more than the A3S, at 3950mAh. Almost anything is an improvement on my current phone, given that SOMETHING is sucking the juice out of what is a relatively new battery, such that I have to leave it in "Safe Mode" all the time. 👎 

So, other than the, in your opinion, subpar standby time, how's that A3S for performance, and how's Mom like it? I've watched a couple of reviews, and read some stuff, and it SOUNDS positive.....

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I'm going to add my support to the A50.  My partner's 21-yr old son got one a few months ago (early Christmas gift to replace his aging S7) and he's been very happy with it.  And he's on it, pretty much constantly.  Either gaming, watching YouTube, snapchatting or FB messaging with friends, it get a lot of usage.  If you specifically want a Samsung and don't need all the bells and whistles (it lacks wireless charging, for example), then these can be a very good value (again, for a Samsung).  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@helenhelen, buyer beware. My sister bought a cheaper Samsung Galaxy J3 (2018) and it lasted her only 6 months. When she bought it, I told her the price point may be nice, but you get what you pay for sometimes. In this case, she got a lemon of a phone.

It seems a few people here have the Umidigi phone. I never ever heard of it, but it seems to work for others on this platform. Buy a phone that you think is worthwhile. Think about what you want to do with the phone:

• Is speed the most important. How much RAM? RAM can let more apps run in the background without slowing your phone down.
  • Camera? Video? Is taking photos and videos important to you. 
  • Dual SiM or a Single Sim card in the phone. 
  • Dual Sim? Yes, you can add more space to the internal card as well to your phone
  • How much storage do you need on your phone? For games, apps, photos, videos, etc
  • Is the phone unlocked or locked
  • Buyer beware. Is the phone legit, or a stolen one. Buy from a reliable source. I buy from Amazon. Craigslist, Kijiji or eBay, is questionable.
  • How long are you planning to keep it?
  • How good is the battery? 

I myself bought myself an Asus Zenfone3 5.5" Unlocked Smartphone, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage, with micro SD card support up to 128GB. I bought my phone in 2017. I got my dad the Asus ZenFone 4. And my mom, the Asus Zenfone 6. 

Whatever you use, do make sure the phone is compatible with the Public Mobile network. 

@CannonFodder  my mom has the A3S model. The downfall is the battery. It doesn't have much standby time. Has to be charged every 2 days. With the Umididgi line get a minimum (A5 pro) 4150mAh battery.. With the 5150 mAh battery on my F1, I'm getting around 4 days.  With the 6150mAh battery, the time must be almost 6 days.

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@helenhelen  As mentioned already, some folks seem quite fond of the Umidigi phones, both here & elsewhere. If you do a search on these forums, you'll likely find some info about the A5 Pro, or if you wait long enough, I'm sure @darlicious  will chime in with her opinion of this phone. At this point, I think the only real question about Umidigi phones, is their unknown longevity. Personally, I'm seriously considering their A3S model, but am still kind of "on the fence".....

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@helenhelen 

In my opinion you get less than what you pay for. Seriously, family members have some of those and I'm pretty disappointed how slow and laggy they are. 

Take look at umidigi, both f2 and a5 pro seem to make most people who use them really happy

I've heard good things about doogee too

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@helenhelen  My recommendation would be to look at Android One phones from Nokia and Motorola. They run stock Android without bloatware and will get the regular security updates for a minimum of 2years. Check Amazon.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I know a few friends who have the A50.  They like it.  I would not call it inexpensive but it is a lot cheaper than the S line which I think is a total rip off.  I am sporting a Umidigi F2, which is about how much the taxes are for a fully loaded S10+.  It is a great phone, probably best value phone I have ever purchases.  But then again, I only buy value phones.  

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

Check out Costco if you have a membership. Some of them will rotate various budget brands of android phones. You then have 90 days to try the phone out or return for a refund.

The PM SIM card came with the adapters so keep those in case the SIM card slot is different depending on the phone you are buying.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@helenhelen The capacity of the phone and how fast the apps run in the system. If you don't have any preferences, should be fine.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@helenhelen it may be better if you post a 3 models here and then we can comment on them Also look at the Umidigi line, Currently I have the F1 dual sim phone. You get a lot of bang for your buck here.

Need Help? Let's chat.