cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap watch phone

po
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Got my son a PM sim, but at the age of 11, apparently he doesnt want to carry a phone around... Fair enough... Anyone know if any of these watches will work from Amazon.com, or .ca?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_36_1?rnid=386442011&keywords=3g&rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A1004...

43 REPLIES 43

emilyge0rgia
They do have some for way cheaper from the Amazon sellers on eBay that DO ship to Canada though, not sure why they don't ship to Canada on Amazon lol exact same acct names

emilyge0rgia
@po I would go with a cheapie acer like me, android 5 so it can access whatsapp. And they have one that's acer z320 4.5 inches for 99, the one I got is z530 5 inches for 170 because it has better cameras

Both are 8gb storage but have up to 32gb expandable

It looks like even android wear watches have to be Bluetooth connected to an actual phone to do most of the functions

I also have a link for this tiny android phone
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013788R24/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1462453594&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords...

I'm not sure if they will ship to Canada though, when I searched on Amazon.ca the price was around 300 but this link has them at 50 bucks

@po Cool. Please let us know what you end up going with.

po

Thanks and Bravos to all for opinions and help.

I am quietly thinking about next steps and will keep you updated. Great forum and users!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@po unfortunately, SMALL phones are getting harder and harder to find, and they typically aren't cheap.  The Sony Xperia Z3 Compact or Z5 Compact come to mind--both are 4.6" and pretty compact.  However, they are hard to find in Canada (you'd probably have to order one up from american Amazon or another site--but be careful to oder the correct model and not the European/Asian one.  For Z3 Compact, you want D5803 and NOT the D5833, for example.  I'm not sure about the Z5 compact but I'd assume it's the E5803 you'd want.  But again, this isn't a "cheap" phone.

Another option would be an iPhone 5C/5S, which is a 4.5" phone but again usually relatively expensive.

Oh, another good option could be the OnePlus X--it's 5.0" and $329 Canadian (plus shipping and any import fees the border dings you with).  https://oneplus.net/ca_en/x

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@po I don't know of anything significantly smaller than a regular smartphone that would still allow you to use WhatsApp.

po

Voice to text works v well on my pebble time to nexus 6p. Very good for short messages. But I accept the points - Will prob be looking for a small cheap phone that can access Whatsapp. Any suggestions?

@po, I agree. Those watch things are not cheap, and for the one's that are the cheapest, they may not offer much in function or quality to degree

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@po unfortuantely, I don't think you're going to find many "cheap" watches that can do what you're looking for.  There are SOME Android watches that have a built in LTE modem (so don't require a companion smartphone), like the LG Urbane LTE, but they are rather pricey.  http://www.amazon.com/Urbane-LTE-1-3-Smart-Snapdragon/dp/B0162VS7WI/ref=sr_1_2?s=wearable-tech&ie=UT...  Also, there isn't really a good way to enter texts other than voice on Android Wear watches that I'm aware of.  That's one of the reasons I returned the Fossil Q Founder watch I was trying for about a week.  The text entry was limited if even possible.  (Some apps have pre-defined "canned" responses you can select from, but I wasn't able to really get anything where I could type a response.)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@po How would your son text or use data on a smartwatch? For that matter, how would he do it on any device significantly smaller than a regular smartphone?

po

I agree about talking to a watch. He (my 11 year old son) would be texting and using data. If anyone knows of a suitable watchphone please tell me, or even better, an alternative small enough to wear somehow rather than carry.

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@7789849803 wrote:

@po Those are all 2G-only, so they won't work on the Telus 3G network.

Also, the watches on that page are all very cheap and likely will not be reliable at all. And talking without a handsfree on a watch like that has to be a real challenge. Would you have to hold up the watch to your mouth the whole time?!

I agree. The quality of those watches may not be very good

Mayor / Maire

@po Those are all 2G-only, so they won't work on the Telus 3G network.

Also, the watches on that page are all very cheap and likely will not be reliable at all. And talking without a handsfree on a watch like that has to be a real challenge. Would you have to hold up the watch to your mouth the whole time?!

Need Help? Let's chat.