cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging your phone Li-Ion battery

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

It is a known fact that charging your phone battery to 100% and overnight will shorten your Li-Ion battery life.

I am using an Android app called AccuBattery to let me know when my battery is charged to 80% full.  My LG G5 is 2 years old and my battery capacity is still at 88% of the rated capacity according to AccuBattery app.

AccuBattery does not and cannot cut off power from the charger when the charge is reaching 80%.  There is a $30(may be US$) hardware called Chargie to cut off AC power to the phone charger.

I am planning to use a wifi AC power socket and combination of Android apps like IFTTT + xyz apps to detect 80% charge level and turn off the wifi AC power socket. 

Anyone has done such setup to control a wifi AC power socket?

10 REPLIES 10

on2wheels
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I notice that after a full charge my phone drops rather quickly to 90% now, then seems to start slowing down to a more consistent discharge rate, all the way to 0%.  I've only drained it to 0 less than 10x in the 18 months I've had it, but I'm careful about my usage and always try to limit drain on it.  However on gsmarena it says it has a Li-Po battery, do they behave the same as Li-Ion?

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@popping When it gets colder soon we'll need to get used to battery peforming differently. That's probably why people have so much trouble with car batteries in the winter.

lukevader
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This chargie thing............... I just looked it up, its 29.99  -  chargie   -   and the colors are all on backorder except the green ones. I just bought 2 cause I would love to be able to just plug in my phone again and go to bed.

If you have an older phone thats rooted perhaps you can also just do this;

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/set-charging-limit-your-android-device-avoid-excess-battery-w... 

EDIT: Correction, they just dropped the price of these things to 9.99. There was 500 last night now theres only 91 left. 

My Essential PH-One is 2 years old and Accubattery is saying it is still 86% and I charge to 100% over night I will also charge and use during the day while plugged in if I am using it heavily that day.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

lukevader
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@popping wrote:

Agree.  I don't run my battery down to empty.  My LG G5 shuts down my phone when it hits below 15% charge.  I charge my phone usually between 25% to 80%.

I totally agree with this. I have a new note 10+ and fully charged it only twice. I only let it go down to about 15% as well. I will watch this thread with great interest. 

popping

@Daps wrote:

Nice. Your battery might outlast your phone.

I use my phone a lot so I had to replace the battery for my 2 year old lg phone.

It works like new again.

The battery cost $10 but I got it for less cause ebay was offering $5 off purchases.

I love the eBay $3 to $5 coupon at the end of each month.  Sometime, I get 8% - 10% in eBay bucks offer.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I use accubattery as well.  I used to think the app was accurate, not anymore.  They rate the battery capacity based on the performance during the charge cycle which is optimistic.  They should do the capacity rating based on discharge.  I am finding that on discharge, my battery capacity is more than 5% less than compared to charge numbers.  I cut off my charging at 85% for the longest time and I found that over time, the calibration was going off.  I did about 10 cycles to 100% and restore the calibration somewhat.  

For those running rooted devices, battery charge limit is the ideal app for battery management.  It stops the charging using hardware controls.  Set a number and it will cut off power to the battery at that level.  

Daps
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Nice. Your battery might outlast your phone.

I use my phone a lot so I had to replace the battery for my 2 year old lg phone.

It works like new again.

The battery cost $10 but I got it for less cause ebay was offering $5 off purchases.

popping

@computergeek541 wrote:

I could be wrong, but it's my undrerstanding that letting your battery empty is even worse than having your battery at 100% charge.

Agree.  I don't run my battery down to empty.  My LG G5 shuts down my phone when it hits below 15% charge.  I charge my phone usually between 25% to 80%.

I could be wrong, but it's my undrerstanding that letting your battery empty is even worse than having your battery at 100% charge.

Need Help? Let's chat.