cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing phones

barryj
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm replacing my broken phone with the exact same model that a friend gave me.(Samsung A5)  I had the new one unlocked by his provider, but when I insert the sim card into the new phone the message I get is something like "SIM card blocked, enter PUK code". 

Unfortunately, the suggestions on this forum haven't worked for me.

His provider says I need to get the puk  code for the sim from Public Mobile.

How can i get that number?

11 REPLIES 11

@barryj wrote:

Thanks everyone for your efforts. Frustrating indeed! 

Also, I had no idea the "sim card's pin would be defaulted to 1234".

If I get 10 shots, as someone mentioned, before the sim card goes up in smoke, I've got another 8 or so shots!🤣

I may try again before I go back to bug my buddy to spend another hour on the phone.

PIN is 1234 but can't be used when PUK is needed. The PIN got locked out. 

barryj

Thanks for this. I'll try the moderator 

barryj

Thanks everyone for your efforts. Frustrating indeed! 

Also, I had no idea the "sim card's pin would be defaulted to 1234".

If I get 10 shots, as someone mentioned, before the sim card goes up in smoke, I've got another 8 or so shots!🤣

I may try again before I go back to bug my buddy to spend another hour on the phone.

barryj

Geez, talk about a runaround! The previous provider, simply connect, gave me an unlock pin, which was asked for and I entered upon switching the sim card from my old samsung a5 to my new one. No one has been "messing around with the sim card". After entering the unlock pin, the message, "sim card blocked, enter a puk number to unblock" or similar wording appeared. Thus my post to the PM Community asking how to get a puk code, as there seems to be no way to contact PM directly.

I took the advice of someone from the Community and called Samsung, who say it has nothing to do with the phone, it's the sim card, and I need to call the previous provider to have the phone unlocked. Which I have done. Around and around we go!

@barryj wrote:

The device is already unlocked. It's the sim card that is locked.

I think that part of the confusion has to do with which type of code is being asked for. 

You stated that the code is something like SIM card blocked, enter PUK code". Is that the exact message?  There's another similar type message that says something along the lines of "Enter SIM Network Unlock PUK".  

Here's the thing with your SIM card's PIN and PUK. Those security feature don't enable themselves. That's why I'm thinking that your phone is still locked to the other carrier.  In addition, you wouldn't be asked for the SIM card's PUK unless entering the PIN incorrectly multiple times, and it doesn't sound like you did that. Besides, I'm sure you would have known that your SIM card's PIN would be defaulted to 1234.

@barryj  Public Mobile default sim pin is 1234. If it's been entered wrong to many times (I think 10) then it asks for a PUK code of the sim.

Only moderators have that information. Contact them.

Simon.JPG

Or private message at link below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

On another note for others reading. If not sure what pin is being asked  do not try random numbers ask on forums and someone can help. There's all different kinds of pins the phone asks. Like sim network unlock pin, sim pin, etc etc

barryj

Thanks. I'll try calling samsung. 

barryj

The device is already unlocked. It's the sim card that is locked.

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@barryj 

I can understand your frustration with this. The PUK code stands for PIN Unblocking Key. If you do not have your PUK code, contact the old cell provider, give them your phone number and account number and once they are sure it is really you, they will give you the PUK code, which you need to enter into your phone; you will then be asked to set a new PIN code. Note that if you enter a wrong PUK 10 times in a row, the SIM will be permanently blocked, and you’ll need to purchase a new SIM card.

@barryj wrote:

I'm replacing my broken phone with the exact same model that a friend gave me.(Samsung A5)  I had the new one unlocked by his provider, but when I insert the sim card into the new phone the message I get is something like "SIM card blocked, enter PUK code". 

Unfortunately, the suggestions on this forum haven't worked for me.

His provider says I need to get the puk  code for the sim from Public Mobile.

How can i get that number?

If the phone is asking for the  SIM Network Unlock PUK, that means that the phone is locked to another carrier. It also means that someone was messing around with the phone previously and guessed at the unlock codes and blocked out the ability to unlock the device. Public Mobile cannot help with this.

If that's the case, your friend needs to get his carrier to provide both the SIM Network Unlock PIN and the SIM Network Unlock PUK.  The second code resets the ability to unlock the device. The first code is the unlock code so that you can use the device at Public Mobile.  Samsung Canada can also provide these two sets of codes.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@barryj call Samsung to unlock your device for you

Need Help? Let's chat.