cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing phone on active PM account

Bigpointguy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am a PM customer. Currently  have a  Galaxy S6 activated on the account. Want to try switching to a Google Pixel 2 with Android 10 installed. Do I have to do anything besides take the sim card out of the Samsung and install it in the Google phone? If so what is the procedure?

Thanks for your assistance,

Pat

12 REPLIES 12

@CannonFodder wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

Make sure your Google Pixel 2 is unlocked. If it is still locked to the original provider, contact them to get your unlock code at no charge.

A note about that:  A Google Pixel device shouldn't be unlocked to begin with. That was one of that line of devices selling points.

Was that a typo? Based on the conversation, it SEEMS like it.....

Yes, I typed the opposite of what I was trying to say. I meant that it shouldn't be locked or should be unlocked.

@computergeek541 wrote:

Make sure your Google Pixel 2 is unlocked. If it is still locked to the original provider, contact them to get your unlock code at no charge.

A note about that:  A Google Pixel device shouldn't be unlocked to begin with. That was one of that line of devices selling points.

Was that a typo? Based on the conversation, it SEEMS like it.....

@LovesToPM wrote:

@Bigpointguy wrote:

I am a PM customer. Currently  have a  Galaxy S6 activated on the account. Want to try switching to a Google Pixel 2 with Android 10 installed. Do I have to do anything besides take the sim card out of the Samsung and install it in the Google phone? If so what is the procedure?

Pat

1. Power off both devices.

2. Remove the SIM card from your Galaxy S6

3. As both phones use the same size SIM, insert SIM into Google Pixel 2

4. Turn on phone and enjoy

A note about that:  A Google Pixel device shouldn't be locked to begin with. That was one of that line of devices selling points.

@Bigpointguy wrote:

There is no need to inform Public Mobile of any such changed, and you will not need to change anything in your self serve account. Public Mobile know that you're using a new device as soon as you connect to the network.

marimacas
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I had switched SIM between Android phones without issue. It was no setting required for my mobile connection besides adjusting SIM sizes.

@Bigpointguy wrote:

Pat

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@Bigpointguy wrote:

Pat

1. Power off both devices.

2. Remove the SIM card from your Galaxy S6

3. As both phones use the same size SIM, insert SIM into Google Pixel 2

4. Turn on phone and enjoy

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

@Bigpointguy , on the carrier side, you just need to move the SIM over from the old phone.  Nothing more difficult than that.  As for transferring the apps and data over, that is a bit of work.  Some like to bring along years and years of SMS and call logs.  You can use SMS backup and restore app to copy over the SMS and call logs.  Other app data will be a bit more tricky if they don't have cloud backup.  

titanium backup is great for backing up apps.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Bigpointguy , on the carrier side, you just need to move the SIM over from the old phone.  Nothing more difficult than that.  As for transferring the apps and data over, that is a bit of work.  Some like to bring along years and years of SMS and call logs.  You can use SMS backup and restore app to copy over the SMS and call logs.  Other app data will be a bit more tricky if they don't have cloud backup.  

NQP-Click
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I switched phones (moto to pixel 3a) this summer, I just swapped out the sim card, connected the two phones with the necessary USB cable, and the Android operating system copied my data to the new phone. The new phone worked immediately.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Bigpointguy  The Pixel 2 uses a nano sim. Just remove the sim from the s6 and insert it into the pixel 2. No need to setup the APN because it will automatically be set.

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi Pat,  as long as the SIM is the same size or smaller and can be cut out and the phone is unlocked. You can just switch the SIM over. You might consider factory resetting the Google pixel 2 if it was on another network.

@Bigpointguy wrote:

Pat

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You just switch the sim card.  If you use data then you would need to configure the APN settings.

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220