cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing over to a different phone

NBtalker
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I currently have been with Public mobile for a year or two now, and I have a new used phone I would like to change over to. I'm wondering how I go about doing this. Can I take the same sim card out of my other phone and just start using it? Can I keep the same number?

Thanks.

17 REPLIES 17

niaz_tanzeem
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

No, it's not for my pre-paid charge. I already paid in full up to February 9, 2018 and I canceled the service February 6, 2018. This money is a balance which I paid more before. 

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@niaz_tanzeemwrote:

Why my money is gone??? It's my money...Would you please clear me why I will not get back my money? I am confused. 

I don't know the specifics of your situation but if you've given money to PM then it's not your money any longer, it's PM's.

Generally, PM is a pre-paid service - as such, you pay them in advance to provide you service for x amount of time. Just because you've decided to no longer use their service doesn't change fact that PM is still doing what you paid them to do - provide service for x amount of time.

Think of it as a pizza - you pay in advance for nice, gooey yummy pizza. You have one slice, see a cheaper/tastier/etc. pizza being sold elsewhere and want that one instead - you aren't going to go back and try and get a pro-rated refund for your first now-missing-a-slice pizza.

Like I said I don't know the specifics of your situation so if it's different and you still feel otherwise you need to send the mods a private message by clicking here and providing your email address, phone number and a description of the situation.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@niaz_tanzeem you should reach out to the moderator team to ask if they can refund your unused Available Funds balance from your now deactivated account.  Here's all the info you need:

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:00pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

Additional Useful Information:

• Search PM-GUIDE (remove "-" during the search) to find some informative posts and answers to many common questions about Public Mobile

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

niaz_tanzeem

Why my money is gone??? It's my money...Would you please clear me why I will not get back my money? I am confused. 

ronster
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This thread was originally about changing phone.  It's funny that the subject was changed to getting money back after the first page.  I thought there was something wrong with my eyes lol.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@niaz_tanzeem, Unless there are very special circumstances related to a system error, or something like that, you cannot get your account balance refunded when you leave Public Mobile.  If you feel there are special circumstances in your case, you would need to ask the moderators team to look into your situation.   You can contact them via private message.

Click here to send them a private message.
You can find information regarding the moderators team by following this link.

Acekiller
unfortunately you can't. your money is gone now

niaz_tanzeem

Hi, I had canceled the service with public mobile. I had $30 balance in my account. How can I get that money back from public mobile. I can't communicate with the public mobile over phone as I don't have public mobile now.

Please help me. 

wrote:

You will need to send a private message to the @CS_Agent, giving them your phone number and 4 digit PIN, Account email address.
or make call to public mobile by phone at 1-877-999-5055 , different phone to you can talk with team services to help you
Detailed explanation of specific your issue .
them can help you a lot nice team service

good luck

thanks for trying to help out

But, there's absolutely no need for any customer to contact a moderator to switch phones.  There is absolutely nothing that changes on a customer's account when it comes to payment or plans, or any of that.  A customer simply puts the sim card into a new compatible phone and start using it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You will need to send a private message to the @CS_Agent, giving them your phone number and 4 digit PIN, Account email address.
or make call to public mobile by phone at 1-877-999-5055 , different phone to you can talk with team services to help you
Detailed explanation of specific your issue .
them can help you a lot nice team service

good luck

When you switch phones, nothing changes for the customer at the account level.  You will need to make sure that the new phone is compatible, and make sure that you have the correctly sized sim card for that phone model.  Additionally, you may have to manually configure settings such as SMSC, APN, and voicemail retrieval numbers.

matbasm

One more thing to consider is the SIM card.  Depending on the phones, they might use different SIM card sizes.  The new PM SIM cards come with adapters, but I don't think the older ones did.  Might be forced to get a new SIM card, or cut down the old one.

koimr1

wrote:

Hello,

I currently have been with Public mobile for a year or two now, and I have a new used phone I would like to change over to. I'm wondering how I go about doing this. Can I take the same sim card out of my other phone and just start using it? Can I keep the same number?

Thanks.

You got good advice from @SASH and @will13am, just want to add that yes you will keep the same number, same plan, etc. All good! 🙂

wrote:

Just make sure it works on the same frequencies / bandwidth of PM. As long as that is the case, it should work with PM after unlocking.

Good point!  OP said that the new phone has already been acquired.  I kind of overlooked this.  It is important to mention that we have to be mindful of band compatibility.  There could be a shocking surprise when the new phone won't connect to the network.

SASH

Just make sure it works on the same frequencies / bandwidth of PM. As long as that is the case, it should work with PM after unlocking.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Switching phones is as easy as taking out the SIM card from the old phone and putting it into the new phone.  The APN settings may need to be checked and corrected if the Public Mobile APN configuration isn't found in the database on the phone.  That is about it.  BTW, depending on the phone and the carrier source, paying for an unlock code may not be necessary as carriers are required to unlock phones after December 1, 2017.

NBtalker

Would like to confirm this before I go ahead and pay to unlock my new phone.

Thanks alot 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.