cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing out sim card overseas requires a code that is not working from the new carrier.

MarikaB1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have had two sim cards sent to me for my public mobile phone and both attempts to unlock failed with message " Network unlock unsuccessful" with cosde provided by the new carrier, the likelihood of the second bad sim is nil I think so it has to be something about having my phone on the public mobile system prior. I cannot use PM carrier in Europe so I must use a different carrier.
Marika.

13 REPLIES 13

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

So @MarikaB1 can contact the moderators here at PM and try again to get the phone unlocked. Send a private message to Moderator_Team from the envelope at the upper right corner. Obviously the first attempt to have it unlocked to switch to PM didn’t work but wasn’t noticed as you didn’t really need to have it unlocked to switch to PM.

AE_Collector

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@MarikaB1 

The new carrier cannot give you any code that is of use to you. As this device is locked to Telus, Public Mobile's moderators would also be able to provide you with the unlock code.

@computergeek541 so are you saying if you have a Telus iPhone on PM that PM will do an unlock for you? 

I do recommend to any one with a locked phone to have it unlocked. 

Yes.  Official policy has always been that Public Mobile will assist in unlocking devices locked to Telus (and brands owned by Telus).

@computergeek541 wrote:

@MarikaB1 

The new carrier cannot give you any code that is of use to you. As this device is locked to Telus, Public Mobile's moderators would also be able to provide you with the unlock code.

@computergeek541 so are you saying if you have a Telus iPhone on PM that PM will do an unlock for you? 

I do recommend to any one with a locked phone to have it unlocked. 

@MarikaB1 wrote:

I have had two sim cards sent to me for my public mobile phone and both attempts to unlock failed with message " Network unlock unsuccessful" with cosde provided by the new carrier, the likelihood of the second bad sim is nil I think so it has to be something about having my phone on the public mobile system prior. I cannot use PM carrier in Europe so I must use a different carrier.

The new carrier (edit to add: in Europe) cannot give you any code that is of use to you. As this device is locked to Telus, Public Mobile's moderators would also be able to provide you with the unlock code.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@MarikaB1 wrote:

Marika.

Your PM service will only work in Canada or US (with roaming add-on). Service just isn't available in Europe or anywhere else.

@Dunkman wrote:

@MarikaB1 

Telus locked phones can be used with Public mobile without unlocking since they are part of the same company (also includes Koodo).  It looks like your phone is locked to Telus.  You can contact Telus to see whether Telus will unlock the phone for  you.  

I unlocked a Telus phone last week. It is on a Telus prepaid pan. They don't do it by chat any more....you have to accept a call back and then talk to some one that you can barely understand in Manila. I forgot......I should have asked to have call transferred back to Canada....they cannot refuse that request. 

@MarikaB1  Look like it might still be locked to Telus.  You can try to contact Telus first for an unlock code  as mentioned by @Dunkman 

or you can also try contacting Samsung @ 1-800-726-7864 

@MarikaB1 

Telus locked phones can be used with Public mobile without unlocking since they are part of the same company (also includes Koodo).  It looks like your phone is locked to Telus.  You can contact Telus to see whether Telus will unlock the phone for  you.  

MarikaB1

Also it is a Samsung S8 phone. Model SM-G900W8

MarikaB1

Originally was a Telus phone , then I had it switched to PM and I do recall phoning Telus to have it unlocked prior to using PM sim card. And it was fine on PM.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@MarikaB1 

Sorry I don't completely understand the situation.  Public mobile does not support international roaming (ie. can't use in other countries, except for USA).  Are you trying to put an overseas SIM card in your Canada PM phone?  

Where did you purchase your original phone?  It might be locked to previous carrier (ie. Telus or Koodo)?  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@MarikaB1   Where did you get the phone originally?  you bought it from PM??

also, what brand and model is this phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.