cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing iphones

SK77
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have updated my kid's phone from iphone5 to iphone7.  Backed up her old phone, uploaded to "new" phone through itunes.  SIM card is now in iphone7, but when she goes on to her imessages her friends see her email address not her phone number as her contact so there is a "new" thread being written there rather than just continuing on with her old messages.  Why is this?  Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

@SK77 wrote:

Thank you!  This worked.  Amazing.  So simple yet we had no idea.  Thanks again.

There are only a few thousand similar quirks... enough to keep you me fighting with this stuff for the rest of my life!

AE_Collector

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@SK77  That sounds as though Apple servers have not updated after changing the SIM over. Try turning iMessage & Facetime OFF, then ON after a few minutes. 

Confirm the new phone settings are correct: Settings >> Messages: iMessage ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send & Receive: should show Aplle id email and her phone number.

I may be wrong but believe old messages are not transferred to a new phone unless Messages is ON under Settings >> iCloud: list of apps storing data in iCloud. Otherwise they are only stored in the phone itslef.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

SK77
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you!  This worked.  Amazing.  So simple yet we had no idea.  Thanks again.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@SK77 wrote:

I have updated my kid's phone from iphone5 to iphone7.  Backed up her old phone, uploaded to "new" phone through itunes.  SIM card is now in iphone7, but when she goes on to her imessages her friends see her email address not her phone number as her contact so there is a "new" thread being written there rather than just continuing on with her old messages.  Why is this?  Thanks.

@SK77 

Try 

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Scroll down and select the Messages subsection.
  3. Tap Send & Receive.
  4. Scroll down to "Start New Conversations From", and select your phone number instead of your email address.
Need Help? Let's chat.