cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change call display number (Outbound calls)

KenAdams
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Everyone,

Hope this message finds everyone in our community safe and sound.

First time posting a question, so looking forward to hearing my communities advice. 

So here we go....

I have a Motorola G7 I use with Public Mobile. I have chosen to use this phone while I work remotely from home. Under the system settings I have chosen to block my PM number to UNKNOWN CALLER. Here's the twist. And this may help others in my situation. 

I use a free VOIP app that I call forward to my PM phone. I give the "VOIP" number to customers to call me back so they don't have my real number. This has been a great option for me. Best part, it's free! 

So this is where you as a community can help. With my Motorola G7 (PM) number being blocked, I would like to somehow figure out how to change my out going number so my "VOIP" number shows up. I hope that made sense. I'm sure there may be an app for this or a trick or something.

I look forward to hearing from anyone with thoughts and ideas.

If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask.

Thank you. Stay safe and stay warm.

Ken

10 REPLIES 10

Signal SMS

It's not just SMS (and MMS). It's also a dialer and it can be used for voice-over-data without publishing a phone number. The person on the other side doesn't need to install anything for basic communications (assuming their phone already has built-in dialer and messaging software), although both sides need to run the Signal app if you want to secure the communications - the secure communication modes are not normal Talk or Text, they're encrypted Data, so no phone number is visible to the other party unless you choose to reveal it.

Beware that consumer releases of Signal will "helpfully" configure themselves to share your name, number, picture, etc with mutual contacts. You can change these behaviours (globally or on a per-category or per-contact basis) by digging through settings.

If you don't like the limited settings built into your device then just install better software, as usual.

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/28/signal-tutorial-second-phone-number/

@KenAdams wrote:

I'm not sure if we're allowed to name the VOIP program in forums so ya...  but I can make calls on it via my phone/Wi-Fi but sometimes it can be a few second delay and find over lapping conversations. I tend to break up a lot too even know I'm right beside the router for Wi-Fi.

Depending on your particular "free voip program" you may be able to run it via your PC to reduce the latency. For example Freephoneline.ca has a Windows App, and TextNow allows you to login via the web page using your PC and make calls there, no software to install. I recommend a good USB headset for calls on the PC. (My current fave is the Plantronics C3220)

KenAdams
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello @Nezgar ,

Thank you for all that info. I am going to read it a few times to make sure I got everything right.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to name the VOIP program in forums so ya...  but I can make calls on it via my phone/wifi but sometimes it can be a few second delay and find over lapping conversations. I tend to break up a lot too even know I'm right beside the router for wifi. Hence the reason I just call forward the # to my PM phone as the conversation goes much faster. The reason I like the "burner" number is so if customers start calling me at 1am again I can just delete the app, re-install it and get a new number. 🙂

You're welcome,  @Nezgar 

Hopefully @KenAdams could follow along better than i... 🤪

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@KenAdams wrote:

I would like to somehow figure out how to change my out going number so my "VOIP" number shows up. I hope that made sense. I'm sure there may be an app for this or a trick or something.

Doesn't your existing VoIP app allow outgoing calls? If so, wouldn't the calls made using that app present the VoIP line's caller ID ?

Otherwise, VoIP providers such as voip.ms allow customizing the outgoing caller ID to whatever you want. (for both name and number) Providers like this are completely DIY as far as setting up an ATA, Physical IP phone, or softphone to use the service for calls over the Internet, but without any of that you can also just simply purchase a DID for incoming calls, set it up for DISA "Direct Inward System Access" - which means after entering a PIN, you can dialout to any number like your own personal calling card service, and have it present your desired caller ID on those outgoing calls. You can also restrict the DISA access to only present when calling from your own number, and possibly have any other calls forward to your cell.

The costs are miniscule, pay as you go - ie USD 85c/month for a DID, 0.5c/min for outgoing calls to Canada, 1c/min to the US, 0.9c.min for incoming calls. A DISA call would be two "legs" - an incoming and an outgoing.

If you use it heavily, you can add a VoIP app to your computer (ie MicroSIP) or your phone (ie GS Wave) to save on the leg between the ITSP ("IP Telephony service provider") and your phone over WiFi or mobile data.

You could also port the phone number from your existing free VOIP app to voip.ms (porting is free) to gain the extra functionality, or just forward your existing number to a new DID that noone needs to know about.

There's a laundry list of additional cool things you can do with voip.ms once you check it out too if interested... IVR menus, voicemail to email with text transcription, caller ID prefixing to help identify called line, time conditions, simultaneous ring or hunt groups, etc....

Happy to talk about/show it if you'd like, feel free to PM me.

ps: Thanks for the ping @HALIMACS  🙂

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@KenAdams 

I'm going to tag the resident whiz on these types of matters.

You out there, @Nezgar  ?

@TheGx wrote:

@KenAdams :Search app store for phone number spoofer or change call display etc.

Apps can do many things, but for a different number to be displayed, the outgoing call would be going through that wesite or app. The call wouldn't actually be placed through the regular Public Mobile voice network.

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@KenAdams :Search app store for phone number spoofer or change call display etc.

@KenAdams wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Hope this message finds everyone in our community safe and sound.

First time posting a question, so looking forward to hearing my communities advice. 

So here we go....

I have a Motorola G7 I use with Public Mobile. I have chosen to use this phone while I work remotely from home. Under the system settings I have chosen to block my PM number to UNKNOWN CALLER. Here's the twist. And this may help others in my situation. 

I use a free VOIP app that I call forward to my PM phone. I give the "VOIP" number to customers to call me back so they don't have my real number. This has been a great option for me. Best part, it's free! 

So this is where you as a community can help. With my Motorola G7 (PM) number being blocked, I would like to somehow figure out how to change my out going number so my "VOIP" number shows up. I hope that made sense. I'm sure there may be an app for this or a trick or something.

I look forward to hearing from anyone with thoughts and ideas.

If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask.

Thank you. Stay safe and stay warm.

Ken

Sorry, but there is no option to change the call display number that Public Mobile transmits.

Need Help? Let's chat.