cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cellular Network connection not available

linjennifer
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello!

I just activated my sim card and got the 40$ plan (4.5gb 3g speed). My phone is a Xiami Redmi pro 4 (China). The phone is supposedly compatible according to their website. I have try to configurate the APN settings still with no luck. I am wondering if there is something i am missing or not doing properly? Or is the phone simply doesn't work with PM? 

I would really appreciate your help, 

Thank you 🙂

8 REPLIES 8

linjennifer

Thank you everyone for your help! It turns out there was a problem with my activation. My phone number was used by 2 customers? I will accept as solution the first person who said the phone was compatible 🙂

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@sheytoon wrote:

@austinhuang,

Public Mobile uses many more bands than that for LTE. See here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/m-p/134356#M5822...

Her phone should support 3G just fine and 4G Band 7 only, assuming the specs provided are accurate.

@linjennifer, if it's a dual SIM phone, can you try putting the SIM in another slot. Sometimes it makes a difference.

It's more a Hz thing. I'm just choosing the closest bands.

4G doesn't work on my old Huawei Honor 5 (Chinese ver, not 5X) even though it supports like 1 band. 3G doesn't work either.

@austinhuang,

Public Mobile uses many more bands than that for LTE. See here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/m-p/134356#M5822...

Her phone should support 3G just fine and 4G Band 7 only, assuming the specs provided are accurate.

@linjennifer, if it's a dual SIM phone, can you try putting the SIM in another slot. Sometimes it makes a difference.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@austinhuang wrote:

I think Redmi 4 Pro Chinese version means Redmi 4 High-Spec. According to the official page in Chinese...

GSM B2/B3/B5/B8
WCDMA B1/B2/B5/B8
TD-SCDMA B34/B39
CDMA2000/1X BC0
FDD-LTE B1/B3/ B7
TD-LTE B38/B39/B40/B41(2555-2655MHz)

PM uses Band 4 (1700/2100) and 13 (700) for LTE and Band 2 (1900) and 5 (850) for UMTS. So unfortunately, you'll need to buy a new phone.

@austinhuang NO--if your spec list for the phone is correct, this phone is fine for calls, texts, and HSPA+ speed data since it supports B2 and B5 WCDMA (aka 3G UMTS with HSPA/HSPA+ data). 

@linjennifer I believe this phone should be compatible.  Could it be locked to a provider back in China?  I don't know if mobile providers in China typically carrier-lock a phone or not.  You could also try a network reset (try searching in the settings) or factory reset to see if it resolves the issue.  Do note that a factory reset will wipe your phone so make sure you first back up anything you want to keep and isn't already backed up or synced to a cloud-based service.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Corrected

I think Redmi 4 Pro Chinese version means Redmi 4 High-Spec. According to the official page in Chinese...

GSM B2/B3/B5/B8
WCDMA B1/B2/B5/B8
TD-SCDMA B34/B39
CDMA2000/1X BC0
FDD-LTE B1/B3/ B7
TD-LTE B38/B39/B40/B41(2555-2655MHz)

PM uses Band 4 (1700/2100) and 13 (700) for LTE and Band 2 (1900) and 5 (850) for UMTS. So it will support 3G but it will NOT support 4G.

Refer to this question on Zhihu (Also Chinese) on Mi 6.

linjennifer

Sorry, I don't know much about phone. Where will i be able to get this information?

srlawren

@linjennifer APN only affects data.  Are you able to make calls and send texts? 

I am having trouble finding specs for that specific model but some Asian-market (and European market) phones don't work with Public Mobile (nor Koodo, Telus, Bell, Virgin, Lucky Mobile).  Can you confirm that the phone includes both 850MHz and 1900MHz 3G network?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

popping

@linjennifer wrote:

Hello!

I just activated my sim card and got the 40$ plan (4.5gb 3g speed). My phone is a Xiami Redmi pro 4 (China). The phone is supposedly compatible according to their website. I have try to configurate the APN settings still with no luck. I am wondering if there is something i am missing or not doing properly? Or is the phone simply doesn't work with PM? 

I would really appreciate your help, 

Thank you 🙂

Check your APN against this site

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en

Need Help? Let's chat.