cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrier Service Displays as Telus

Barryere
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello,

Today I got a new phone and when I got it it had Lolipop on it and when I put my sim card in the phone it recognized it as Public Mobile but I got tired of Lolipop so I modded it with LineageOS and got Oreo now, but the system recognizes the sim as being "Telus" and when I choose to manually pick; Telus, Rogers Wireless and BMC are the choices.

Does it matter that I'm stuck on Telus? Since Telus owns PM I doubt this really affects anything.

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14

Info for anyone wondering how network sharing works:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Network-sharing-explained/m-p/129092#M420...

Bell and Telus do not allow roaming on each other's networks, because it's unnecessary since they have identical coverage.

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@bridonca wrote:
It would be interesting to see if Bell Mobile Canada would work. I would say yes, considering Bell and Telus use the same towers. I have has phones that would only display the mainline carrier instead of the flanker also. Was never a big deal.

Why would a Telus Network Sim from Koodo, PM would work under Bell? Yes it tower level they are one network but there network codes and core network is completely different.  There is no way a Telus Network Sim work on Bell 

surreyboz

@Barryere wrote:

Hello,

Today I got a new phone and when I got it it had Lolipop on it and when I put my sim card in the phone it recognized it as Public Mobile but I got tired of Lolipop so I modded it with LineageOS and got Oreo now, but the system recognizes the sim as being "Telus" and when I choose to manually pick; Telus, Rogers Wireless and BMC are the choices.

Does it matter that I'm stuck on Telus? Since Telus owns PM I doubt this really affects anything.

Thanks.

There are two National Networks in Canada. One is Rogers & the other is Bellus. That's it. Bellus Network shows as two different networks, Even though Bellus Network is one at Cell Towers there network names & networks codes are different. 

surreyboz

@Barryere wrote:

@bridonca wrote:
It would be interesting to see if Bell Mobile Canada would work. I would say yes, considering Bell and Telus use the same towers. I have has phones that would only display the mainline carrier instead of the flanker also. Was never a big deal.

You may be charged with roaming given the reply from the person before me.

So they will send you a Bill? Why would you even assume you could be billed for something you didn't purchase to work with a Pay Before Service Provider? 

@Barryere wrote:

@bridonca wrote:

@Barryere, No, this is incorrect.

The phone being used only sees the 3 'networks' listed by the OP.  He's connecting to Telus, as that is the owning company of the Public Mobile brand.  If he were to try the BMC 'network' the Public Mobile SIM card will not connect, as it will not be recognized identified as BMC.

There will be no roaming charge applied, as Public Mobile has no such 'domestic' roaming packages, and it would have to be purchased ahead of time, even it was available.

Barryere

@bridonca wrote:

@bridonca wrote:

It doesn't work.  They are the same towers but are actually run as 2 separate networks  with 2 different  network identification numbers.  You can conncect, but you won't be able to do anything but call 911.

As for the comment about flanker brands, remember that flanker brands do not have networks.  If a phone says either Public Mobile or Telus, that can be determined by the phone's software, but both would actually be exactly the same thing.

bridonca

Barryere

Smiley LOL I definitely do not want Bell.

@stonechucker wrote:

BMC is most likely Bell Mobility Canada.

BMC is most likely Bell Mobility Canada.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

Your not the only person who's experienced that. As long as it continues to work as it's supposed to it should be fine. It just seems to register the connection rather than the specific provider. If it doesn't work you should contact a moderator here for help.

@Barryere wrote:

Hello,

Thanks.

You're fine.

There are no separate Telus and Public Mobile networks.

The reason for it saying Telus has to do with the software on the phone and it deciding not to show the name as recommended by the sim card. 

Barryere

Fair enough.

Do you by chance know what BMC is?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BarryereIt should make no difference.  If it works, it works!  There is no way for you to be charged anything extra...

Need Help? Let's chat.