cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot text without a data plan (iPhone)?

DubGeek13
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I can only send and receive texts while on my home WiFi.  I do not have a data plan, so I know iMessages won’t work, but regular SMS should, shouldn’t they?  From everything I’ve read here and on Apple’s forums, you don’t need a data plan to send/receive regular text messages.

15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lolazita wrote:

Thanks!!

I gather you found your answer. Nice job searching!

Lolazita

Thanks!!

bmorris

Thanks for the response.  Yes, the phone is on imessage.  I think you're right about all texts being routed through it.  If we run out of data again, I'll simply turn imessage off.

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bmorris, No, you do not need data to send a text.  However, iMessage does require data.  Regular SMS does not use data.  If you are on an iPhone, and it is re-routing all SMS messages through iMessage, then that might explain things. 

Perhaps someone with an iPhone can confirm & and explain further.

bmorris

As soon as I ran out of data, I was unable to text....either imessage or SMS.  As soon as my bill recycled and data was added, my text worked again.  I didn't think you needed available data to text.

@DubGeek13 wrote:

A Mod added data to my plan as an easy fix, but i wanted to understand why texting without a data plan wouldn’t work, as it should (had Canada wide talk and text enabled, no data, before a Mod switched it).

We intend to keep this old phone as a home phone, so data isn’t required and WiFi can be enabled.  I simple wanted to figure out what the issue with my phone was.

One would think that the application should disable itself or otherwise switch to standard SMS service when you don't have an internet connection, but that would depend on how the software is programmed.  My guess would be that iMessage was not really disabled (either by accident or because of a software bug) and that all messages were still routing through it.  When you had no internet connection, you just weren't receiving your messages because of that. 

With standard text messaging services, there is zero reason for text messaging to need a data connection.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@DubGeek13 You do need to have texting as part of your base plan (and SMS truned ON as suggested). Best check your account if you are still having problems.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@DubGeek13 as everyone has already suggested, you don't need data for simple SMS texting.

Have you tried what @xCameron94x suggested?

If not please give it a try:

Most iPhone users have iMessage enabled, but may have turned off SMS support.

1. Open the Settings app and go to “Message”
  2. Locate the switch for “Send as SMS” and turn this to the ON position (if send as SMS is already on, try turning it off for about 10 seconds and then turn it back on again)
  3. Return to Messages and try sending the text message again

DubGeek13

A Mod added data to my plan as an easy fix, but i wanted to understand why texting without a data plan wouldn’t work, as it should (had Canada wide talk and text enabled, no data, before a Mod switched it).

We intend to keep this old phone as a home phone, so data isn’t required and WiFi can be enabled.  I simple wanted to figure out what the issue with my phone was.

mhaider
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is most likely due to  imessage being on, turn that off and try sending again.

Launch the Settings app, tap on Messages and slide the iMessage switch to the Off position.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@DubGeek13, why do you want to turn off data?  This service is prepaid.  So, if you don't have data in your plan, you will never be charged for it.  So, keep it enabled to facilitate mms. 

DubGeek13

Yes, iMessage is turned off.

did you make sure that iMessage is turned off?

DubGeek13

Yeah, that’s what I thought, but a Mod told me otherwise.  With both WiFi and data turned off, I can’t send/received SMS.  I’ll keep searching for a solution.  Argh!

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

You dont need a data plan to send/receive regular messages, but you do if you want to receive iMessages. Just make sure you have send/receive SMS turned on, and that other people using iPhones do too, or else you wont get the messages 

Need Help? Let's chat.