cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot save contacts to SIM card

cmelo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I have a bit older phone, Nokia 500, working well with Virgin, Fido and now Public Mobile. No issues with the service at all. The problem I have is the following: - When I try to copy or just create the contact to be saved on SIM card, I am gettin the error: "SIM card error" - When I prompt the information about the SIM card, it shows me 250 available spots on it...   

Deos anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

15 REPLIES 15

Even on an Android / Apple device with no removable SD card

Save (export) contacts locally

Then email or airdrop or whatever the file between the phones (I used Bluetooth back in the Blackberry days before they had a cloud option)

Still think cloud is better choice but lots of ways to transfer contacts

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

There are apps dedicated to that. I just downloaded one and it completed succesfully. I have less than 100 contacts tho. The use would be if you move to another phone even temporarily, your contacts can come with you without a sim card as in iphones!

cmelo

Thank you all, for your prompt sugestions. As soon as I confirm, will let you know the results.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@cmelo wrote:

Hi, I have a bit older phone, Nokia 500, working well with Virgin, Fido and now Public Mobile. No issues with the service at all. The problem I have is the following: - When I try to copy or just create the contact to be saved on SIM card, I am gettin the error: "SIM card error" - When I prompt the information about the SIM card, it shows me 250 available spots on it...   

Deos anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

@cmeloThat phone supports a  SD Card just buy one ($3-5 ) and move your contacts to the SD card from your sim that way if you decide to go with another provider in the future you don't have to copy from one sim to another.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@cmelo wrote:

Yeah, that's all I want, to transfer my contacts locally, to be able to upload them easily to the new phone.

@cmelo if you manage to get it figured out and end up on a smartphone, I'd strongly recommend you discontinue using the SIM to store contacts and instead sync either to your Google/Gmail account or Apple iCloud account.  Either is available on either platform, though of course the easiest integration is to a Google account on an Android device and to an iCloud account on an iPhone.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

cmelo

Tyank you, I will look into the phone, trying another SIM.

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have done it with my Public Mobile SIM card.  I had used my google contacts, and with an Android phone, transfered the phone numbers over to the SIM card.  I then swapped the SIM card to a flip phone, and was able to read the contacts from the SIM card.  I think you might be able to do the same.  That is assuming there is nothing wrong with the SIM card.  Maybe the flash memory is defective,  maybe the Nokia hardware is defective.  

cmelo

Yeah, that's all I want, to transfer my contacts locally, to be able to upload them easily to the new phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cmelo wrote:

90KB of data... My question is why I cannot save contacts to the SIM if I want to...

The phone works as I was able to do so, to another SIM...

Some time ago I dabbled with that on my BB OS10 with this SIM and it worked fine. Other than transferring contacts I didn't see the point.

So I would say look into your phone.

It is usually not recommended to save to SIM card but it should still be possible

Saving to a memory card or linking to a cloud account are far more conveniant

cmelo

90KB of data... My question is why I cannot save contacts to the SIM if I want to...

The phone works as I was able to do so, to another SIM...

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@cmelo ok I found this in help I didn't know   You can save up to 40 text messages and up to 250 phonebook contacts on your Public Mobile SIM card.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@cmelo You may need to consider having an external, MicroSD, MicroSDHC (up to 32 GB) expansion slot in the phone. 

cmelo

Why not?

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@cmelo I have never heard of saving contacts to a PM sim card?

Need Help? Let's chat.