cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot receive or make calls anymore

gl53274
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why does this topic come up so often ?

The phone worked and suddenly it says the good old often reported " not setup for long distance or the like" when making a local call and callers getting a busy signal when trying to call.

Account has a positive balance. No mention of any problems on self serve.

Phone has been restarted every day and problem still there.

GL

16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gl53274 wrote:

HaHa , bet you didn't know this :

"Public Mobile Inc. is a Canadian self-serve, prepaidmobile brand which is owned by Telus."

Hey it's great that you're readin' around but...yeah...we know 🙂

@gl53274 wrote:

"Public Mobile Inc. is a Canadian self-serve, prepaidmobile brand which is owned by Telus."

Hate to burst your bubble but everyone on here knows PM and Koodo belong to Telus! 

One of the reasons there are so many issues with Koodo porting is because they use the same backend!

gl53274

Anonymous
Not applicable

@krazykiwi wrote:

That is how my $10 Telus prepaid use to work,

Paid $10 per month, cost $5 per month for text the rest was used as pay per use for minutes and if I did't use all the $5 then it continued to roll over. However Telus got rid of that plan last month and......Hello Public Mobile!

Oh interesting. I think my mother and MIL are on something like that. I should check with them.

Thanks.

@Anonymous wrote:

@gl53274 wrote:

I purchased 200 min for 8$ that apparently can roll over to next months.

Phone is for a 12yr old, first phone line, wanted barebones ops since they spend enough time on the screens already. Just for safety and quick calls.

Probably got a little excited at having a real phone number for the first time.

Reminded to use PhoneGo and Snapchat on wifi as much as possible to save txt and minutes.

Will see how this evolves. The older kid (on Bell- 20$ legacy line, no data) only used 15-20 min /month after a while. Will see if that can be implemented here. If it works its a saving of a couple of hundreds/yr . Thanks for your prompt assistance.

I have the same plan. I have that add-on and the 200MB data add-on. I really don't use my phone that much anymore so so far it's working.

That was the biggest thing I needed to learn about these pre-paid thingys. Roll-over meant something else to my feeble brain. I thought it meant that you pay for the service each month and then what doesn't get consumed would accumulate for the next month. Turns out no. You pay for it once and consume the service. Then pay for it again some unknown time later. It was a game-changer for me. So I switched down to the $10 plan and got the add-ons.

That is how my $10 Telus prepaid use to work,

Paid $10 per month, cost $5 per month for text the rest was used as pay per use for minutes and if I did't use all the $5 then it continued to roll over. However Telus got rid of that plan last month and......Hello Public Mobile!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gl53274 wrote:

Phone is for a 12yr old, first phone line, wanted barebones ops since they spend enough time on the screens already. Just for safety and quick calls.

Reminded to use PhoneGo and Snapchat on wifi as much as possible to save txt and minutes.

Will see how this evolves. The older kid (on Bell- 20$ legacy line, no data) only used 15-20 min /month after a while. Will see if that can be implemented here. If it works its a saving of a couple of hundreds/yr . Thanks for your prompt assistance.

I have the same plan. I have that add-on and the 200MB data add-on. I really don't use my phone that much anymore so so far it's working.

That was the biggest thing I needed to learn about these pre-paid thingys. Roll-over meant something else to my feeble brain. I thought it meant that you pay for the service each month and then what doesn't get consumed would accumulate for the next month. Turns out no. You pay for it once and consume the service. Then pay for it again some unknown time later. It was a game-changer for me. So I switched down to the $10 plan and got the add-ons.

@gl53274 wrote:

Yes all in canada add-ons roll over until they are used up. Starting you next 30 day cycle it should use the minutes from your plan first then use the rest of your add-on.

gl53274

@gl53274 wrote:

I'll have a look, thanks. Actually I already have and it's a pain in... they could as easily tally up the minutes and tell us when we are on empty. Got this for one of my teens. Was considering jumping from Bell for Wife, Other kid and I , but if it's such a pain I might reconsider.

Yeah, a little bit of a pain but like @KMG mentioned, it will be there while you have minutes. If the call stops working than most likely it is that you are out of minutes and if you check and the tally isn't showing in self serve that also indicates you are out of minutes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gl53274 wrote:

I assume we count both incoming and outgoing minutes and round up to minutes on every call?

If I run out of minutes can I renew the plan early to get another 50 min ?

thx

These kinds of pre-paid services are rather more hands-on than the other post-paid services.

Yes. All calls in or out count and voicemail messages left.

You can get either of the available add-ons to add minutes. But if you find you're running out of those too then you might just as well move up to something like the $25 plan.

Technically you could just keep renewing early but that would get messy fast. Try the add-ons. If that doesn't work then try the unlimited plans.

gl53274

I assume we count both incoming and outgoing minutes and round up to minutes on every call?

If I run out of minutes can I renew the plan early to get another 50 min ?

thx

gl53274

I'll have a look, thanks. Actually I already have and it's a pain in... they could as easily tally up the minutes and tell us when we are on empty. Got this for one of my teens. Was considering jumping from Bell for Wife, Other kid and I , but if it's such a pain I might reconsider.

@gl53274 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Self serve does not give a balance of minutes used, as far as I can tell.

It shows how many txt left but can't see min bal.

If you are in doubt about your minutes go to your "viewusage" and you will see the calls you made and can add them up to see how much you used. Doesn't take much to use 50 minutes!

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

So you are on the $10 plan?

Once you run out of minutes, you can no longer see the balance in selfserve.  So if you see the number of texts used, but not the number of minutes, then you have run out of minutes.

gl53274

Thanks for the reply.

Self serve does not give a balance of minutes used, as far as I can tell.

It shows how many txt left but can't see min bal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gl53274 wrote:

Why does this topic come up so often ?

The phone worked and suddenly it says the good old often reported " not setup for long distance or the like" when making a local call and callers getting a busy signal when trying to call.

Account has a positive balance. No mention of any problems on self serve.

Phone has been restarted every day and problem still there.

GL

Are you on the $10 plan? If so maybe you've run out of minutes.

Need Help? Let's chat.