cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to Telus network

Bes-Vic
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I checked the IMEI # of my phone, was told it would work, bought a PM SIM Card, activated it and nothing happened - I could not connect to the network in Victoria BC, in the Montreal area and on a long trip in Newfoundland.

Paid 20 CAD for nothing.

What went wrong ?

11 REPLIES 11

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bes-Vic yes, the IMEI checker on Public Mobile's site is sadly not reliable.  The community has been asking PM to fix this for a few years now, so far with zero luck.  For better compatbility checking, please try https://www.willmyphonework.net.  It should work with just about any phone and carrier world-wide (though some models may be missing).

EDIT:  @Alan_K the inaccurate IMEI checker has claimed another victim.  I hope your team is working on replacing it with something powered by a more accurate database (such as willmyphonework).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Bes-Vic wrote:

Hi community members and thank you very much for all your answers.

I think, my phone (from Europe) will not work in the PM Network (as some of you mentioned). Before I bought the 10 CAD Canada wide PM plan, the phone worked without problems in Rogers network. 

I deactivated my plan meanwhile and will go back to Rogers :(.

The only thing I cannot understand is that PM told me (after checking the IMEI #) it would work.

Thanks again

B

If you are referring to the IMEI checker on the Public Mobile main page, it will only accurately tell you whether the phone is blacklisted or not. It isn't 100% accurate when it comes to frequency compatibility.

This is an unfortunate fact, the oracles and other community members have rallied for rectifiction for a long time without an according result so far. So there is the occasional user like you that either needs to upgrade their phone or go back onto the Rogers GSM network (as long as it's in service).

Bes-Vic

Hi community members and thank you very much for all your answers.

I think, my phone (from Europe) will not work in the PM Network (as some of you mentioned). Before I bought the 10 CAD Canada wide PM plan, the phone worked without problems in Rogers network. 

I deactivated my plan meanwhile and will go back to Rogers :(.

The only thing I cannot understand is that PM told me (after checking the IMEI #) it would work.

Thanks again

B

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Effort wrote:

Which plan did you purchase? That $20 CAD plan is province wide, which means outside of your province, it won't work.

@Effort, your reasoning isn't quite accurate.  Even with a province wide plan, you DO connect to the network anywhere in Canada.  You can even make local calls in whatever province you happen to be in.  You can also receive cals sometimes (don't remember if it's a system glitch, or if it was confirmed to be the way the system works (by a MOD)).

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Which plan did you purchase? That $20 CAD plan is province wide, which means outside of your province, it won't work.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bes-Vic if that is the correct phone, then the only provider in Canada you can use it with is Rogers, Fido, or Chatr, since Rogers is the only one to operate a legacy 2G GSM network.  FYI, they will be shutting their GSM entwork at the end of 2020, at which point point your phone will not be usable with any Canadian carrier.

On a related note, it's always interesting to see the devices people bring up in the community.  I'd never heard of this one (presumably because it appears to be from the Indian market, given it's 900MHz + 2100MHz 3G frequencies), but it came out in 2010, and sports a 3.0" 240p display, a 1000 mAH battery (I guess plenty when you're pushing 240p into 3"?), and Samsung's own proprietary OS.  Interesting beast!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Bes-Vic, is this the phone you have?  If so, it won't work on the Public Mobile network.  The required 3G bands are 850 and 1900 Mhz.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_s5620_monte-3117.php

Bes-Vic

The phone isn't locked, I did a restart.

It's a Samsung GT-S5620

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

What plan did you sign up for ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bes-Vic wrote:

Hi,

I checked the IMEI # of my phone, was told it would work, bought a PM SIM Card, activated it and nothing happened - I could not connect to the network in Victoria BC, in the Montreal area and on a long trip in Newfoundland.

Paid 20 CAD for nothing.

What went wrong ?

Did the phone say anything about being locked?

Did you restart the phone again after all the sign up stuff?

What exact make/model/version of phone is it?

tbark
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

How long ago did you activate it? Was it working originally? Have you checked on your account to see if it is active? If it is active, you can try calling 611 or you may need a moderator to check it.

To get help with your account, activation, or service?

Please contact the Community Moderator Team to get help with your account.

They are Public Mobile support employees who can help with your issue (More details).

Click here to send them a private message.

In your message please include:

PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 9pm, and Sat-Sun 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].

Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received

Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, but can be up to 48 hours.

There is no need to send multiple messages.

*I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me*

Need Help? Let's chat.