cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access the internet while making a call?

nick1469
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi PM Community!

I had an issue that I'm not sure if anyone can help me out with.

When I'm on my phone and browsing the web or using apps, data is perfectly fine. As soon as I pick up a call, my bars change from 4G LTE to 3G and the Internet cuts out and Safari tells me that I'm not connected to the internet. Then, as soon as the call ends, my status bars change back to LTE and I can access the Internet again.

I don't think it has anything to do with 3G because normally when I have 3G I can still access the Internet. However, this issue cuts off my internet completely, and only when I'm on a call.

I am using an iPhone 7 Plus.

Thank you everyone for your help!

17 REPLIES 17

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Any news here? Also, I was wondering what happens when you try and use WiFi while on the phone?

Rockdaddy22

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/09/how-hard-reset-iphone-7.html

Please try a hard rest like mentioned above, report back ASAP.  

srlawren

@brent_liza fixed!  thank you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@srlawren  I had to put in a new comment and I think I fixed the links by editing. I hope these links work now.

srlawren

@brent_liza FYI neither link seems to work for me.  Could you try going back to the threads yourself and seeing if there is a "permalink" option available?  Similar to how they look here in the PM community:

PermalinkExample.pngclicking that updates your address bar with the correct URL for the posting, which you can then copy and paste back here.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

brent_liza

It is how the apple phone is provisioned. I went to apple support forums and they all said to make sure enable lte is on. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6899849  I have even seen this is rogers forums after googling it. http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Apple/iPhone-5-No-Data-While-On-Calls/td-p/145774

srlawren

@cmatassa wrote:

I've also noticed my symbol switches from LTE to 3G during calls, 

@cmatassa FYI as noted earlier, this is totally normal since Public Mobile uses 3G for the phone call itself and does not offer VoLTE.  All LTE-enabled phones will do this for calls on PM.  On other carriers, it depends if your phone supports VoLTE, has VoLTE enabled, and the carrier supports VoLTE for that phone model, calls can be completed on 4G and the phone does not need to drop down to 3G for the duration.

cmatassa

I've also noticed my symbol switches from LTE to 3G during calls, however, I have not tried to access the internet while on a call.  Will have to try it out.

thanks for explanation @stonechucker... like you say, it shouldn't matter if LTE is selected or not under Cellular Data, but I'd be interested in knowing if that fixes the problem or not. Hope the OP updates us...

@daredogg, in the original post, the user already is on the LTE network prior to fallng back for the call to happen (expected).  As the '3G' plans really run on the LTE normally, but throtthed, and on 3G, this shouldn't be a problem.  Having to enable LTE shouldn't be required as it's already connecting to the LTE.

Strange for sure.

I'm wondering if @nick1469 has a 3G plan, and that's why this is happening?  I have LTE data, so I already have Enable LTE selected, like @brent_liza suggested. I hope that fixes the issue, because if what @PJC describes is what's happening, that makes sense.

brent_liza

@nick1469  I had this issue. I had to go to settings> cellular data options> and enable LTE. I hope this works for you as it did for me. 

@nick1469 In addition you could check for a carrier update: Settings >> General >> About - install any carrier update offered. Try setting the phone to 3G only then make a call while surfing the net. Maybe it's just the data connection not falling back to 3G when you are on a call? I leave my iPhone on 3G but rarely check data connection while on a call so am unsure what else to suggest.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren

Since I'm an Android guy and can't personally help, I'm tagging my favourite iPhone expert oracles @Luddite @Rockdaddy22 to see if they can assist.  Thanks gents!

PJC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You should still be able to use internet while on a call, so what you are experiencing is not right. But the reason why your connection changes from LTE to 3G is because Public Mobile uses the 3G network for calls and LTE network for data connection. But even so, you should be able to use data while on a call. Have you tried restarting your phone or resetting your network settings on your phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nick1469, any chance you can try your SIM in another phone, or can borrow someone' else's SIM to try with your phone?  This would confirm whether the problem is phone related or account related (which would be quite strange).

Need Help? Let's chat.