cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use SIM card on an unlocked phone

gaoll82t
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, there,

I have just bought a sim card, and was able to use on an unlocked moto G phone. Then I got another unlocked moto E4, but when I put the SIM card inside, it doesn't recognize the SIM card. Is that because the SIM card is locked with the moto G already once I put it in there? How can I use it on my other phone moto E4?

Please help!

Thanks 

Lili

9 REPLIES 9

@totalUser wrote:

Do you get an error message at all

Some phones lock themselves to the first provider used. Do you know which provider was it used with before?

You could contact them or the office manufacturer to get the needed code

Motorolas don't self lock. @gaoll82t  if the phone is locked, it says so when you turn it on.

DL888
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Sound like the 2nd Moto is locked. Do you have another SIM or does your friend or family have another SIM you can try? 

gaoll82t

Thanks for those who tried to help. It turned out that I bought the phone moto E4 from the States, and it's not supported by public mobile. So now I need to carry 2 phones.

[Self solution accepted as noone suggested E4 could be incompatible ......... Luddite]

gaoll82t

I used tello from the States. I called them, they said that my phone was unlocked and unlinked from them already. I should be able to use the phone with another carrier.

gaoll82t

Thanks for your reply. When I put the SIM card there, there's no error message or anything. It doesn't have no SIM card warning when there's no SIM card either. It just doesn't have any display of the carrier.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@gaoll82tPut another known working Public Mobile or Telus network SIM card into the Motorola E4. If it ask for an unlocking PIN, then your phone is NOT unlocked.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Do you get an error message at all

Some phones lock themselves to the first provider used. Do you know which provider was it used with before?

You could contact them or the office manufacturer to get the needed code

caritomei
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@gaoll82t, SIM cards do not lock onto a particular phone.  If the SIM card is associated with a working account, you can use it in any compatible unlocked device.  What kind of issue are you having with the Moto E4.  Does not recognizing mean, not being able to detect the SIM card?  If so you could try reseating the SIM cards. 

Need Help? Let's chat.