cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send/recieve MMS on galaxy S6

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

I'm trying to help the bf get MMS working on his "new" phone and there are limited options for the APN  type. None of them seem to work. Is there a work around for getting the APN on his phone? This is what i see......

20201023_092754.jpg

Edit: I just wanted to add in regards to the solution....the tethering APN worked but i think that was due to there only being WhatsApp installed as the phone app  with the original installed samsung phone app not on the phone nor a traditional phone app so I could achieve the final result once I installed a phone/dialer app then followed @Jb456 suggestion.

21 REPLIES 21

@Jb456 

Well this took awhile to get to the bottom of and I think it might have been slightly related to the other issue I was having with the phone.....horrible screeching static-icky reception on the callers end. Only to discover there was no phone app.....the original Samsung phone app was removed and it only had WhatsApp.

Which leads me to believe thats why the tethering APN was pushed and was working for the MMS. Once I installed a dialing/phone app I just copied the APN out of my Samsung galaxy A5 into the S6 edge (with mobile internet+ dun) saved it and rebooted the phone. Ta da!! MMS working, phone (calling)working correctly its almost a normal phone again.....

The bf has had it a week now....any wagers on how many days til he loses it? It's already got a cracked screen so there's only lost/recovered, lost/lost sand lost/stolen up for grabs. For the handicappers out there its a safe average of two months......day 61.

@gpixel 

No thats is the weird part thats when the MMS started working so i left it figuring if that's what was pushed and it works I would just leave it at least for now. I looked on my phone and its one of 11 APN choices and the first of three tethered internet APN s I have in my phone.

@darlicious those settings are probably the reason why MMS isn't working

I also have ISP.mb.com Im pretty sure you need sp.mb.com

*oh, I see. if its working, that's good!

@gpixel 

The original issue seemed to be adding the APN type. I was going to try @Jb456 s suggestion but then I decided it would be better to just switch sim cards for the time being and took my sim out of my A3 and put it in the S6 that is the settings it set up with?! Keep in mind that sim card did bounce around a couple tester phones this past week and was last in my flip phone.

Edit: Seeing as everything thing is working ( sort of but that's a whole other issue)well let's say now that he has data, MMS/SMS what's the downside of the current settings?

@darlicious tethered mobile internet isn't the same. you need to create a new APN. will the phone allow you to do that?

isp.mb.com is for tethering your Internet connection

try this first before creating new APN

try resetting your APN settings to default and then reset his network settings

1. Open Settings>General Management>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings>Tap Reset Settings
If prompted enter your pin, passcode
3. Tap Reset Settings 1 more time to confirm
4. Restart

@Anonymous I think the only other one was Mobile Internet and MMS wasn't working with it or the edit to Public Mobile but i hadn't rebooted so I can't  if they would have worked. Changing out the sim card pushed these settings so maybe it was taking the settings from my A3 to the S6 and reads it as tethered? It's beyond me.....

......a member did compare me to Darlene from Ozark but she's not exactly portraying innocent either.

.......i can confirm data works he's on messenger.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Lol......a secret double life as a seedy underworldI gangster with a sweet but naive girlfriend that unknowingly acts as his cover! I never thought of that. It would explain a lot......

It works for MMS and as far as I can tell it works for data.....he hasn't complained he can't access data.

Or IS she?! dut dut duhhhhh

Surely (don't call me Shirley) there must be a different APN name than tethered.

@Anonymous 

Lol......a secret double life as a seedy underworldI gangster with a sweet but naive girlfriend that unknowingly acts as his cover! I never thought of that. It would explain a lot......

It works for MMS and as far as I can tell it works for data.....he hasn't complained he can't access data.

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Yes this is #6 in the space of one year and that's not counting that he killed the screen on my  beloved little back up flip phone. 

OMG, clearly this guy should only be allowed to make calls or send texts, and then have to hand the phone back to someone that doesn't have a permanent case of "butter fingers"!!! 🙄

He should be the product tester for a brand of rugged phones.

I doubt they could make a rugged phone strong enough to last in his possession...... I'm thinkin' the Samsonite gorilla would look like a lightweight next to him! 😉🤣🤣

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does data work with that? I don't think that's at all right or useful.

I think I figured out the bf. He's an underworld gangster. He uses the phone for a bit but when the heat catches up to him he tosses the phone. Go diving in False Creek. I bet you find all your phones. Be very careful. 🙂 

@Anonymous 

Just don't let my bf anywhere near it. The screen would probably crack if he just looked at it. I am still learning some things here so when i research something and still cant find the answer I do have to ask a question every once in awhile! On that note.....

@Jb456 

I have another test to perform later tonight or tomorrow when the bf gets back home with the phone. He stopped in briefly and since he was using my $10 plan using the calling add on, and starting to burn thru my 4G data add ons using messenger to communicate since he couldnt send MMS. So i switched sim cards so he could use my $15 plan which has barely been used and renews in a week. Once I put that sim card in the APN was automatically set with the network mode appearing as LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect) and the APN Name: Tethered Mobile Network

20201023_135034~2.jpg20201023_135029~2.jpg20201023_135004~2.jpg20201023_135023~2.jpg20201023_135016~2.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious 

lol I can't _kill_ my Blackberry Z10 bought new in 2013. It's currently resting peacefully in its original box.

Oh. I didn't know you had all the other settings. You can try the mmsproxy.mobility.ca and 8799 too.

There's some possibilities in the MVNO fields too. But you should really know all this after all this time here.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious 

Phone should also be set to LTE,3G,2G (auto connect)

If on marshmallow 6 turn off volte if yours has that.

@Jb456 

I will get him to try that....i forgot about doing a reboot!

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious 

You screenshot shows apn type as default ...pick internet/MMS ..save and reboot phone

I have everything else set to these settings.....Screenshot_20201023-040149.pngScreenshot_20201023-040140.png

@Anonymous 

Yes this is #6 in the space of one year and that's not counting that he killed the screen on my  beloved little back up flip phone. Note the continuous downgrade in phone. At this point he would have a hard time outlasting the time it takes to blacklist a stolen phone. He should be the product tester for a brand of rugged phones. Its a very, very, very sad state of affairs.

@totalUser 

I haven't found any threads showing this to be a problem on an S6 so there must be a way for it to work. I thought Samsung phones automatically pushed these settings. He did a factory reset.  Is there another setting that should be different or does the APN type have to have default in it?

@darlicious 

Is it android 6 marshmallow or android 7 nougat?

Anyways that don't matter. Default androids provide a text field to enter them. Samsung provides your screenshot.

Pick 

Internet/MMS

Anonymous
Not applicable

NOT ANOTHER PHONE!!?? 🙂

Have you looked at networks? Maybe it's on GSM? I suppose not if other services are working.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Can you edit the settings manually?

If not contact mods with make model and IMEI ask them to push settings through SMS

Need Help? Let's chat.