cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send or receive test messages

Bboultin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just moved my service from Virgin, I am able to make calls but I am unable to send/receive text messages.

15 REPLIES 15

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bboultin 

If your Virgin SIM card still working, continue to use it until it stops working which is the indication that Virgin had released your number to PM.  Start using your PM SIM card.

Welcome to PM community support.

Bboultin

Hi, thank you very much for all of your help.  I am very happy to be a part of PM.  You stay safe to!

@Bboultin your port is probably stuck, but this doesn't explain the inability to send texts, so your SIM may have also not provisioned properly. So at this time, the Moderators is your best answer. Keep an eye on the envelope, the mods answer will show up there. Once it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing this allows the process to continue.
You can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification sent to your email.
Go into your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

Welcome to PM . Stay safe. 

Bboultin

Thank you for outlining the steps.  I followed them easily.  But still it did not work.

@Bboultin well even if you are not tech-savvy it is good to hear that you were trying what others suggested. At the end of the day the best first response is try to get get help from SIMon if that doesnt work ask in the community and lastly reach out to the MODs. You can also search in the community if the topic has already come up. 

cheers and have a great week!

@Bboultin  To reset the network settings of your phone, you have to follow these steps

1. From the Home screen, swipe up on an empty spot to open the Apps tray.
  2. Tap Settings > General Management > Reset > Reset network settings.
  3. Tap Reset settings.
  4. If you have set up a PIN, enter it.
  5. Tap Reset settings. Once complete a confirmation window will appear.

Enable data( use link to see how 

https://videotron.tmtx.ca/en/topic/samsung_galaxya5/turning_mobile_data_on_and_off.html#step=1)

Restart your phone, re-enter your wifi password if applicable, and try to send an mms(picture) message. Let us know if this works. Thanks.

Bboultin

Hi, thank you for your reply.  I am not very tech savvy I have tried to your suggestions I most likely am not doing it right. I have submitted a ticket.    

@Bboultin  do you still require help? Thanks.

@Bboultin  try a network reset. Enable data, restart your phone and try sending an mms text message.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yikes that's a long time. Try doing what @gblackma said.

Bboultin

Galaxy A5 (2017) 

Model - SM-A520W

Thanks 

Bboultin

Hi, thanks I did the port yesterday afternoon.  I can make calls but not texting

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If it has been a few hours since your port then it is incomplete.  You would need to submit a ticket to a moderator by clicking on the question mark on the bottom right.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Bboultin How long has it been since you ported your number from Virgin. It takes 2 to 4 hours for a number to port. Mabey a day. The port might also be incomplete. Or stuck. If it is you will have to contact a modetator but I would like to know how long its been since you ported before you do.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Bboultin  what's the make and model of your phone? Thanks.

Need Help? Let's chat.