cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't figure out iPhone 3 MMS APN

Mango
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am trying to configure my iPhone 3G (MC134C/A) to send and receive MMS.

I suspect the problem is the APN setting which I cannot find for MMS. The only one that appears is the one for data (which does work).

I have tried to use unlockit.co.nz which did not solve the problem.

The phone uses version 6.1.6 (10B500).  Thanks to anyone who can help.

9 REPLIES 9

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have a mint shape iPhone SE for sale. 

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@Mango I can't believe you're trying to use a phone from 11 years ago!!

Is there no other phone you can try that is newer?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BEER wrote:

@Mango wrote:

I suspect the problem is the APN setting which I cannot find for MMS. The only one that appears is the one for data (which does work).

Connect it to iTunes and try re-setting as new.

The post above yours from the resident iphone expert says that the 3G can't do MMS without a whole lotta technical effort that mere mortals wouldn't generally want to attempt.

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Mango wrote:

Connect it to iTunes and try re-setting as new.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawren wrote:

I guess anyone affected can "thank" Apple for hard-coding MMS config on their earlier devices.  Robot Sad

Well, old phones (3, 3G, 3Gs, and 4) are limited in the iOS version they can run (all version 7 and earlier), and it was in iOS 8 that Apple saw the light and switched to OTA-upgradable carrier profiles.  Prior to that, only carriers that worked with (or paid?) Apple to get their APN embedded into the OS enjoyed "plug-n-play" compatiblity.  The unlockit site is able to generate a profile that augments the build-in APN list, but it doesn't set the MMS APN (not sure if the file doesn't define this, or if it was just not included when the developers at unlockit made their tool).

I imagine an old but jailbroken iPhone could probably be configured to do MMS on Public, but that definitely goes beyond the capabilities of most users here, and not something I've ever had to dabble with.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks @CalgaryBen, that was somethng I didn't realize.  I guess anyone affected can "thank" Apple for hard-coding MMS config on their earlier devices.  Robot Sad

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Mango wrote:

Unfortunately, you won't be able to use MMS on your iPhone 3G with Public Mobile.  It'll only be MMS capable on large/encumbant carriers (e.g. TELUS, etc.) because the MMS APN settings are hard-coded into the iOS, and the unlockit profile does not set this.

Essentially, the minimum iPhone is 4S if you want to be able to do MMS on Public Mobile.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I'm going to tag @CalgaryBen and link you to his posting on older iPhones, though I'm not sure if it will help with the 3 or not:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323119/highlight....  Are you on the most recent version of iOS available to you?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Stay Safe!

Need Help? Let's chat.