cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't dial out, can only call from contacts. Help!

Sevinda
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just discovered a major issue where I can not make any calls by keypad-dialing the number, I can only make calls by calling from my contacts. If I try to DIAL a number, regardless of whether they are IN my contacts, I immediately get this message: "No cellular network available. Connect to an available Wi-Fi Network to make calls.". (I'm actually on wifi, but I've never used wifi calling.) This is a problem because if I want to dial out now, every single number has to be added to my contacts and called from there.

I have no idea how long this problem has been going on, to be honest, because I don't make calls very often, and usually only from my contacts. I started service with PublicMobile mid-last year and I know that I definitely did not have this problem with my previous cell service provider on the same phone.

What I've Tried:
- Calling a number via my contacts (works immediately)
- Keypad-dialing a number that happens to be in my contacts ("No cellular network available.")
- Keypad-dialing a number that is not listed in my contacts ("No cellular network available.")
- Receiving calls (no issues)
- Restarting the phone (did not fix it)

- Investigated phone app settings (I don't see anything that could be causing this)

- Googling (I have no idea what to search for with this very specific issue-- most people with outbound phonecall problems either have a poor cell signal or simply can't make or receive calls at all.)

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 with Android 7. I only use the default phone app to make calls. I have not tried resetting my phone-- I'd like to avoid that hassle if possible.

Help!

45 REPLIES 45

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You're welcome @Sevinda, here's another link that might help:

https://www.technobezz.com/fix-samsung-galaxymobile-network-available/

Method #3 here is similar to the network reset codes from my last post. This shouldn't alter anything else on your phone but I've never done it personally, so the backup reminder is to cover my ass lol.

Installing Google's Phone app is easier than messing with adb so you can ignore that suggestion Robot LOL

Sevinda

@fujiyama wrote:

A thread on reddit says this could be because VoIP calling is/was enabled, and to turn it off. Also try a network reset by typing this into the keypad: ##72786#

You can also try this Telus code:  *22803

You might wanna do a backup before trying the codes just in case.

Final random thought: since you seem comfortable with rooting, maybe try to find and (re)install the phone app/dialer via adb? lol

Awesome, that's the first example I've seen of somebody else having the same exact symptoms/error msgs as me.

Since I'm not yet familiar with the consequences of those suggestions, I'll have to look into it and try them later on. Thank you 🙂

Sevinda

@Daps wrote:

When you open your phone dialer app (even if it is called contacts), you should be able to access the manual dialer. Look for the "keypad" tab.

Yep, that is exactly what does not work.

Sevinda

You mentioned ROM in an earlier post. Is this the stock OS or is it adulterated?

Stock OS. No adultery yet Smiley Tongue

fujiyama

A thread on reddit says this could be because VoIP calling is/was enabled, and to turn it off. Also try a network reset by typing this into the keypad: ##72786#

You can also try this Telus code:  *22803

You might wanna do a backup before trying the codes just in case.

Final random thought: since you seem comfortable with rooting, maybe try to find and (re)install the phone app/dialer via adb? lol

Daps

When you open your phone dialer app (even if it is called contacts), you should be able to access the manual dialer. Look for the "keypad" tab.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sevinda wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sevinda wrote:

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately, my stock phone app is "Contacts", and it doesn't provide an option to uninstall. Even 'disable' (where 'uninstall' would be if I had that option) is greyed out. No dice.

Say what now?! Your "stock phone app is "Contacts""? When you go about wishing to make a call, do you click on a little old style handset icon or the silhouette of a person icon?

Edit: now I see others picked up on that too. In all that bloatware do you not see an icon of an old style handset?

Yeah, my phone's weird! I described the phone/contacts weirdness in a different reply.

You mentioned ROM in an earlier post. Is this the stock OS or is it adulterated?

Sevinda

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sevinda wrote:

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately, my stock phone app is "Contacts", and it doesn't provide an option to uninstall. Even 'disable' (where 'uninstall' would be if I had that option) is greyed out. No dice.

Say what now?! Your "stock phone app is "Contacts""? When you go about wishing to make a call, do you click on a little old style handset icon or the silhouette of a person icon?

Edit: now I see others picked up on that too. In all that bloatware do you not see an icon of an old style handset?

Yeah, my phone's weird! I described the phone/contacts weirdness in a different reply.

Sevinda

@DOA wrote:

Not sure if this helps you, but how to sideload google's phone app on a Samsung.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/get-googles-exclusive-phone-app-your-samsung-galaxy-device-01...

That could definitely be helpful until I reset or flash my phone, thank you.

Sevinda

@DOA wrote:

As fujiyama above says, it's weird you don't have a phone app.

I have a stock android phone.  No bloatware, no problems...

Yep, my phone's weird. I described the phone/contacts app weirdness in a different reply.

No bloatware; lucky!

Sevinda

@fujiyama wrote:

@Sevinda 

Do you have the "Phone" app? "Contacts" should not be the default dialer.

Can you use data properly? How about sending and receiving MMS, SMS?

So, my phone's kinda weird. There's a "Phone" app listed, but when I look at that app's info/settings it's called "Contacts". The "Contacts" app is listed as the default "calling app"; there are no other calling apps I can select, and there is no reference in my phone settings to "dialer".

So in essence, Contacts is the default dialer Smiley Tongue

Data and text messaging both work flawlessly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sevinda wrote:

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Not sure if this helps you, but how to sideload google's phone app on a Samsung.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/get-googles-exclusive-phone-app-your-samsung-galaxy-device-01...

DOA

As fujiyama above says, it's weird you don't have a phone app.

I have a stock android phone.  No bloatware, no problems...

Sevinda

@DOA wrote:

@Sevinda wrote:

Try opening Google Play store and do a search for both "phone" and "contacts"

Play store will indicate if those are installed and should give you the option to uninstall.

Oh, I wish that worked, 'cause then I could uninstall all the other bloatware apps that came with my phone. Unfortunately I don't see "phone" or "contacts" apps listed in the Installed Apps list on Google Play. Even for a lot of the bloatware that -is- listed, it does not let me uninstall those things through Google Play.

I guess you don't see a 'Dialer' app either?

Can you install google's Phone app and use it as your default?

If nothing works, you may have to factory reset, but that wipes your phone.

Nothing called "Dialer" in my phone's apps or in Google Play Installed Apps list.

I actually saw Google's Phone app earlier incidentally, and it's not compatible with my phone.

Yeah, this honestly might be the push I need to flash a custom ROM onto my phone like I've been wanting to do for a while. I'm supremely annoyed that my phone came with like 2GBs of bloatware that I can't uninstall, but now that I have an actual problem I might finally do it!

fujiyama

@Sevinda 

Do you have the "Phone" app? "Contacts" should not be the default dialer.

Can you use data properly? How about sending and receiving MMS, SMS?

Sevinda

@geopublic wrote:

@Sevinda  Also go into settings -> Apps and check all the permissions to see what apps have access to your phone dialer in addition to contacts... and if you don't recognized any of them remove or disable them to see if it fixes it.

If all else fails then unfortunately a factory reset is your only option. Smiley Sad

Good tip. Fortunately there's a way to list apps by permission status rather than looking into each app's settings individually--- aaand everything looks normal for both Contacts and Phone permissions. I think I'm out of luck.

DOA

@Sevinda wrote:

Play store will indicate if those are installed and should give you the option to uninstall.

Oh, I wish that worked, 'cause then I could uninstall all the other bloatware apps that came with my phone. Unfortunately I don't see "phone" or "contacts" apps listed in the Installed Apps list on Google Play. Even for a lot of the bloatware that -is- listed, it does not let me uninstall those things through Google Play.

I guess you don't see a 'Dialer' app either?

Can you install google's Phone app and use it as your default?

If nothing works, you may have to factory reset, but that wipes your phone.

@Sevinda  Also go into settings -> Apps and check all the permissions to see what apps have access to your phone dialer in addition to contacts... and if you don't recognized any of them remove or disable them to see if it fixes it.

If all else fails then unfortunately a factory reset is your only option. Smiley Sad

Sevinda

@Sevinda  Try the first one from this link:

https://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/samsung/galaxy-s6/troubleshooting/basic-use/you-can-t-make-voice-ca...

Click on start and Go through all the 7 steps in the first issue ,including Fixed number dialling to see if you can spot anything out of the ordinary.

Switched Caller Line Identity to Hidden-- no change in ability to call.

Fixed Number Dialing is already disabled.

Nothin' 😞

Sevinda

@Sevinda wrote:

@Sevinda  Try this:

https://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/samsung/galaxy-s6/troubleshooting/basic-use/you-can-t-make-voice-ca...

Thank you, but none of those problem/solution combos make sense with my issue. I don't have Airplane Mode enabled, and every other issue it tries to fix would imply that I can't make calls at all-- and I can, just from contacts only.

@Sevinda  Try the first one from this link:

Click on start and Go through all the 7 steps in the first issue ,including Fixed number dialling to see if you can spot anything out of the ordinary.

DOA

@Sevinda wrote:

@DOA wrote:

Uninstall and reinstall the stock phone app.

settings->apps and notifications->(see all apps)->Phone->advanced->app details->uninstall

Sevinda

@Sevinda  Try this:

Thank you, but none of those problem/solution combos make sense with my issue. I don't have Airplane Mode enabled, and every other issue it tries to fix would imply that I can't make calls at all-- and I can, just from contacts only.

Sevinda

@DOA wrote:

settings->apps and notifications->(see all apps)->Phone->advanced->app details->uninstall

@Sevinda wrote:

@Nomis wrote:

https://thedroidguy.com/how-to-fix-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-wi-fi-calling-issues-1048511

Have you had a look at this post on The Droid Guy?

I just took a look. Every how-to I've come across, including this one, references a setting that isn't present in my phone: "Settings > Connections menu and touch Wi-Fi Calling to get to Wi-Fi Calling settings." I think I've got a variant that doesn't include WiFi calling, which is even more baffling with regards to my issue. Even that article says I'd have to root my phone and install a different ROM to get WiFi calling on some variants (which I definitely didn't do).

@Sevinda  Try this:

Sevinda

@Daps wrote:

Go to phone "settings".
Select "appications".
Select "phone".
Scroll down. You can deactivate wifi calling here.

That setting isn't present. Apparently my phone variant (SM-G920T) doesn't include WiFi Calling at all by default.

DOA

Sevinda

@Nomis wrote:

https://thedroidguy.com/how-to-fix-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-wi-fi-calling-issues-1048511

Have you had a look at this post on The Droid Guy?

I just took a look. Every how-to I've come across, including this one, references a setting that isn't present in my phone: "Settings > Connections menu and touch Wi-Fi Calling to get to Wi-Fi Calling settings." I think I've got a variant that doesn't include WiFi calling, which is even more baffling with regards to my issue. Even that article says I'd have to root my phone and install a different ROM to get WiFi calling on some variants (which I definitely didn't do).

Daps

Go to phone "settings".
Select "appications".
Select "phone".
Scroll down. You can deactivate wifi calling here.

Need Help? Let's chat.