cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't call some local numbers

Kevin96
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I switched over to Public Mobile two weeks ago on the $40 promo plan, and I have been unable to make phone calls to certain local numbers. Some local numbers do work, but not most of the ones that I've tried. Mobile data on the other hand works perfectly fine. I suspect it's a problem with some settings on my phone, as it is possible to call those numbers using Google Hangouts. Interestingly, I have been able to make calls to friends on the other side of the country.

Some more details:

1. I have an unlocked Samsung S7. I have had no problems using SIM cards from Fido, T-Mobile, and some other carriers in Japan.
  2. The error message that pops up when I try to make a call is "No cellular network available. Connect to an available Wi-Fi Network to make calls."
  3. Mobile data works perfectly fine.

Here is a screenshot of the error message:Error message.jpg

(The phone number I'm trying to call is that of a local store's. Also, I know the connection is weak where I currently am, but the problem persists even when I have full bars.)

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you all in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

Kevin96

Thank you very much! Yes, I do remember it coming with the adaptors. I don't remember where I put them but I will try to look for them.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Kevin96 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions! My spare phone unfortunately has a different SIM size so I can't try it using that. I just tried a network reset, but it didn't help.

PM SIM card is a 3-in-1 SIM combo card.  It consists of a nano SIM + micro adapter + standard(mini) adapter.

Use the nano SIM alone without adapter for phone uses nano SIM

Use the nano SIM + micro adapter for phone uses micro SIM

Use the nano SIM + micro adapter + standard adapter for phone uses standard SIM

3-in-1-SIM

Kevin96

Thanks for the suggestions! My spare phone unfortunately has a different SIM size so I can't try it using that. I just tried a network reset, but it didn't help.

@Kevin96

Have you tried your PM SIM card in another phone to determine if calling works with other phone?  Helps distinguish between hardware  verus service issue.  

Maybe try network reset.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kevin96 wrote:

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you all in advance!

Is it my imagination or does this seem to be happening more and more?

This seems to be what's called a provisioning issue. You'll need to contact the mods to get them to re-do your provisioning.

Send ONE (1) private message to them here and include your phone number and PIN to minimize back and forth identity verification delays.
Forget your PIN? Then you'll need 3 of either of these pieces of information you used when you signed up: full address, birthdate, last 4 digits of CC you might have used, email address on the account, alternative phone number you might've entered when you signed up. Or, in addition, either of these to get to 3: last payment amount and date, last add-on bought and date.
And of course your question/problem.
Then hopefully they will get back to you as soon as they can between M-F 9-9 (ET) and Sat-Sun 9-7:30 (ET). But it could be up to a couple days.
Depending on your notification settings, you would get an email notifying you of a reply. Get back here and see a red blob over the little envelope in the upper right of your screen and click on it to see the message.

Need Help? Let's chat.