cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't call out on my phone

kyleb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good afternoon.
The public mobile account is on my son's cell.  He can't seem to call out (but can receive incoming and texts).  He is not over his allotted minutes, and from time to time, it does come back.  He gets a message saying that he needs to have an active long distance plan or something to that effect, eventhough all his calling is local.  Please help.  Thanks! 

6 REPLIES 6

kyleb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

wow, boy i feel like an idiot.. it's midway through his plan and i figured there was no way he could use a 100 minutes.. boy was i wrong.  But yeah, many of the calls were 10-20 seconds, so I will take the advice and get the $5 add on.  Thanks so much, the replies by everyone were awesome!!!..  

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kyleb wrote:

Good afternoon.
The public mobile account is on my son's cell.  He can't seem to call out (but can receive incoming and texts).  He is not over his allotted minutes, and from time to time, it does come back.  He gets a message saying that he needs to have an active long distance plan or something to that effect, eventhough all his calling is local.  Please help.  Thanks! 

I assumed that you had check the minutes usage line on the overview page.

His incoming call works.  My guess that his plan is $15 plan with 100 outgoing minutes.

The following is my $15 plan + add-ons usage line.  I have used 67 minutes out of my 100 minutes for my current cycle.  If you do not see the minutes usage line, his had used all his outgoing minutes for the current cycle.  You can get his the $5/500 minutes add-on.  I used 133 minutes out of my 500 minutes from previous cycles.  Any unused add-on minutes will be rolled over to next cycle. 

• Data & Add-OnsAmount Used
    $0 Free Holiday Giveaway: 1GB Add-on
    140.206  /  1024 MB
    $0 Free Holiday Giveaway: 400min INTL Long Distance (incl CA & US)
    1  /  400 MIN
    100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk
    67  /  100 MIN
    1GB Promo
    102.004  /  1024 MB
    250 MB at 3G speed
    15.574  /  250 MB
    500 min Canada-Wide Long Distance
    133  /  500 MIN

If your outgoing minutes usage line is showing, his account may not be provisioned correctly.  Adding $1 to his account may trigger PM service to provision your account account.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@kyleb  to determine whether its a phone problem or one with PM, try switching the SIM in your phone with his. What is the make and model of your son's phone ? Thanks. If you determine that it's not a problem with his phone, you could try these tricks to restart your son's phone service. You could try in order:
1. Restarting your phone. Turn your phone off, wait 30 seconds and restart.
2.Putting your phone on aeroplane mode for 5 minutes. Take it off and restart.
3.From your self service account enable the lost/ stolen feature log out, wait 5  minutes, log in and take it off. Log out and restart your phone.
4. Add a one time payment and of $1 To your account and restart your phone .

If these tricks don't work contact a moderator and ask them to reset your SIM. Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one (CLICK on account specific question and human and submit a ticket)
Once connected, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.

Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent. Also keep an eye on the envelope, the mods answer will show up there.
You can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification sent to your email.
Go into your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@kyleb 

If you have enough minutes, maybe try the following:

reboot phone

toggle airplane mode on, then off

network reset

Maybe try the SIM card in another phone.  To help determine whether hardware issue versus PM service problem.  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

What plan does your son have ?  If they have a limited minutes the check his self self serve account if no minutes are listed then they have been depleted.  You can buy 500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes $5.  Try dialing 1 before area code and phone#.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

Is he on the $15 plan? You are limited to 100 outgoing minutes. Seconds are rounded up to the closest minute. (eg. A 10 second call is rounded up to 1 minute). As well, checking your voicemail with your phone will use up outgoing minutes too. You can use another phone to check your voicemail. Dial your number and press * at the greeting.

Need Help? Let's chat.