cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Upgrade Samsung Galaxy Note 4 from Android 5.01 to 6

eyeland
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I click on "software update" nothing happens.

14 REPLIES 14

@eyeland if you're trying to use Wi-Fi calling with a phone number that is provided by AT&T, the device will need to be compatible with Wi-Fi calling and also need to be either locker to AT&T or be unlocked.

@eyeland any phone will work on wifi. if you mean mobile data then you would need an at&t plan that includes Canada roaming

eyeland

If I borrow an AT&T sim card, will it work in Canada on wifi?

@ZachDAdams 

Mobile department at Walmart won't help upgrading phone software.  They're not going to do anything unless you bought the phone there.

ZachDAdams

Hi, when I had to buy a new device I as well inconterer'd the same situation, I actually baught my device into ur like local Walmart and where they are a retail for "Public ~Mobile" they each have a representative strictly for the mobile phone now is a 2nd branch off just eltronic Dept , he works there for the mobile phone dozens of brands ie: as I said Public mobile, kodoo, lucky, virgin, etc.....

# they should b able to straighten it out 4 you bud 

eyeland

Thanks! I will try to borrow a PC or sim card of the original carrier.

@eyeland wrote:

I only have a Mac, no PC so I guess I can't use Odin.

Have you tried inserting a sim card from the original carrier and then checking for udpates? 

If that fails, and you can't borrow someone's PC to use ODIN, there always the option of custom ROMs and recoveries to get different software installed. Proceed at your own risk.

@eyeland you can always factory reset your phone and see if it'll push the update. make sure you backup your phone before a factory reset

eyeland

I only have a Mac, no PC so I guess I can't use Odin.

@eyeland wrote:

When I click on "software update" nothing happens.

One way of doing this if you know there is a update would be to used ODIN to flash it. This doesn't require root or any other special permissions, although a USB driver for your phone would need to be installed on your computer system. Note that this erases everything on your phone, and also note the possible risk that you can brick your phone if something goes wrong.

It's possible that a Marshmallow udpate was never released for your variant of the Note 4.

@eyeland try to clear the cache of the software update app from the Application Manager. This deletes the temporary data of the app which could be causing the problem.

you can also manually flash the update 

https://www.xda-developers.com/update-firmware-any-samsung-phone/

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@eyeland  Public Mobile is not responsible for software updates on your device. You need to take that up with Samsung.

eyeland

I have tried many restarts.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@eyeland try restarting your device and try again

Need Help? Let's chat.