cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Add an APN Setting

ReallyPissedOff
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It is absolutely ridiculous that PM does not push APN settings to a device and even more assine that you lock the APN settings so that users can't add them manually.

I bought a new phone and can't use the data I'm paying for because of this nonsense.  So you need to resolve this of give me my money back as you are not providing me with the service I've paid for.

51 REPLIES 51

@Anonymous wrote:

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

Nope, they are locked and I'm on PIE.

I've seen it mentioned here that just to the left of that magnifying glass symbol (search) there's a kind of hidden + (plus) sign for adding.

I'm not sure I've seen it proven out but maybe it's there.

Selecting one of those doesn't let you edit with the 3 dots?

I remember back in the android 4 and earlier days, the dots revealed a menu.  I am on android 9 and the dots only bring up the reset function.  The add APN function + sign is right next to search, totally in full view.  

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

Why doesn't PM just push the APN, it's pathetic that they force you to add/edit an APN to get data.

This is how android handles APNs.  There is a file called apns-conf.xml that resides in the system partition containing the available APNs that the OS can choose from.  Depending on the SIM card that is inserted into the phone, the OS will try to pull from the file what is believe to be possible matches.  Some OEMs do not provide a full set of APNs and as a result, the user is then required to manually enter one.  This is the situation you are facing.  Some editions of android had the add APN function disabled through default settings (I think it is in build.prop).  Android 8.1 is generally the version that had this issue.  It seems like Asus somehow carried over these bad default settings into the your phone OS and at the same time provided a less than adequate set of APNs.  Asus is not a carrier brand and so there is no conspiracy theory here that points the guilty finger at Public Mobile.  The problem is totally with the hardware OEM.  

BTW, my android experience has been pretty much 100% with unsullied android roms either pushed by google or via third party developers.  I have never had a phone where I needed to manually create my own APN.  AOSP has always included a well stocked apns-conf.xml.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

Nope, they are locked and I'm on PIE.

I've seen it mentioned here that just to the left of that magnifying glass symbol (search) there's a kind of hidden + (plus) sign for adding.

I'm not sure I've seen it proven out but maybe it's there.

Selecting one of those doesn't let you edit with the 3 dots?

ReallyPissedOff

Why should I have to crawl through the dirt in the dark in the middle of a storm to fix PM's issue?

I had to add the APN in my previous phone, so this is a PM issue.

ReallyPissedOff

Nope, they are locked and I'm on PIE.Screenshot_20190903-234229944[1].jpgScreenshot_20190903-234138935[1].jpgScreenshot_20190903-234056180[1].jpgScreenshot_20190903-234029102[1].jpg

@ReallyPissedOffThere is no "Google Policy" regarding APNs or locking. APN existed way BEFORE Google Android existed, the format was agreed on even before Google.

Another company you should write to complain is Asus. They are the ones that are in charge of the customization of the phones and they are the ones who didn't update the database and add Public Mobile in their Android OS builds only Telus and Koodo.

You can always use adb to add your APN if you wish, swapping SIM cards is not the only way.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NDesai wrote:

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

Why doesn't PM just push the APN, it's pathetic that they force you to add/edit an APN to get data.

I guess that depends on the device. I never had to enter or change any APN settings on Pixel 2 and 3. It automatically loaded the correct settings. 

Ditto old BB OS10, S7 with A8. Nokia Windows Phone 8.1 needed a little massaging but able to do it and works fine.

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

I guess that depends on the device. I never had to enter or change any APN settings on Pixel 2 and 3. It automatically loaded the correct settings. 

ReallyPissedOff

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

ASUS 5Q running PIE.

If you are on Pie (9.0), then you should have access to edit the APN settings instead of choosing Telus/Koodo. 

@ReallyPissedOff Have a look at this Reddit post, it might help. 

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

I can add an APN with a SIM from another provider, but only get Telus and Koodo's APN when I add the PM sim.

You're going to have to also point the finger at the phone manufacturers.  This is a phone softeware issue.  I do not know if Public Mobile sims have some type of code that prevents alterations on APN settings, but it just wouldn't make any sense for that to be the case.  They'd have nothing to gain from this.

Many phones running Android 8.1 and with Public Mobile sim cards inserted do allow new APN settings to be added, even if they don't allow editting of existing APN.  Some phones do not allow it. This is an issiue that crept in with the stock release of Android 8.1.  Any of the phone maufactuers could override this restriction, and some in fact, did.

ReallyPissedOff

ASUS 5Q running PIE.

ReallyPissedOff

Yep, tried that, the minute I put the PM sim back in the PM APN I created goes away.

@ReallyPissedOff I bet you are on Android Oreo (8.1). This is a know issue where users can't edit the APN settings. What phone are you using? May be there is workaround to add a new apn settings?

ReallyPissedOff

I tried that, the option is there, but the APN PM setting goes away when you put the PM sim back in.

I spent almost 18 years working at the head office of another provider, including a period of time in software developement, so I know what I'm doing.

This is 100% a PM issue.

@ReallyPissedOff 

What some people have done in the past was to use the other carrier's SIM card to create a new APN Setting that matches the PM setting, save it.  Then re-insert the PM SIm card and use the saved manual setting.  

Name: Public Mobile

APN: sp.mb.com

Proxy: Leave blank

Port: Leave blank

Username: Leave blank

Password: Leave blank

Server: Leave blank

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS port: 80

MCC: 302

MNC: 220

Authentication type: Leave blank

APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

Bearer: Unspecified

MVNO type: GID

MVNO value: 4D4F

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReallyPissedOff wrote:

I can add an APN with a SIM from another provider, but only get Telus and Koodo's APN when I add the PM sim.

So use that other SIM and add the APN info that this place needs and then insert this SIM and select the APN and that should work. Remember to save and restart as appropriate.

This is not a problem only with this place. Many other carriers have similar issues.

ReallyPissedOff

ReallyPissedOff

Because they are the ones who have decided to follow Google's policy.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@ReallyPissedOffPublic Mobile doesn't sell phones.. so why do you think they would lock APN settings? If you want to blame.. write to Google to complain, it is Android that is the hot mess.

Need Help? Let's chat.