cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Access Data

Edwin071966
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently bought a Motorola Moto G8 Power Lite with Android 9.  I cannot access data although calls and texts work fine.  I noticed the APN Setting is wrong but because they are greyed out, I cannot change them.  Anyway I can fix this without having to buy a freedom mobile SIM Card?

6 REPLIES 6

yiruiruan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

At the APNs screen, try the Reset to default option available by pressing the overflow menu button. This will delete any of your customizations to APN settings and return them to their initial state as provided by the manufacturer.

If your carrier has pushed APN settings to you, this may revert from those settings back to the ones included on your device, and get you back the ability to add new ones.

Another thing you can try is to remove the SIM card or enter Airplane mode (called "Flight mode" on some devices) prior to selecting the Reset to default option. If your carrier tries to push new APN settings to your device regularly, this may afford you enough time to perform your modifications before that happens again and you lose access to edit them

Note this MAY also be a "locked" phone so that you cannot edit it. Did you buy the phone with a specific service provider?

djoslice

Late to the game here but I had the same issue and if you use Public's automated assistant, SIMon and type "configure APN" it will take you through a step-by-step

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help

Edwin071966

Can somebody send me some kind of file to change apn settings from sp.tellus.com to sp.mb.com

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Edwin071966 ,

Other options here (https://www.getdroidtips.com/common-problems-in-motorola-moto-g8-power-lite/) may help:

Mobile data not working

Solutions
  • Your data pack might have expired. Check the same and make sure it is not the reason to this problem
  • This might be happening due to crossing your daily bandwidth limit usage. Check if this is the case
  • Make sure the actual problem is not with the phone SIM card. Refer to the solutions listed under the headline “SIM/Network Problems” in this post
  • Make sure if the internet services are facing an obstacle on your phone due to any of the possible reason
  • This can happen in some cases when the phone is updating the installed apps or is downloading the OS updates. Check if this is the reason
  • Simply make sure the actual fault is not caused just because the storage space is not available in the phone. This can happen in certain cases
  • A problem with the service provider or with the network can be a reason you have to face this fault in your phone
  • Make sure you are not confusing this problem with the slow internet speed
  • Check if the problem is caused by a poor signal strength on your Motorola Moto G8 Power Lite
  • Reset the network setting to the recommended mode in case you customize them. This can solve the problem for sure
  • Simply restart the phone and check if this help you to fix the issue
  • Turning the roaming services OFF can be a reason to this problem on your device
  • Check if the network mode selection on the phone is wrong. You might have selected a 2G network in the same when you are using a 4G SIM
  • Clear the cache partition of the device and check if this solves the problem on your device

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Edwin071966 wrote:

I recently bought a Motorola Moto G8 Power Lite with Android 9.  I cannot access data although calls and texts work fine.  I noticed the APN Setting is wrong but because they are greyed out, I cannot change them.  Anyway I can fix this without having to buy a freedom mobile SIM Card?

Hi @Edwin071966 ,

Have you tried:

• to REBOOT your phone?
  • Remove your SIM for a few minutes, then reinsert. REBOOT

You could try a network reboot.

Reset the moto g8 power lite
  1. Touch.
  2. Touch Settings.
  3. Select System > Advanced.
  4. Touch Reset options.
  5. Erase all data (Factory Data Reset)
  6. Enter your Screen Lock.
  7. Select Erase Everything to begin the reset.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Some people have had luck messaging moderators and asking for some type of APN config file.  PM Sends it to them via text message and it's installed to your phone to correct the APN settings.

Otherwise you'd need a freedom or roam sim.

Simon.JPG

Or private message at link below

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.