cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can make phone calls and send/receive text messages okay, but no data capability

philstrick
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

No idea who I'm sending this to. So strange, but I'm a happy camper here with this service.

I've already spent $10 on SIM, and then another $50 on a voice/data plan, but after 24 hours, I'm still unable to use data service. I can make phone calls and send/received text messages are okay, though a bit unreliable, but after many attemps, I'm still unable to connect to the data network. 

My usage remains to 0 (out of 4GB of data on my plan) meaning something's not working here. 

I went through many help on how to setup the APN, tho the one that's already there (telus) seems to have everything I needed.  

I've purchased the 3G option (instead of LTE) because I'm more interested in data than speed but I'm starting to wonder if I made the right choice. 

I've used the phone with 3 different cell phone providers in 3 different countries, so far without any issues at all until I switched to Public Mobile. I feel a bit cheated here and if this hasn't been resolved in a day or so, I will cancel my payment and go to a company that provides real support (rather than a robot/chatbot). 

8 REPLIES 8

philstrick
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for all the response. 

I should have mentioned that I did create my own apn as per the URL, but still nothing. 

What is my phone: it is an unlocked dual SIM Wiko U Pulse Lite with LTE and Android Nougat version 7. Pretty nice phone for the price (<200$)

At any rates, I did wipe the old APN I entered and re-entered it again and... network connected. 

Case closed. Thanks!

@wetcoaster wrote:

@philstrick wrote:

No idea who I'm sending this to. So strange, but I'm a happy camper here with this service.

I've already spent $10 on SIM, and then another $50 on a voice/data plan, but after 24 hours, I'm still unable to use data service. I can make phone calls and send/received text messages are okay, though a bit unreliable, but after many attemps, I'm still unable to connect to the data network. 

My usage remains to 0 (out of 4GB of data on my plan) meaning something's not working here. 

I went through many help on how to setup the APN, tho the one that's already there (telus) seems to have everything I needed.  

I've purchased the 3G option (instead of LTE) because I'm more interested in data than speed but I'm starting to wonder if I made the right choice. 

I've used the phone with 3 different cell phone providers in 3 different countries, so far without any issues at all until I switched to Public Mobile. I feel a bit cheated here and if this hasn't been resolved in a day or so, I will cancel my payment and go to a company that provides real support (rather than a robot/chatbot). 

Very basic trouble shooting:

- Does your phone have the required frequencies to work on the Telus / Public Mobile network? https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/m-p/198799/highl...

- Have you restarted your phone / toggled airplane mode?

- Some phones need a network reset when changing providers.

- The Public Mobile and Telus APNs aren't exactly the same (as far as I understand, also depends on the phone) - it might be worthwhile creating a new one with the exact information as indicated int @ShawnC13's link.

- We had a couple of people over the last month or so who found typos in their APN settings, after the correction data worked.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-up-Data-APN-on-your-phone/ta-p... (oops, @will13am has already posted this one!)

BTW: "3G data" is still working on LTE where available - you have LTE latency but the upload and download speeds are capped at 3Mbps.

@wetcoaster wrote:

@philstrick wrote:

- Does your phone have the required frequencies to work on the Telus / Public Mobile network? https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/m-p/198799/highl...

- The Public Mobile and Telus APNs aren't exactly the same (as far as I understand, also depends on the phone) - it might be worthwhile creating a new one with the exact information as indicated int @ShawnC13's link.

- We had a couple of people over the last month or so who found typos in their APN settings, after the correction data worked.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-up-Data-APN-on-your-phone/ta-p... (oops, @will13am has already posted this one!)

BTW: "3G data" is still working on LTE where available - you have LTE latency but the upload and download speeds are capped at 3Mbps.

If it were not for carrier phones, the APN configuration file in the phone would have data for every carrier in the world.  This sounds likes a Telus sourced phone where they deleted all but their own APN.  I just hate carrier phones and the games they play on them like this one. 

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@philstrick wrote:

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

you may need to do a factory reset if it is a LG phone.

@philstrick, I would suggest getting the APN settings for your phone from apn-canada.gishan.net/  as already stated sometimes certain phones need to be reset when coming from a different provider but that doesn't sound like your case as this phone has been used in multiple countries and with multiple providers.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@philstrick, judging from your description, it seems like it is an APN issue.  Telus APN is different from the Pubic Mobile APN.  I suggest manually creating a new APN with the necessary settings for Public Mobile service.  Follow this knowledge base thread on how to set up data on a phone.  BTW, please indicate what make and model of phone you have.  Forum members can provide more focused feedback with this information.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-up-Data-APN-on-your-phone/ta-p...

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi sorry to hear your data issues. What phone are you using?

Sometimes a network setting reset is needed for Android or deleting all the existing Apn then installing a new one.

A good article on data settings can be found bybsearching for keywords Apn and PM-GUIDE (remove "-" during the search) 

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

First of all, feeling cheated doesn't help. If it isn't the phone, then it will probably be the APN setting. Noone is trying to cheat you. I'm on the 3G plan, and you'll be satisfied once you get it working. Don't threat to leave, just leave if you're going. You knew when you signed up that support for Public Mobile is online, so there's no point in getting snappy over that. That being said,

- Can you post a screenshot of your APN settings. That's usually where the problem lies.

- Also, what phone are you using?

Stay calm, and if it's a compatible phone, we'll get it working.

GC

Need Help? Let's chat.