cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an iphone5 locked to bell be unlocked and used with public mobile ??

Dlesp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Want to buy a new phone either nexus 4 or an iphone 5 but the iphone is locked to bell.. can i unlock it and use it with public mobile?

12 REPLIES 12

Seb
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm with Cyber. Don't purchase an iPhone !!!!

@Dlesp,

Unlocking an iPhone 5 cost way too much.

Purchase a Google Nexus 4 or 5. They are factory unlocked from Google !

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

I was reading the reviews of the above phone, and they were mainly negative.

Have you read them? If not, you may wish to do so before purchasing the phone, or using a used one already in your possession.

You can buy a refurbished Moto G from Telus online. I bought 2 of them (1st Generation) and couldn't be happier.

If you do buy one, I would advise against upgrading to Lollipop (5.x.x). The improvements from KitKat (4.4.4) are minimal, and the headaches many.

FYI.

Martin
Legend
Legend
You're quite welcome!

Dlesp

fkn awesome thanks dude u been a major help

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi again,

Thank you for the link.

The phone operates on all the frequencies that PM uses. It's therefore a perfect match.

Enjoy your new phone!

Cheers.

Dlesp

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

If unlocked, it can potentially be used, depending upon the frequencies. You need 850 MHz and 1900 MHz for 3G voice communication, and 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz for 4G LTE HSPA+ data.

Do you have a link to the phone with frequency specs? I'll research it for you.

Cheers.

Dlesp

can i use an unlocked xperia ion if it was locked to rogers before the unlock?

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

If you are looking for an unlocking service, try cellunlocker.net which has garnered positive comments from customers.

If you are going to use an unlocking service, I strongly suggest Nexus over iPhone. The latter is more complicated and time-consuming to unlock.

Cheers.

Dlesp

awesome. been with public for a while just recently broke my phone lol

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

You can use either phone on PM's network as long as the phone is not locked to another carrier.

PM cannot unlock a phone that is locked to Bell. Either Bell has to do it, or visit eBay to find a reputable unlocking service.

Though early, welcome to Public Mobile.
Need Help? Let's chat.