cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Public Mobile locate my phone via the SIIM?

Maiden
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Google can't locate my phone for some reason, can Public Mobile?

20 REPLIES 20

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Maiden wrote:

People need to realize it's the same thing as stealing ones computer as it really IS a mini puter.

@Maiden this is why it's vital to secure your phone with a passcode and fingerprint, that way they don't get access to all the stuff on it.  Also make sure you sync everything important to cloud services (e.g. contacts to Google Contacts, photos to Google Photos, back up your text via schedule in SMS Backup & Restore and auto-sent to your Google Drive,  WhatsApp messages can be automated to backup as well, etc) so you don't loose anything important if your phone is lost or stolen.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Maiden

Thank you very much, I'll put it on this one.

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If you have an Android phone and would like to make it easier to locate your phone in the event that it is lost or stolen I would highly recommend installing and activating Google's Find My Device on your new phone. It's part of Google Play protect.

Features

• See your phone on a map. If current location isn’t available, you’ll see the last known location.
  • Use indoor maps to help you to find your device in airports, malls, or other large buildings
  • Navigate to your device with Google Maps by tapping the device location and then the Maps icon
  • Play a sound at full volume, even if your device is on silent
  • Erase the device or lock it with a custom message and contact number on lock screen
  • See network and battery status

Here's a video on how it works. More details on how to set it up can be found here.

Once it's setup you can find it by going online here.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Maiden

Thank you I tried everything except sending him a text because OUTGOING TEXTS DONT WORK IN THE U.S. UNLESS THE RECEIVER HAS THE SAME APP. Be great if Public fixed that!

My daughter and friends tried texting my phone. It rang for a day next day straight to voicemail next day rang, then back to voicemail.

The man who found it had every opportunity to call back or try other phone numbers as I didn't suspend my account for 5 days.

Yes there had been one web call, that would be the one call to my daughter. After that the finder used almost all my US data but made no other phone calls...so he's decided to steal my phone.

People need to realize it's the same thing as stealing ones computer as it really IS a mini puter.

Kudos to OnePlus for sending me a new phone before I got back to Canada and Public for quick new SIM delivery.

sandpublic

@Maiden wrote:

Thanks but I can't turn on Location sharing on my phone from that link. The man who found my phone tried once to call my daughter and he must have turned the volume down as she could hear him but he couldn't hear her. I had hope after that but he hasn't tried since which is completely frustrating.

I'm going to suspend my Public Mobile Account so I have a question, once I suspend it, will someone be able to find me via my phone? Its a Oneplus 6.

Not a good idea because then the person that found it might not be able to call you back or answer your calls. What happens if you call the number? What happens when you login to your account under usage history? Is it showing any activity today?

Maybe try sending a text asking him to call you back at another number or text your return address.

@Maiden Once you suspend service you cannot be located as no signals will be going to the SIM.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Maiden

Thanks but I can't turn on Location sharing on my phone from that link. The man who found my phone tried once to call my daughter and he must have turned the volume down as she could hear him but he couldn't hear her. I had hope after that but he hasn't tried since which is completely frustrating.

I'm going to suspend my Public Mobile Account so I have a question, once I suspend it, will someone be able to find me via my phone? Its a Oneplus 6.

sandpublic

@sandpublic wrote:

@Maiden wrote:

So can someone tell me, when I go to check if anyone is using my phone, what the Call Type 'Web' is? There was one made at noon yesterday on my phone, after I lost it.

Thanks

Type web means your phone was usind data. If you login to your google account under security settings to you see your device listed there?

Also goto

https://account.google.com login and make sure location sharing is turned on. Also check the device information logs to see if the device is still registering with Google. If it is try the locate my device via the online interface.

mik101

Some phones even have a spot now when you click the emergency button to see any allergies or medical conditions a person may have, which could save your life if Paramedics or a first aider happen to check it, as we seem to be past the days of medic-alert bracelets and whatnot. Thinking about that makes me feel so old. Lol.

@mik101 wrote:

This is why the emergency contacts in my phone are family members and not just yourself. If someone finds it legitimately lost, rather than stolen, they can contact someone to have it returned to me. I know this sounds unlikely, but I've found and returned 2 other people's phones before, and would like to hope someone would do the same for me if I ever lost it.

I did it 2 times too! Good suggestion!

mik101

This is why the emergency contacts in my phone are family members and not just yourself. If someone finds it legitimately lost, rather than stolen, they can contact someone to have it returned to me. I know this sounds unlikely, but I've found and returned 2 other people's phones before, and would like to hope someone would do the same for me if I ever lost it.

sandpublic

@Maiden wrote:

So can someone tell me, when I go to check if anyone is using my phone, what the Call Type 'Web' is? There was one made at noon yesterday on my phone, after I lost it.

Thanks

Type web means your phone was usind data. If you login to your google account under security settings to you see your device listed there?

Maiden

Yes, the battery on a Oneplus 6 lasts forever if the phone isn't being used so it most likely has been found by a theif. No, no PIN. Changed all my passwords on the important stuff yesterday. 😞

Maiden

Thanks

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Have you tried calling the phone?

If your phone has pin lock, whoever has the phone cannot make outgoing calls, but they can answer incoming.

If calls are going directly to voicemail, your phone was likely turned off. In this scenerio, there's a good chance it was stolen. Or it shut down due to low battery.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Maiden wrote:

Only possible if phone is still turned on. In theory they can give a good idea but I would not expect it.  I would not expect a carrier to do this unless it is some case of law enforcement involved.

sandpublic

@Maiden wrote:

If I report the phone lost/stolen then whoever finds it can't call me right? So there's a catch 22 if I ever saw one.

My friends say their service provider can find their phone so I thought I would ask. Google can't find it correct, using Google Find My Phone which is odd because it was on (as was location) when I lost it.

Think I'm outta luck unless PM can help me out.

I'm afraid so. If it was lost you still should be able to use find my device to locate it. 

Maiden

If I report the phone lost/stolen then whoever finds it can't call me right? So there's a catch 22 if I ever saw one.

My friends say their service provider can find their phone so I thought I would ask. Google can't find it correct, using Google Find My Phone which is odd because it was on (as was location) when I lost it.

Think I'm outta luck unless PM can help me out.

sandpublic

@Maiden wrote:

When you say Google can find it do you mean logging into your account and using the find my device option.? If your phone was stolen then PM would likely not be able to help either because more than likely it's not connected to their network.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Maiden- in general, any carrier can locate a phone that is connected to their network (assuming it is not disabled (if that's even possible).

If you are asking PM to track down your phone for you (because it has been lost or stolen), then i don't know if they would do that without police intervention.

If it is lost/stolen, and Google can't locate it, you should log in to your self serve, and report it lost/stolen.  That way it can't be used with your PM SIM. 

Need Help? Let's chat.