cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use the Redmi Note 7 on Public Mobile?

amansg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
30 REPLIES 30

zhangygo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have used Redmi Note 7 Pro for over 5months with PM (txt+call+data plan). No problem at all. I can apply 4G data plan but 3G is good enough for me.

For those who are waiting for Global version, no more Global ROM for MIUI10. I am guessing those Redmi Note7 with Global ROM might apply the lower version of MIUI?

Also, no more Redmi Note 8 but Redmi K20 Pro. This year Xiaomi decided to seperate the brand of XiaoMi cell and Redmi Note. Redmi Note is the one of the main competitor for Huawei Mate Pro

bravo_md
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Rdmi note 7 is good to go onthe PM system.  My friend has one on this system.

ofs

Yes, info in the link says it is an unlocked phone (not locked to a specific carrier)

hocuspocus

Posting this as a public service.

mik101
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just wanted to add that there won't be a global model of the Note 7 Pro at all as per Xiaomi's announcement today.

The note 6 pro global band support is decent.

Hopefully the note 8 pro in the fall will bring a return to the global models. Strangely the Taiwanese models seem to support an additional band that some of the Canadian carriers use that the global model doesn't support (b2), but it shouldn't matter for most folks.

TMG33
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi , I am now using a MI A2 global version , works perfect , all chinChiphones should work fine as long as there the globsg version

amansg

awesome thanks!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@amansg wrote:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-6-Pro-3GB-RAM-32GB-ROM...

so anyone know if the phone in this link would be fine for public mobile

@amansg looks like yes

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

amansg

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-6-Pro-3GB-RAM-32GB-ROM...

so anyone know if the phone in this link would be fine for public mobile

@hzmy wrote:

@sandpublic wrote:

Not true. The minimum it should support are as follows:

4G
B4 (1700/2100 AWS 1)
B12 (700)
B13 (700)
3G
B2 (1900)
B5 (850

B4 is required.

B12 B13 is optional.

@sandpublic

B13 is never deployed by itself, so there's no reason to have it as a minimum requirement. B12 I agree with. It's the only band in some rural areas. The only other one would be B5, which is the main low band in some urban areas and would dramatically enhance indoor/underground coverage.

amansg

You think this would work?

Or would it be the same as the Redmi Note 7 one I sent earlier

amansg

Makes even more sense thanks, I'll look for the global version of this now

mik101

In addition to what sandpublic said you could also check out the Redmi Note 6 Pro -- thats why you can't find the 5 pro that I have, it was replaced in the fall.

https://www.mi.com/global/redmi-note-6-pro/

Just be 100% sure it's the global variant. It will make your life much simplier than trying to unlock the bootloader and reflash a chinese variant to global spec. Avoid indian variants altogether for most of their phones as they usually have lower spec cameras.

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If you can't wait for the Global version take a look at the Umidigi f1 or f1 play or if you want a better camera the Umidigi S3 Pro they are very well built phones run stock Android 9 are unlocked and support all the NA bands.

amansg

Ahh thank you, had no idea

jotsang

@amansg wrote:

isn't the version I linked the global version?

Official Global ROM means Chinese version flashed with Global ROM. Search for Global version in aliexpress instead.

amansg

So if I get the redmi note 5 Pro, I'd have no issues whatsoever? Might just get that instead in that case. How about the original Redmi Note 5 global version? I can't seem to find the pro

amansg

isn't the version I linked the global version?

amansg

But wouldn't 3g be fine?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hzmy wrote:

@sandpublic wrote:

@hzmy wrote:

As long as you have band B4, which I believe it should, you can use public mobile.

4G
B4 (1700/2100 AWS 1)
B12 (700)
B13 (700)
3G
B2 (1900)
B5 (850

B4 is required.

B12 B13 is optional.

@hzmy  @sandpublic strictly speaking, LTE in general is optional.  As long as you've got the two bands of 3G, you can get talk, text, and HSPA+ data.  That said, Band FOUR is the core LTE band, where as any others that PM supports (see here, from @sheytoon : https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/m-p/134356#M5822... ) are optional and will get you extra LTE coverage in some areas of the country (some are for better urban coverage, some for rural, etc), but if you want LTE coverage, band 4 is the main one you want to look for.

EDIT: see here for even more detail:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/td-p/130581/page...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

hzmy

@sandpublic wrote:

@hzmy wrote:

As long as you have band B4, which I believe it should, you can use public mobile.

4G
B4 (1700/2100 AWS 1)
B12 (700)
B13 (700)
3G
B2 (1900)
B5 (850

B4 is required.

B12 B13 is optional.

mik101

The current "global" 48+5mp models don't have B4 either FYI.

They're not meant for us.

Personally I'm also waiting for a Note 7 Pro and then I can give my RN5Pro to the Fiancee.

Not looking forward to being stuck with MIUI for another 30 days waiting for a bootloader unlock code then.

I love 3rd party AOSP based roms, what can I say?

sandpublic

@hzmy wrote:

4G
B4 (1700/2100 AWS 1)
B12 (700)
B13 (700)
3G
B2 (1900)
B5 (850

hzmy

@mik101 wrote:

It does not have B4, I just checked.

Wait for a global variant.

Yes. Chinese version doesn't have B4.

I know aliexp has some global versions on sale.

mik101

It does not have B4, I just checked. (And neither does the Chinese variant of the Note 5 Pro that I have -- but the global variant does). Once a global rom becomes available for that device they will be able to be reflashed (after unlocking the bootloader) but if someone on here has to ask, then they're not going to go to that trouble. Especially with Xiaomi increasing the bootloader unlock wait-time to around 30 days now.

Wait for a global variant.

hzmy

mik101

I'd wait for the global variant of the Note 7 Pro.

My Redmi Note 5 Pro works fabulously (global model).

As always use a site like GSMArena to check the bands available on the device.

With so limited LTE support, do not buy unless very.cheap.  Also won't resell very well if you upgrade later.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amansg wrote:

Here is a link to the phone:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-7-4GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Snapdragon-660-Octa-Co...

According to gsmarena...barely LTE data. You could use it if there's a tower with that frequency. Otherwise voice and 3G (actual) data would be fine.

sandpublic

@amansg wrote:

Here is a link to the phone:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-7-4GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Snapdragon-660-Octa-Co...

No, it's missing B2 so I would not recommend it.

Need Help? Let's chat.