cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I take out the SIM card from my ancient LG and just put it into a Samsung Galaxy3?

joannjules
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Or do I have to get another SIM card for the Samsung?  Already checked and the Samsung is compatible with the Public Mobile services.  Thanks in advance!    Joann

6 REPLIES 6

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@joannjules, yes you can jump between any compatible phones, and as the others mentioned already with very nice visuals you can take the pieces out to make the SIM fit (i.e. micro and nano).  However, I highly recommend keeping those extra pieces in case you need to put the SIM back in other phones that aren't nano and/or micro.  So suggest you put those extra pieces in a small bag or something in case you'll need to go back to that LG or some other phone.  Comes in handy.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Another picture showing how the 3-in1 SIM card works.

Your old LG phone may be using mini(standard) SIM with the nano SIM card + micro & standard adaptors.

Your Samsung Galaxy S3 is using mico SIM card = nano SIM + micro adaptor.

3-in-1-SIM

It would one of the newer SIM cards that have three sizes.  You can punch out the SIM card to match the size. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 8.28.09 PM.png

Looks like above.  If your SIM is like above, you just need to push/punch out to right size.  If not, then you can either buy a new SIM card or you could cut the Standard size to micro or nano.  You can Youtube the procedure.  

@joannjules wrote:

Thanks...where would the three punches be on the SIM card?

All newer SIM cards are so called triple punch.  There are two removable adapter rings that fit around the smallest SIM card size to change the size to suit any phone.  The very old sim cards are fixed size. These fixed size sim cards can be cut to smaller size although not recommended.  Worse case if you have a SIM card sizing issue, you can buy a new SIM card or cut the old one.

joannjules
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks...where would the three punches be on the SIM card?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Depends on the size of the sim in the old phone vs the sim size of the new phone. And if the sim is a triple punch one or not.

Need Help? Let's chat.