cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Calls work. No Data. Cannot edit/add APN. "Automatically select network" fail.

As far as i know, android 8.1+ does not allow users to edit apn. it is stupid.. i know

Re: Calls work. No Data. Cannot edit/add APN. "Automatically select network" fail.

@NewZQ wrote:

As far as i know, android 8.1+ does not allow users to edit apn. it is stupid.. i know

I fully realize that there are some phones running Android 8.1 that do not allow APN edits or APN additions, but that doesn't include all phones running 8.1.

Whether or not you can edit or add depends on the specific sofware that the phone maker has put onto the phone.  I played around with a Moto x4 that had Android 8.1 and it allowed users to add new APNs. 

Refusing to allow users to edit existing APNs has been going go long before Android 8.1 on many phones.  However, it is starting with 8.1 (and only 8.1) where a bunch of different phone models (specifically those using software identical or similar to stock Android) didn't allow customers to add a new one either.

Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 agreed--can confirm I can edit APNs to my heart's content on my OnePlus 5T running 8.1.0 (on OxygenOS 5.1.x)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was reluctant to take on the responsibilty and leg work to solve this problem. But I finally caved and followed the instructions in your links.

My home internet isn't very fast, so I tried downloading the Command Line Tool file rather than the full Android Studio Bundle (ASB) onto my laptop. After remembering I'm not great with computers, I ended up downloading the full file anyways (took about an hour).

I searched online to figure out how to enter "developer mode" on my Zenphone and how to open the Android Debug Bridge (ADB) shell tool on my laptap. I connected my phone to my laptop and realized my ancient laptop, running Vista, can't open ASB.

Pretty frustrated about this whole thing.

I"ll try visiting a Freedom Mobile location next.  Trying this solution found in another thread about this same issue.

This is pretty much my last resort before I accept the various offers from Koodo to switch my service from PM.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@will13am and rest of replies, thanks for confirming what I suspected was the problem I'm experiencing. I'm pretty upset and frustrated, but it's good to know I'm not the only one having this issue.

As mentioned in my other reply. I will try inserting a Freedom Mobile SIM to "trick" my phone into allowing me to edit the APN.... or I'll just switch back to Koodo.

Technology eh... Smiley Frustrated

Mayor / Maire

Thanks for the update.  That is frustrating.  Keep us updated.  Your situation may help others in the future.  Good luck.  Hopefully, the Freedom mobile sim "trick" will work.

Oracle

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 agreed--can confirm I can edit APNs to my heart's content on my OnePlus 5T running 8.1.0 (on OxygenOS 5.1.x)

We talked about this before.  There were certain versions of oreo for certain devices that had the APN editing locked down.  This never affected the OP devices.  We have the perfect storm here; Asus did not supply a proper apnconf.xml file and APN editing is locked down.  The essential phone had the APN lock down for some time as well until the September edition of security update restored functionality.  During the lock down phase, there was no issues using the Public Mobile service because th apnconf.xml was not defficient. 

Oracle

I am going to revive this thread.  I found an RFD member who wrote a script to bring back the add APN function.  Download the apk and side load it.  Follow the instructions as discussed in the thread.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/solved-fido-apn-miui-10-cant-add-apn-2239645/

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I can not find the apk link Smiley Very Happy

Edit: But this seems interesting.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@NewZQ wrote:

I can not find the apk link Smiley Very Happy

Edit: But this seems interesting.

It's post #12.

Your link was something I linked to earlier and also the thread that will13am linked to included similar steps.