cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls that don't ring and then leave voice mail

dschmidt20
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Receiving several calls every day from a local number that go directly into voicemail. Phone never rings. I have the number on the Block List of my phone but still getting the calls and they are significantly decreasing the available time on my account.  The solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

30 REPLIES 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dschmidt20 wrote:

Finally, I'm up and running. Thanks to everyone who offered their suggestions.  It certainly was a combination of things. 

Reviewed the instructions for purchasing the add-on and found that the add-on had not been added to my program.  Did this and now my phone is working.  

Geez:  Can they make it anymore complicated.

My call forwarding options are set correctly.  However, the 32 seconds for accessing my voicemail is recorded as useage.  So if I am listening to messages and it takes 2 minutes, I then would have 48 minutes left on my plan. 

Actually, I do have one question.  With this 500 minutes long-distance feature, if someone calls me, does the system then take those minutes from that plan or do I need to call them back.  Thanks.   

All calls using airtime (except toll-free out) in/out will use those minutes until your plan renews. Then it'll revert to your plan minutes. Yes...you calling your voicemail uses minutes.

Usage details are one thing. The actual counter is what matters. People calling you that drops to voicemail *should* not increment the counter. They might briefly...and then it reverts back to the previous count.

Weather callingout or in, the minutes are the same, but PM will only take the 500 minutes while your plan minutes are out.  

dschmidt20

Finally, I'm up and running. Thanks to everyone who offered their suggestions.  It certainly was a combination of things. 

Reviewed the instructions for purchasing the add-on and found that the add-on had not been added to my program.  Did this and now my phone is working.  

Geez:  Can they make it anymore complicated.

My call forwarding options are set correctly.  However, the 32 seconds for accessing my voicemail is recorded as useage.  So if I am listening to messages and it takes 2 minutes, I then would have 48 minutes left on my plan. 

Actually, I do have one question.  With this 500 minutes long-distance feature, if someone calls me, does the system then take those minutes from that plan or do I need to call them back.  Thanks.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dschmidt20 wrote:

I just checked my email on my computer and see that you posted a message related to being charged for voice mail.

Always Forward is disabled

Forward when busy, Forward when unanswered, and Forward when unreachable are all set to forward to 16475804001

So I don't know why those charges came through.  I didn't even know this setting existed.

Right. Sorry. Your prior post...that is correct. It's all correct. Are you sure you mean consuming your minutes on the overview counter and not confusing with seeing the calls in your usage details? It's the counter that matters.

On your other (maybe related) matter...did you eventually get the 500 minute add-on?

Edit: the $10 plan is every call in or out that you actually use air time for. If you don't answer it, it should go to voicemail and not consume minutes. Most toll-free calls don't count either.

So then now looking at your view my usage pages...all those consuming calls (not voicemail, not toll-free) will show real time but it gets counted as rounded up to the next minute.

dschmidt20

I just checked my email on my computer and see that you posted a message related to being charged for voice mail.

Always Forward is disabled

Forward when busy, Forward when unanswered, and Forward when unreachable are all set to forward to 16475804001

So I don't know why those charges came through.  I didn't even know this setting existed.

dschmidt20

OK, I received the same response as you indicated: :

Call forwarding unconditionally

Voice: Not forwarded

@dschmidt20 

It looks like that you loaded available funds to purchase the $5 long distance add on for 500 CDN minutes.  However, did you then purchase the add on as a second step?  Do you see the long distance add on for 500 minutes in your overview page in My Data & Add-Ons   section?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/m-p/198974#M22...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dschmidt20 wrote:

I did.  I responded OK to the change it wanted to make.

The code does not set anything. It asks the phone what is currently set.

When I dial that in my Android 8 phone, I get

Call forwarding

unconditionally.

Voice: Not forwarded

I'm trying to see what your phone says.

The long distance thing seems to be a different problem.

dschmidt20

I just put the SIM card in another phone.  Getting the same result.  Need the long distance plan.

dschmidt20

I did.  I responded OK to the change it wanted to make.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dschmidt20 wrote:

Unfortunately, no change.  

It's an inquiry of a setting...not setting a setting.

Do you get some kind of response back after dialing that code?

dschmidt20

Unfortunately, no change.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dschmidt20 

What result do you get after dialing

*#21#

?

dschmidt20

Unfortunaley, the lost/stolen trick didn't work.  Tried it twice.  Waited about 5 minutes and tried and then waited about an hour.  Have also tried other solutions posted that didn't work for me.  Will send another email to moderator.  They haven't responded to my request two days ago.   

Try the lost phone trick. To report your phone stolen.  Login to your account.  Choose  Plans and Add-ons tab. Then choose  Lost/Stolen Phone  tab.  The choose  Suspend Service  tab.  Logout.  Wait few minutes. Login in and report your phone found  If you still have problems tthen  contact a moderator by messaging them.   Moderator can be reached at   https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

dschmidt20

Added the $5.00, recycled the phone.  Tried this morning, same message.  Have tried all kinds of tips that have been suggested.  My renewal date is the 26th, so if it isn't working by then.  I'll have a new provider. From some of the many posts with problems with their service, I'm not the only one with this one.  If you have any other suggestions, let me know.  Thanks.  

dschmidt20

Thanks. I'll add the other $5.

dschmidt20

I think I have solved the problem of the 647-580-4001.  Since I haven't been able to access my voice until the suggestion posted that I check it from another number.  I think this number is the source of my voice mail box since I have ascertained the Public Mobile uses the Telus phone system. Why it has popped up twice today when no voice mails is strange except that it is letting me know there unheard voice mails since I can't access the voice mail system. Given that checking my voice mails is logged as a call, this makes sense. 

Changed the ring, but can't test since calling my cell number automatically goes to the voice mail.

Hope Public Mobile soon fixes their problem.  From the posts, I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dschmidt20 wrote:

I just checked my voice-mail from a land-line. No messages from this number.  Yet, I get 2 to 3 calls a day and many of them are over a minute and several over 2 minutes and they are counted in the minutes used.  .  

I'm on the $10 plan. It's been my observation that people calling in and dropping to voicemail do NOT count minutes.

I wonder if your global/overall call forwarding is set to your voicemail number. THAT counts minutes. But the other busy/no answer/not connected call forwarding to voicemail options do not. Check your dialer to make sure the main call forwarding is not set.

Using your phone to check dropped messages WILL use minutes.

dschmidt20

I just checked my voice-mail from a land-line. No messages from this number.  Yet, I get 2 to 3 calls a day and many of them are over a minute and several over 2 minutes and they are counted in the minutes used.  .  

@dschmidt20 wrote:

Yes, it is showing in my account and when the technician looked at my useage last evening she definitely was adding them in.  I added the plan she suggestion.  The balance is now $5.00  .  point, I would just be happy to get my cell service back.  Been 3 days without it.

Sorry to add to your stress, but just in case, are you aware that the add on process is a two step process. You add $5 to your account, then you add the $5 add on. If this is not news to you, I'm sorry. Just wanted to make sure you knew.

dschmidt20

Yes, it is showing in my account and when the technician looked at my useage last evening she definitely was adding them in.  I added the plan she suggestion.  The balance is now $5.00  .  

I replied to the technician's email this morning that the problem has not been fixed. No response yet.  

From other posts, other subscribers are experiencing the same problem of receiving message that they do not have a plan that covers long distance, even though the number being dialed is not long distance.  Same message when I access my voice-mail.  . 

Been with Public Mobile since January.  With the number of people experiencing similar problems with their service, wondering now if I made the right choice. 

I have ascertained that the voice mail is coming from a telus customer. At this point, I would just be happy to get my cell service back.  Been 3 days without it.

Is the add on you purchased now showing on your "My Account?"

dschmidt20

My service was cut off because I exceeded the 50 minute plan. Without these voice mails, I would still have remaining time. The representative confirmed that I exceeded the plan so she must have been counting them. I've been down for 5 days.  The solution she gave me last evening didn't change anything.  I'm still getting a message, like others, don't have a long distance plan.  Purchased one per her suggestion.  No difference even though I have recycled the phone on and off with the sim card and as someone suggested that worked for hin/her, recycle with the sim card out. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ChuckYeah wrote:

@popping wrote:

@dschmidt20 

Which phone are you using?

I am using an Android phone, LG G5.  When my phone went into deep sleeping mode, my phone will not wait up in time to ring my Android phone before my call is forwarded to my voice mail.

You'r probably going to think I'm crazy, but I've heard of people who had this issue and changed their ringtone and it fixed it. Default or something basic like ring, ring or beep, beep. It may have just been a cooincidence, but it's easy to try.

As for the issue at hand, is the client aware that you can check your voicemail from another phone, such as a landline?

Thanks.  I will try a simple ring tone.

@popping wrote:

@dschmidt20 

I am using an Android phone, LG G5.  When my phone went into deep sleeping mode, my phone will not wait up in time to ring my Android phone before my call is forwarded to my voice mail.

You'r probably going to think I'm crazy, but I've heard of people who had this issue and changed their ringtone and it fixed it. Default or something basic like ring, ring or beep, beep. It may have just been a cooincidence, but it's easy to try.

As for the issue at hand, is the client aware that you can check your voicemail from another phone, such as a landline?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dschmidt20 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@dschmidt20 wrote:

Receiving several calls every day from a local number that go directly into voicemail. Phone never rings. I have the number on the Block List of my phone but still getting the calls and they are significantly decreasing the available time on my account.  The solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Not the best solution but...you can get a 500 minute Canada wide calling add-on for $5. This adds 500 minutes of Canada wide calling to your current plan, but those minutes don't expire at end of 30 days...they roll over until you consume them, even if it talkes 3 years to do so.

Look in Plans..scroll down to Add-ons.

Good luck

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dschmidt20 wrote:

Those calls should not be counting against limited minutes. Of course they'll show in the usage log.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@dschmidt20Nothing much you can do, if you want to conserve your minutes then turn off voicemail using this hack. Listening to voicemail counts as minutes against your plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.