cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls "breaking up"

jonathanbaylis
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been on Public Mobile (PM) for years and have put up with silent seconds in the middle of calls, when the person on the other end tells me they can't hear me or my call is "breaking up."  Moderators have told me to restart my iPhone; not helpful.  This happens on nearly every call I make or receive.  Do all PM customers experience this?  Do I need to change providers?  Do PM customers get full access to the Telus network?  Or are we receiving leftover bandwidth?  Can anyone help me with this?  My wife and I are both using the iPhone SE, an excellent unit IMHO.  Thanks in advance for your kind help.

110 REPLIES 110

@gpixel wrote:

this is very interesting

Screenshot_20210612-173048.png

say bye bye to public... and free phone plans! NOOOOOO!!!!

just so everyone understands what Telus just did. they basically took pm out of the picture... they are getting things ready to move pm customers to Koodo. I wouldn't be surprised if credit checks are waived in the next couple years. maybe it's already gone. in that case, pm is on the high track to being decommissioned

Postpaid carriers have better plans than Public Mobile is nothing new. For about a year, this was routinely the case with even Koodo sometimes having better price plans. While things are slightly better now at the $35 and $50 price points, the plans at Public Mobile had gotten pretty bad in comparision.  Public Mobile is all about rewards.

this is very interesting

Screenshot_20210612-173048.png

say bye bye to public... and free phone plans! NOOOOOO!!!!

just so everyone understands what Telus just did. they basically took pm out of the picture... they are getting things ready to move pm customers to Koodo. I wouldn't be surprised if credit checks are waived in the next couple years. maybe it's already gone. in that case, pm is on the high track to being decommissioned

@Langlois 

I think your best option is to talk to a Telus rep and find out what they say about public. if they reply with the same answer to your text. I would hold off on the cellphone booster and just switch to Koodo or virgin. there's a good chance that 850mhz spectrum will also be decommissioned in your area and you will have no service again

@Langlois 

probably an employee.

Telus is the dominant force in Courtenay. I would try the cellphone booster. They are probably decommissioning 1900mhz band to make room for 5g

Langlois

Please explain who sent the message then? I took a screenshot exactly as it was sent, as you can see it says it’s sent by the Public Mobile Support. Tell me how they know my daughters phone  number and that she has opened a ticket due to problems with voice calls?

@softech wrote:

@Jade_S   can you confirm if 416-797-1284 is from Telus/Koodo sales team? 

And  can you confirm after we opened our support ticket, does sales team has access to check the details of the ticket, obtain  the phone number and send us sales related text?

I'll say that I believe that the message is pure nonsene.  First off, the mesasge claims to be from Public Mobile network support (and not a sales team). Also, as I stated before, Public Mobile does not provide support by text message.

end of 2022 is supposed to be our projected throttle limit upgrade 😭

@Jade_S   can you confirm if 416-797-1284 is from Telus/Koodo sales team? 

And  can you confirm after we opened our support ticket, does sales team has access to check the details of the ticket, obtain  the phone number and send us sales related text?

@Langlois 

Well that is a toronto phone number.

Edit:

From a quick google search....

416-797-1284 is a Cell Number phone number operated by TELUS Mobility and is located in the city of Toronto in ON. 416-797-1284 has been searched 6 times on YP.ca

Langlois

Sorry the top of the screen shot was cut offD383FAD6-529D-406C-9F2D-15C53B8B433A.jpeg

@Langlois 

The phone number or short code would give us a good idea.

@Langlois wrote:

Then who sent it?

@Langlois is there a phone number or digits attached to the sender?

Langlois

Then who sent it?

@Langlois wrote:

Here is the text message she received PublicTech Support. 
D677B0A5-756A-4E67-A27F-09068E143452.png

@Langlois 

Interesting text. 🤔

What number did it come from?

2025 sounds nice, but honestly I feel it's also a bit optimistic of them. 2022 is 100% impossible.

@sheytoon wrote:

That's terrible info if it's actually from a Telus tech. 3G will absolutely not be shut down by end of 2022.

Maybe the Koodo/Telus sales will got "shut down" before 2022 if not meet the sales quota..  🙂

@Langlois 

What was the short code that text was sent from?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheytoon : I actually came across a mention of 2025 in Wikipedia the other day.

That's terrible info if it's actually from a Telus tech. 3G will absolutely not be shut down by end of 2022.

@Langlois wrote:

@Langlois 

Public Mobile does not provide support by text message.  Furthermore, a clear warning is how the explanation about the 3g network shutdown is worded in the form of a guess.  Also, while I have also opened tickets before, Public Mobile does not send customers text messages about it.

@J_PM 

Can you please comment on the text @Langlois' daughter recieved from public mobile support? It gives the impression that public mobile customers will lose their calling services in the next 18 months.

Seeing as calling is the backbone of a mobile provider....that kind of message followed up with the suggestion to switch to koodo or telus is a slap in the face to every single one of public mobile's subscribers. How many customers did pm lose in Manitoba over a poorly worded text message warning of loss of calling service there? Which ended up actually affecting very few customers. That was a concerning loss of one of the two 3G network bandz used in Brandon and Winnipeg. 

Sending this to a customer in Telus' home province borders on fear mongering and could cause serious unintended consequences to both pm and their customers ( or soon to be former customers) and really hit Telus' bottom line and their reputation as an industry leader.

@Langlois  you have opened a ticket with Mod?   If so, did anything reply via the Community Inbox (envelop on the top right) .  Mod will work with you via the private message of the Community inbox.  I don't think they use SMS to solve you case, that sounds like Telus Sales team try to get you into Koodo and Telus

Langlois

Good to hear from someone in our area, we have had hood service up until the past month. We are set for 3G talkworks great most places except in our house. Check out the text message my daughter got from PM tech support.

Langlois

Langlois

We do not have a landline.

Langlois

I will ask my daughter in the morning,

@darlicious wrote:

You also have an interm option while pm works on your signal/service issues of installing the fongo app that works on both wifi and mobile data (0.5mb=1min/250mb=500min). You could could program certain un/conditional call forwarding of your pm number to your fongo number while at home so you wouldn't miss or drop any incoming calls. @Nezgar can advise you how to best program your phone to suit your current calling needs/issues.

Yeah I commented suggesting that possible workaround earlier in this thread. 🙂 Only an option if OP actually still has a landline. But then as you mentioned, Fongo, Textnow, etc could be a workable fallback option if on WiFi...

@Langlois 

That text is an overzealous and unscrupulous telus/koodo commissioned salesperson spreading misinformation. Telus is not decommissioning the 3G network anytime soon and when they eventually do in order to upgrade their network to 5G they will have already begun switching public mobile's calling to voLTE.

The recently promoted/departed community manager @Catherine_T  confirmed pm/telus is already exploring voLTE calling after the surprising non-renewal of license sharing agreements for one of the two 3G bandz needed for calling around Brandon and Winnipeg, Manitoba. There has been minimal disruption to calling service for the vast majority of affected customers but it has sped up telus' timeline for the implementation of voLTE for public mobile customers.

You also have an interm option while pm works on your signal/service issues of installing the fongo app that works on both wifi and mobile data (0.5mb=1min/250mb=500min). You could could program certain un/conditional call forwarding of your pm number to your fongo number while at home so you wouldn't miss or drop any incoming calls. @Nezgar can advise you how to best program your phone to suit your current calling needs/issues.

@cellphoneuser1 

lol. anything can happen.

@Anonymous wrote:

Calling @wetcoaster in that area of the Island... 🙂

Master called? 🤣

Center of my universe these days is close to CFB Comox. I used to live in the old Orchard area but I hardly cross the bridge anymore. So not sure if the following is of any help to the OP?

I've reported before, that, in the shop, I have the talk line in my dual SIM Android phone set to 3G so that the step of switching from 4G data to 3G talk doesn't need to be performed. I seem to be on the edge of coverage (or too much interference?) there. 99% of all calls come through now instead of going directly to voicemail (which was about 50/50 before). It's been quite stable this way during the last 7 or so months.

If I'm taking a call I try to avoid metal interference, call quality seems to be reasonable, no complains from the other party. I guess the shop would be a candidate for an indoor booster... still researching though.*

No official texts from PM regarding discontinuation of the 3G network here... So I'm in the camp that wonders about the exact text and what number it came from.

* From my testing the Telus signal is slightly stronger than Rogers. I have not tested Freedom so far, I think they officially launched the local network sometime last year.

Need Help? Let's chat.