cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls "breaking up"

jonathanbaylis
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been on Public Mobile (PM) for years and have put up with silent seconds in the middle of calls, when the person on the other end tells me they can't hear me or my call is "breaking up."  Moderators have told me to restart my iPhone; not helpful.  This happens on nearly every call I make or receive.  Do all PM customers experience this?  Do I need to change providers?  Do PM customers get full access to the Telus network?  Or are we receiving leftover bandwidth?  Can anyone help me with this?  My wife and I are both using the iPhone SE, an excellent unit IMHO.  Thanks in advance for your kind help.

110 REPLIES 110

we know pm is better, that wasn't the point. these new 3g plans look like they are for these customers having calling issues... plus one of the posts said they were seeing "Koodo" network. 🤔

the $25 plan is a "promo" and the new $35 plan seems to be replacing it. I would imagine that $25 plan is going to be moved and become $25/1gb 3g plan

I'm a curious guy, I wanna know what they're upto...

we're getting volte everyone!🙏

.. so we are a bit happier now?  Koodo is still pricer with in the cheaper plans  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel wrote:

*new update

what are these guys doing? lol

price increase?

So you finally made me look...you're not talking about prepaid. Apples - oranges. But their $15 base is 100 minutes total and no data. And then expensive add-ons.

No thanks.

*new update

what are these guys doing? lol

price increase?

Screenshot_20210614-173042.png

@Langlois 

You have wifi so fongo should fufill that need at home once you set your call forwarding to your fongo number that way any calls that you would normally miss to your pm number at home will now ring thru to your fongo number. Fongo works on mobile data as well.

@Langlois 

or get a textnow number for free and forward your phone to it. you don't need the sim, just the app

www.textnow.com

Langlois

Yes that’s the thing you can’t beat the price! I hope it gets sorted out as I would like to stay with Publicand have recommended it to friends and family. I guess I could break down and get a landline again as talk is the main issue right now.

@BearFBI wrote:

CRTC basically wants carriers to turn into Public Mobile. Now if all three offer these plans in every teir, then Telus has to do something to make PM more appealing like offer better plans. 

To be fair.. PM still have a tiny bit of advantage.. Rewards.. remember we have members here paying just $10, $5 or even $0 with the service here with the the rewards   🙂

@BearFBI wrote:

@gpixel Wait a minute, Aren't these plans required by law now that the CRTC put that in place? 

Koodo is being forced to offer those plans and instead of making them 4G to attract people, there making them 3G to not a attract people yet still follow the requirements. 

CRTC basically wants carriers to turn into Public Mobile. Now if all three offer these plans in every teir, then Telus has to do something to make PM more appealing like offer better plans. 

They want carriers to offer lower price. The 3g speed is Koodo's doing. They don't have to do that. Koodo doesnt want to create internal competition and get customers to speend less.

@Anonymous 

lol I am. and I hope I'm wrong 👍

sorry for scaring you guys

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel : Obviously anybody speculating anything could end up correct...some day...I think you're drawing premature conclusions.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@gpixel Wait a minute, Aren't these plans required by law now that the CRTC put that in place? 

Koodo is being forced to offer those plans and instead of making them 4G to attract people, there making them 3G to not a attract people yet still follow the requirements. 

@Langlois 

Ask your moderator for the new tech team ticket reference # for the next time you want an update.

Langlois

Oops didn’t answer your other question. I agree it’s weird I didn’t get the same text, we all had to put in separate tickets for the same issue. My daughter was dealing with a different moderator. I verified the text was legit with my moderator and posted their reply email here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BearFBI : gpixel4 happened with his theoretical speculations. I concede the MB matter and maybe now Courtenay (more speculation).

Langlois

No we all have BC phone numbers, we live in the Comox Valley on Vancouver Island. 

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Wow I'm late to this thread. Can someone explain what's happening. 

@softech wrote:

so.. they can technically just walk out?? they have no obligation with CRTC on creating "competition"??

Telus does not have to keep Public Mobile open. At any time, the brand could be closed and the customers be merged into one of the other brands. Please note that no decision has been made, and even if there has been one made, there isn't anyone at the company who is authorized to discuss it. So, anything that you're hearing from network support, sales people, or moderators is unverifiable.  Also, for the most part, staff that interacts directly with customers wouldn't usually have this information anyway until after (or just very shortly before) an official statement is made.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech: Search spectrum licenses at industry Canada for public Mobile. You won't find any. Search Telus and you'll find a bunch.

The cell industry just got slaughtered by the big 3 recently. They can basically do whatever they want now.

I'm not ready to come to the same conclusion gpixel4 has. But we'll see.

I don't see any obligation or consequence. They've also done this in the past when they felt some heat. They created a 3rd fighter brand when competition tried to gain market share, then they drop to 2 brands again when it dies down. In the past Telus had clearnet, Bell had Solo.

so.. they can technically just walk out?? they have no obligation with CRTC on creating "competition"??

What license?

... no $25 plan on Koodo.. 😞

I wonder if Telus can just walk away from PM and return the license???

it seems Koodo created those plans in anticipation for the shut down. I don't see how international text is that big of an advantage... I'm wondering if these plans also have volte?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Langlois : 8 pages on a slow internet connection on my mobile...did you say whether your daughter has a phone number from Manitoba?

Also how come then you didn't get this text?

Langlois

Here is the response I got when I asked about the text my daughter got when they advised her to switch her plan to Koodo or Telus

FA815261-8082-4A1B-BB33-0FC12AD5F204.png

Langlois

It seems they dropped my ticket again although it was being looked at by a Tech person who actually called me an assured me they would look into it.  It’s been over a month now with calls breaking up. I would think once a ticket is in place they would give you some answers and close the ticket. Nope they just drop it and pick it up again once you contact them. Today I verified with a moderator that the text my daughter got was from PM I will post a screen shot.

I think they are on their way out... encouraging us to move to Telus or Koodo.

Only national SMS/MMS on those "starter" plans, not international like PM...

I tried to call that number.  No one pick up but voice-mail indicate is someone from Telus.

I am not sure if talking to a Telus representative would  find out much info about the future of PM....

Need Help? Let's chat.