cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls dropping

melanssd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been experiencing a large number of dropped calls at certain times of day. I live in Nova Scotia and take the 102 from Halifax to just past Truro, in the morning around 6am it works great and all day in the city I do not have issues. In the afternoon, the closer the 5 the worse it in, it can drop 6 to 10+ times in my 1.25 hour journey. It happens wether I am calling a landline or mobile number and regardless of carrier. I have a 3G plan and I have my phone set to 3G currently. It is an iPhone SE. I only started experiencing this issue in the last few weeks. Are Public Mobile customers a lower priority on the towers? Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas how I could solve this issue?

18 REPLIES 18

melanssd

I do not, it was fine all week then Friday it was right back to dropping.

melanssd

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I don’t believe it is an LTE or coverage issue as it only happens late afternoon, the same locations earlier in the day are fine. 

I am not holding the phone either direction, it is in my phone holder in the truck and I am talking on bluetooth. 

Everything is crystal clear then out of the blue it will drop, no warning what so ever. 

I wonder if a recent iPhone carrier update is causing an issue for Telus (PM) 3G calls?

It seems affected users are iPhone users without VoLTE using the Telus core network.

I can say from personal experience there's no prioritization between any Bell or Telus brands on the RAN / "towers".

Anonymous
Not applicable

@oliveb08 

Why would you stay for 6 years with such problematic calling? Were you constantly calling 611 for help to no avail?

Seems with the loss of the call centre that this is not the right fit for you anymore. This is now the support model. Your fellow customers can try to help or you send private messages to the employees called moderators.

oliveb08
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@LovesToPM wrote:

@fastwagn  Sorry to hear about your issue. I wonder if Public Mobile is lacking coverage in your area.

Did you think service changed recently for you OR was it always like this?

@melanssd, apologies for "hijacking" your post. Please keep us informed of your status.

Dropped calls have been an issue for at least 2-3 years now. My coverage in my area is fine, I live in Barrie its a large city. Besides doesn't matter where I live because I travel ALL over the GTA. I could be in Hamilton, Pickering, Newmarket, Muskoka, Toronto, Markham, doesn't matter still dropped calls. The times I tried another family members sim from Bell and Rogers I did travel those days all over GTA withone a single dropped call. Put my sim card back in and back to dropped calls. Honestly I've avoided this problem because I can't stand this method of troubleshooting and customer service, I understand why PM does this to save cost to keep plan fess lower. I chimed into this thread to state another PM member was having same issue not thinking I'd have to reply so many **bleep** times, i'm busy and can't keep replying to these posts. Thanks to anyone else who gave positive input that replied to me.

BTW since ive been with PM I've iphone 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and they all dropped calls on PM network. My other family members too, these phone were mostly brand new unlocked bought directly from Apple, some were used.

@fastwagn  Sorry to hear about your issue. I wonder if Public Mobile is lacking coverage in your area.

Did you think service changed recently for you OR was it always like this?

@melanssd, apologies for "hijacking" your post. Please keep us informed of your status.

@fastwagn wrote:

So I have a family of 4, me, wife, kids.

my initial post under my fastwagn account regarding the dropped calls I posted under my correct account. When I replied, I didn't realize I was logged into my daughters account. I HAVE BEEN A PUBLIC MOBILE CUSTOMER FOR 6 YEARS. Not my daughter, it's not a prank.

This is real life, calls dropping costantly... I'm haven't posted this problem because I hate this form crap, it's slow and stupid method. I was a customer of PM before the Community forum was even created, so I would CALL and speak to a REAL person. So you won't see my as a member for 6 years on here but I AM.

My wife left PM because of all the **bleep**ty service we receive, I'll be doing the same soon as well as my son. I signed up my daughter today and sure enough her plan doesn't etc...etc.. same old same old PM story.

I'm unsubsrcibing to this threat, I'll deal with my dropped calls until I switch to Lucky.

Take every variable you want for the dropped calls, driving, not driving, in my home, not at home, dozens of different people i'm on the phone, anytime day or night.

IT DROPS CALLS and it's not my phone. I put a bell sim card and rogers and they both work for the whole day without a dropped call.

You asked for ideas to resolve the dropped call issue you're currently experiencing. Several community memebers responded with helpful ideas.

It kinda sounds like you're going to leave PM and go to an alternative. If possible could you come back here later and let us all know how you make out and how good it is ?

Good luck wherever you go.

fastwagn

So I have a family of 4, me, wife, kids.

my initial post under my fastwagn account regarding the dropped calls I posted under my correct account. When I replied, I didn't realize I was logged into my daughters account. I HAVE BEEN A PUBLIC MOBILE CUSTOMER FOR 6 YEARS. Not my daughter, it's not a prank.

This is real life, calls dropping costantly... I'm haven't posted this problem because I hate this form crap, it's slow and stupid method. I was a customer of PM before the Community forum was even created, so I would CALL and speak to a REAL person. So you won't see my as a member for 6 years on here but I AM.

My wife left PM because of all the **bleep**ty service we receive, I'll be doing the same soon as well as my son. I signed up my daughter today and sure enough her plan doesn't etc...etc.. same old same old PM story.

I'm unsubsrcibing to this threat, I'll deal with my dropped calls until I switch to Lucky.

Take every variable you want for the dropped calls, driving, not driving, in my home, not at home, dozens of different people i'm on the phone, anytime day or night.

IT DROPS CALLS and it's not my phone. I put a bell sim card and rogers and they both work for the whole day without a dropped call.

@fastwagn  your dilemma is interesting. As others have pointed out, Public Mobile and Lucky Mobile use the exact same towers. Perhaps you should create a new post and can elaborate on your dropped calls.

@oliveb08 At first, I was going to ask you for more info regarding your 2 iphone settings.
But then, I noticed you just joined forums today and have been on Public Mobile for 6 years.

Now I am left wondering... Is this a prank post? Or did you lose your previous login info or did you never need to post prior to today?

zork1984

@melanssd wrote:

I have been experiencing a large number of dropped calls at certain times of day. I live in Nova Scotia and take the 102 from Halifax to just past Truro, in the morning around 6am it works great and all day in the city I do not have issues. In the afternoon, the closer the 5 the worse it in, it can drop 6 to 10+ times in my 1.25 hour journey. It happens wether I am calling a landline or mobile number and regardless of carrier. I have a 3G plan and I have my phone set to 3G currently. It is an iPhone SE. I only started experiencing this issue in the last few weeks. Are Public Mobile customers a lower priority on the towers? Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas how I could solve this issue?

If I understand correctly you are on the calls while driving?  I wonder if it has to do with poor handoff between towers.  Perhaps take note of whether calls drop near certain proximity?  Even if PM customers are lower priority (I suspect not), I highly doubt calls will be dropped.  (Landline analogy: I don't think local calls are dropped in favour of a long distance call if the network is congested).

oliveb08

No it won't be the same, my wife and myself have been with Public Mobile for 6 years. This call dropping has been going on for a long time.

My wife left public mobile and went to lucky mobile 2 months ago and she hasn't had one signle call dropped and no other problems. Barely even notice to speed difference between 4g to 3g. We also have same phone, iphone 8 plus.

@fastwagn wrote:

Yes, I'm experiencing dropping calls constantly. Doesn't matter the cell network provider I'm calling to or location I'm in.

Calls are being dropped constantly and if Public Mobile doesn't fix this problem before my next payment date I'll switch to Lucky Mobile. Lucky mobile is only a 3g network but it uses Bell cell towers, I'll lose speed for data but at least I'll be able to talk on the phone without it dropping ever few mins.

It will probably the same problem for your phone because public mobile uses Bell and Telus towers...Smiley Wink

fastwagn

Yes, I'm experiencing dropping calls constantly. Doesn't matter the cell network provider I'm calling to or location I'm in.

Calls are being dropped constantly and if Public Mobile doesn't fix this problem before my next payment date I'll switch to Lucky Mobile. Lucky mobile is only a 3g network but it uses Bell cell towers, I'll lose speed for data but at least I'll be able to talk on the phone without it dropping ever few mins.

@hairbag1   I have seen a number of issues with iphone dropped calls. If possible, might be good to try with another type of phone.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@melanssd  You can try changing network mode on your phone.
Phone settings >> Cellular >> Cellular Data Options >> Enable LTE
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/My-observation-of-PM-3G-vs-LTE/m-p/304065...

Other questions to consider:
Do you use hold or use the phone differently in the afternoon?
Like are there other Apps running on your phone during the afternoon that may not be running in the morning?
How often do you reboot/restart the phone

Hope these might help. Please keep us up-to-date.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Public Mobile service does not receive any reduced priority compared to the other Telus brands.  All access is treated equally.  Might be worthwhile looking at the tower map to see if there's coverage holes.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@melanssd wrote:

Do you have access to a different cell phone to try it along the same route ? 

Need Help? Let's chat.