cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling, Texting, Data work fine, MMS not working

flong
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

There are plenty of threads just like this one here, but I haven't found anything that works yet.

Transferred my SIM from Xperia X Performance to new Xperia XZ2. Everything works fine except for SMS. Can't receive or send them.

I'm pretty sure I've tried everything posted here but nothing has worked so far. I'm using the build int Android "Messages" App. A friend of mine who uses an Xperia XA1 Ultra has had the same issue for months and can't figure it out either.

I manually changed APN settings and now I've got data working, but no MMS. HALP!

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

flong

SOLVED: I made a bonehead move when typing in APN settings manually. I put a space after one of the commas in the APN Type field. Whoops!

Don't do this...it will cause the entire thing not to work!

I'm also wondering, why isn't all of this automatic when you insert your SIM card? I've had lots of smart phones and never had to do any of this manually?

[Exact error highlighted ...... Luddite]

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah! Try adding ,mms to your APN Type field in APN settings.

Edit: everybody jumped on that typo :smileyhappy:

@flong These are PM 's APN settings. Check yours against it, or post a screenshot so that we can help you check them

APN settings:
Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri,dun
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

flong

Data is working. Literally the only thing missing from my life right now is MMS, multimedia messaging. Items come in and won't download. Also can't upload them either.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@flong 

MMS uses wireless data to se\nd/receive.

If your data is working, check your APN setting.

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

flong

Whoops, I mean MMS isn't working. But everything else is. Thanks

flong

Thanks for the reply. I've tried everything there and no luck.

Although some of the settings in the Messages app appear to be missing. I even tried installing an old version of "Messaging" from my Android 6 but it wouldn't open on my new phone. I'm using "Messages" version 5.4.087 on Android 9. Although my SMS settings appear to be correct so I don't know. Everything is as it should be as far as I can tell.

I'm going to get ahold of a Mod and see what happens. Thanks again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try typing SMSC in the above search box. You'll find lots of threads about not texting.

Check your SMSC number. It should be +16475800172

Scan for and try to connect to another network. They won't let you in. Then scan for and find Public Mobile and re-connect. That might set some things.

Clear all caches and memory of the texting app and then force close.

Possibly even find the HiSuite instructions to remove the app and then re-install it from the Play store.

You mention in your subject line that texting works. SMS is texting. Do you actually mean MMS?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@flong try these steps buy the droid buy to troubleshoot this issue. https://thedroidguy.com/how-to-fix-your-sony-xperia-xz-premium-smartphone-that-wont-send-or-receive-...

Let us know what, if anything works. To contact the moderators and ask them to reset your SIM, if required. Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon.  Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one (CLICK on account specific question and human and submit a ticket)

Need Help? Let's chat.