cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call & data simultaneously

doe
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi. After reading https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/LTE-to-3g-when-calling/ta-p/90691 I assume that 3G coverage is available wherever 4g LTE is. So e.g. if I have a phone without 4G LTE support but only with 3G support it will work in all 4G areas. Correct?

Also after reading that article I assume that if I make or get a call my phone switches from 4G LTE to 3G for a time of call/SMS. Are data connections established before switch handled seamlessly or are they interrupted?

So e.g. if I have VoIP call started over data connection and at that time incoming call comes is my VoIP call interrupted or just put on hold?

Does PM support simultaneous data and voice connections in any phone configuration, e.g. do I need to disable 4G LTE at all and use only 3G for that?

3 REPLIES 3

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@doe

See answers below.

@doe wrote:

Hi. After reading https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/LTE-to-3g-when-calling/ta-p/90691 I assume that 3G coverage is available wherever 4g LTE is. So e.g. if I have a phone without 4G LTE support but only with 3G support it will work in all 4G areas. Correct?

Generally, yes. There are starting to be a few places indoors with LTE only antennas, but these are extremely rare at this time.

Also after reading that article I assume that if I make or get a call my phone switches from 4G LTE to 3G for a time of call/SMS. Are data connections established before switch handled seamlessly or are they interrupted?

Only calls require 3G. SMS stays on LTE. Data connections will be briefly interrupted from the cellular network point of view, and may require reestablishment by the application you're using.

So e.g. if I have VoIP call started over data connection and at that time incoming call comes is my VoIP call interrupted or just put on hold?

If the voip application's internal timer doesn't expire, your voip call will stay up, though you will experience some call muting.

Does PM support simultaneous data and voice connections in any phone configuration, e.g. do I need to disable 4G LTE at all and use only 3G for that?

It's supported on all phones by default. 4G settings have no impact.

doe
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thank you @Luddite

Merry Christmas!

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@doe wrote:

Correct

Seamless, IF your phone can manage it.

Depends on your phone and your VOIP provider. The data connection should remain but if your VOIP provider disconnects that's it.

Again it depends on your phone's capability not PM. Certainly no problem on my iPhone.

All to the best of my knowledge.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.