cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken sim card

jakub1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

My phone keeps telling me the sim card is crashing.

It makes the phone completely unsable as I cannot use either the call/messaging function or data outside of wifi networks.

One of the techs reset my account and it helped for a week but it seems to be a reoccuring issue. Is there anyway to get a replacement sim card?

I'm looking to get the issue fixed as soon as possible

Thanks,

Jakub

8 REPLIES 8

@computergeek541 wrote:
There is also aboslutely no reason phone number would need to be ported to Lucky Mobile either other than a vendor wishing to earn a commission.  This was a very dishonest thing that the person at the store told you and did.

The advice could have come from an unethical cellular vendor. Trying to earn a sale, trying to focus customers onto sales which give the most profit for the least effort.

The advice may have come from a friend, relative, or some other person who has nothing to gain as a vendor (or who just likes Lucky). Someone who genuinely believes it's good advice, even though it's wrong.

@Bullet77 wrote:

Just a little warning I need to Change Sim card too. I was adviced to go to Lucky mobile or any one else as I wanted to keep my phone # as it would be ported over to the other carrier. A month later I came back to Public and my phone # ported back here too.

If you just change your sim card your phone # may change.

Simply changing the SIM card on the account would never change the phone number.  There is also aboslutely no reason phone number would need to be ported to Lucky Mobile either other than a vendor wishing to earn a commission.  This was a very dishonest thing that the person at the store told you and did.

Bullet77
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just a little warning I need to Change Sim card too. I was adviced to go to Lucky mobile or any one else as I wanted to keep my phone # as it would be ported over to the other carrier. A month later I came back to Public and my phone # ported back here too.

If you just change your sim card your phone # may change.

It could be broken/malfunctioning SIM card.

Or it could be broken/malfunctioning SIM card slot.

50/50 chance either way. Unless the phone's suffered drops or spills, phones break easily.

Intermittent failure could be caused by poor electrical contact - usually because of dirt, debris, oxidation, corrosion, or just chip creep. It can look clean to the eye but still be "filthy" (and intermittently nonconductive) in chemical or electrical terms.

This can be fixed by just cleaning the SIM card contacts (the gold pads on the SIM card, the gold pins in the SIM card slot if you can reach them). Pink eraser, isopropyl or electrical contact cleaner, lint-free q-tip or wipe. Always remove your battery and unplug the device before scrubbing liquids inside it, lol.

If you're inside the phone already then check the spring-loaded contact pins in the slot, straighten them out a bit if needed. Sometimes they get jammed or bent or misaligned.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @jakub1 ,

Does this happen if you put the SIM into another phone?

It does sound like you an a SIM card issue.

Pick up a SIM at any of these options:

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Have you tried cleaning the contacts of the sim card? Have you tried it in another phone to determine if it's the phone that is the problem?

You can go buy another one at a Walmart or London drugs. Then log into your account and click change sim card.

Green arrow on picture.

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

As for being refunded you have to ask moderators they work for public mobile. 

Simon.JPG

Or private message them at link below

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@jakub1 wrote:

Hello,

It makes the phone completely unsable as I cannot use either the call/messaging function or data outside of wifi networks.

One of the techs reset my account and it helped for a week but it seems to be a reoccuring issue. Is there anyway to get a replacement sim card?

Thanks,

Jakub

If you purchased the sim recently from PM you can ask one of the moderators.

Here’s  how to contact the Moderator Team (Public Mobile representative):

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

@jakub1 wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,

Jakub

SIM cards can be purchased from retail locations, publicmobile.ca or onlne at such places as Amazon.  As for a free replacement, you would need to ask a moderator.

Need Help? Let's chat.