cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken my phone, trying to use an old Bell Samsung Galaxy s4 mini

Bret
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello ladies and gents!

I've unfortunately broken my old Nexus 5. The screen shattered and it's not even usable, it won't react.

I've ordered a Pixel 4a but since it's from Best Buy, I'm afraid It'll take weeks before I get it.

I need a phone because I've no landline.

So I removed my SIM card and inserted it in the Galaxy s4 phone but it asks me for a unlock SIM code. It's my gf's old phone, I believe it used to be connected to the Bell network.

So what should I enter there? I tried 1234, didn't work.
I believe phones were provider-locked in these years. Is there a way to circumvent that?

Thanks all!

5 REPLIES 5

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Bret I'm so happy for you.  You must be right... Bell is great if you are not asking about their service or their bills. lol  Enjoy you new old phone.  Best Buy is usually fast on delivery.

Stay safe.

Bret
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Reached Bell chat technical support. Didn't had any hopes as usually Bell Tech Support is ridiculously inapt, but to my highest surprise, the agent was able to provide me with the unlock code in less than 2 sentences. I'm still in shock. So... Bell support is great when you're asking them things not related to any of the services you are paying for, apparently lol.

Thanks all!

Peace and prosperity!

@Bret  Your phone is likely locked and you need the unlock code. Luckily it is a Samsung. 

You can go to Samsung Canada website and open a live chat with them to ask for the unlock code. Link below.

https://chatbot.samsungcs-canada.com/chatbot?source=dotcom

Chat is open to 9pm eastern.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bret wrote:

Hello ladies and gents!

I've unfortunately broken my old Nexus 5. The screen shattered and it's not even usable, it won't react.

I've ordered a Pixel 4a but since it's from Best Buy, I'm afraid It'll take weeks before I get it.

So I removed my SIM card and inserted it in the Galaxy s4 phone but it asks me for a unlock SIM code. It's my gf's old phone, I believe it used to be connected to the Bell network.

I believe phones were provider-locked in these years. Is there a way to circumvent that?

Thanks all!

Your gf's Samsung phone is locked to Bell.  Ask you gf to call Bell to get the unlock code for that phone.  Stop try any code you get from internet because your phone will be permanently locked if you have 10 failed attempts to unlock that Samsung phone.

You can also get a unlock code from Samsung Canada if you want.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Bret wrote:

Hello ladies and gents!

Thanks all!

Call the previous carrier (Bell) and have them unlock the phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.